RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rx350 Tilt/Telescoping steering column doesn't always retract when key is removed

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-11, 10:27 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rx350 Tilt/Telescoping steering column doesn't always retract when key is removed

My issue is very sporadic, sometimes when I remove the key from the ignition the Telescoping steering column doesn't move. When this happens the doors do not lock by themselves and the alarm doesn't come on. The car beeping is fast as if a door is open when this happens. Now that my cylinder key is fixed. I had to lock it from the outside.

I was trying to google this problem and someone had a slightly different problem but what they did was put the key in the ignition and slide it in and out several times. I decided to try this (what do I have to lose) so I slide the key in and out several times and then it retracted by itself.

I mentioned this to the dealer and he said that he never heard of the problem and thought that the solution was even stranger. Since the car would recognize the key to turn on, it should also recognize that the key is removed and retract. He suggested maybe it needed some WD-40. I was like

So far it has only happened once since I tried the sliding in and out, but when the steering column didn't retract I did the same thing and it retracted.

Has anyone else heard of this issue or experienced it?
Old 08-19-14, 11:03 PM
superjohn
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue with my GS 430 (2001)

I have the same problem on my second generation GS 430 (2001). Except on my car it happens a few times a week. I also want to know what causes it. The car seems to think the key is still in the ignition after it is removed. Steering wheel doesn't retract, noise beeps when door is opened to tell me the key is in the ignition, etc. Oddly it never has a problem when the key is inserted.

It is like the senor could be flaky, which is supposed to detect when the key is removed. Maybe the sensor is fine but something else is failing. If anyone knows what causes this I would be very apprecitive to know
Old 08-19-14, 11:31 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

When you insert the key it physically moves a switch inside the key cylinder to let the car know that the key is in there. When the key is in the steering wheel extends, it turns off the alarm, it doesn't let the door lock, and it makes the car beep with the door open. I will bet that the cylinder is gummed up with junk from lint or dust or something and when you remove the key the gunk keeps the switch from retracting and the car still thinks the key is in there. You could try spraying some silicone or canned air in there to loosen the gunk or taking the cylinder apart and cleaning it. Otherwise a new key cylinder is about $170 without labor.
Old 08-20-14, 12:11 AM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with jakenbake. Try spraying it with lubricant and see if that corrects the issue. If not, pull the cylinder and clean it. If that still doesn't work, replace the cylinder.

NOTE:
I would NOT use WD-40 in a car lock (or pretty much any lock), EVER. You want to use a graphite spray lubricant if anything. Graphite is considered a dry lubricant. WD-40 is an oil. Oils tend to junk up over time when you can't remove them (they collect/dissolve anything non-polar that comes in contact with them). Graphite doesn't have that problem, as it's dry to begin with.