RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How long between synthetic oil changes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-11, 04:22 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did Mobile 1 every 5k miles. The first 5k oil change from the dealer I brought the oil to them to make sure they used Mobile 1 and did that for every change up to 77k when my new 450 got here. Also had them change out the 4qts of transmission fluid every 30k miles. Had oil changes done at a Toyota dealer for a lot less than Lexus store wanted.
Old 07-21-11, 04:43 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 63 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone going longer than 5K on a single change is foolish. Oil has more than one duty for the engine. It does far more than just lubrication. It cleans and removes loose deposits (via filter), acts as a cooling mechanism for the inner engine components, and much more.

I change mine every 3000 to 3500 with synthetic. My oil is fairly clean every time I change the oil. Change the filter as well as this is what collects whatever deposits the oil drags up while running through your engine.

The bottom line is, if you want a clean engine, change the oil on a very regular basis.
I got 290,000 miles on my last RX300 via this method. Would have gotten 300+ had the tranny not given out again. All because I took care of the engine that took care of me.
Old 07-21-11, 07:19 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ how much? I have not gone to a dealership for about 5+ yrs for an oil change.
Old 07-21-11, 07:28 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, I like to use the dealer for oil changes so they can give it the once over while it's in. They check systems and fluids and I think they charge about 70 bucks. Next time in September.
Old 07-21-11, 07:39 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HtownBlue
Anyone going longer than 5K on a single change is foolish. Oil has more than one duty for the engine. It does far more than just lubrication. It cleans and removes loose deposits (via filter), acts as a cooling mechanism for the inner engine components, and much more.

I change mine every 3000 to 3500 with synthetic. My oil is fairly clean every time I change the oil. Change the filter as well as this is what collects whatever deposits the oil drags up while running through your engine.

The bottom line is, if you want a clean engine, change the oil on a very regular basis.
I got 290,000 miles on my last RX300 via this method. Would have gotten 300+ had the tranny not given out again. All because I took care of the engine that took care of me.
I guess the manufacturers that specify 7,500 mile or longer changes are foolish then. A used oil analysis is the only way to know how long to safely go between oil changes.

By changing every 3,000 miles, you are not really getting any benefit from using synthetic, IMHO.
Old 07-21-11, 07:58 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Toyota, BMW, VW and I am sure others have moved to 10K mile oil change intervals. Not sure if that is with dino or synthetic oils.
Old 07-21-11, 09:13 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone tried Royal Purple Synthetic Motor Oil?
Old 07-21-11, 10:14 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
I guess the manufacturers that specify 7,500 mile or longer changes are foolish then. A used oil analysis is the only way to know how long to safely go between oil changes.

By changing every 3,000 miles, you are not really getting any benefit from using synthetic, IMHO.
BMW says their tranny fluid is good for life. Toyota says their oil changes should be no longer than 7500 miles apart from one another, BUT FAILS TO WARRANTY ENGINE ISSUES WITHOUT OIL CHANGES LESS THAN 5500 APART FROM EACH OTHER. JAGUAR had said a similar thing as well.\

Find me a mechanic ANYWHERE IN THE US that is good at his job that will tell you to wait 7500 for a change. You won't. I have seen oil analysis from various car manufacturers (through triple A exec I am good friends with) and NONE of the analysis favored longer than a 3300 mile change interval. ALL OILS begin to breakdown from a performance standpoint starting at 3000 miles according to numerous studies.

Go to your local Jiffy Lube and ask the pimple faced teenager if he thinks a NEW car that has 7500 since their last change has different oil than a car that has 4000 since last change. Even that kid would tell you you'd be stupid to wait that long.

I do NUMEROUS oil changes weekly for an organization I volunteer with. I see new and very used vehicles all with a variety of intervals. EVERY one of them with lower intervals has better oil and filter condition than those with higher mileage.

There is no magic oil fairy that cleans your oil or keep your engine from polluting your oil after 3000 miles. Engines burn carbon based fuels which leave deposits. Those deposits get in your oil and break down the oils performance. After 3000, there begins a slope of noticeable difference the longer your miles go between changes. Simple physics gentlemen.

If anyone wants to wait 7500, go ahead. More power to you. Do what you please with your ride. Hard evidence however suggests it may not be as wise to do so.
Old 07-21-11, 10:14 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1koolfella
Been using it on the RX since I bought it and did it's first change plus my other Toyota (Scion xA) since 2007.
Old 07-21-11, 10:31 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by infinirx
Been using it on the RX since I bought it and did it's first change plus my other Toyota (Scion xA) since 2007.
I agree with Infin, its a good alternative brand for sure. Royal Purple or anything made by BG are great products. BG makes a great additive as well that will help clean and manage oil flow. Highly recommend either.
Old 07-21-11, 11:39 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Find me a mechanic ANYWHERE IN THE US that is good at his job that will tell you to wait 7500 for a change. You won't. I have seen oil analysis from various car manufacturers (through triple A exec I am good friends with) and NONE of the analysis favored longer than a 3300 mile change interval. ALL OILS begin to breakdown from a performance standpoint starting at 3000 miles according to numerous studies.
Challenge accepted. Have some time on my hands at the moment.

Not trying to be rude about this. Just that I think things have changed recently where some or all of the old statements no longer hold true. Yes, they hold some truth for the 2nd Generation RX models and prior. But what about the new vehicles coming off the assembly line? What about synthetic oils?

Will be looking for(at) official studies and information from vehicle manufacturers. Not from the oil companies. Want to see some test results using the same vehicle whatever the brand.

Last edited by RX330inFL; 07-21-11 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-22-11, 06:09 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

BMW says their tranny fluid is good for life. Toyota says their oil changes should be no longer than 7500 miles apart from one another, BUT FAILS TO WARRANTY ENGINE ISSUES WITHOUT OIL CHANGES LESS THAN 5500 APART FROM EACH OTHER. JAGUAR had said a similar thing as well.\

Go to your local Jiffy Lube and ask the pimple faced teenager if he thinks a NEW car that has 7500 since their last change has different oil than a car that has 4000 since last change. Even that kid would tell you you'd be stupid to wait that long.

I do NUMEROUS oil changes weekly for an organization I volunteer with. I see new and very used vehicles all with a variety of intervals. EVERY one of them with lower intervals has better oil and filter condition than those with higher mileage.

There is no magic oil fairy that cleans your oil or keep your engine from polluting your oil after 3000 miles. Engines burn carbon based fuels which leave deposits. Those deposits get in your oil and break down the oils performance. After 3000, there begins a slope of noticeable difference the longer your miles go between changes. Simple physics gentlemen.

If anyone wants to wait 7500, go ahead. More power to you. Do what you please with your ride. Hard evidence however suggests it may not be as wise to do so.
My RX 330 manual calls for oil changes at 7,500 miles or 6 months which ever occurs first for my driving conditions.
Determining the Proper Maintenance Interval
Depending on your circumstances, you should obtain maintenance for your Lexus every 5,000 miles or every 7,500 miles. Follow these guidelines to determine which interval to use.

5,000-Mile Intervals
Use 5,000-mile intervals if you primarily operate your vehicle under any of the following conditions:
• Extensive driving on unpaved or dusty roads.
• Towing a trailer or using a camper or car-top carrier.
• Repeated trips of less than five miles in temperatures below freezing.

7,500-Mile Intervals
Use 7,500-mile intervals if you primarily operate your vehicle under conditions other than those listed above
The manual was written when dyno oil was recommended.

Hard Evidence: I did an oil analysis (Blackstone Labs) of Pennzoil Platinum that showed the oil was performing well at the 7,500 mile mark.
Old 07-22-11, 08:55 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just disregard this entire post...(except maybe the lifetime tranny fluid bit..that I agree with). If you're dying to learn more about motor oil (and how long you can run it in your vehicle) check out www.bobistheoilguy.com

There (among other information) you will find many UOA (used oil analysis) of well over 3000 miles (and even 7500miles) that show outstanding results in engine wear.

"ALL OILS begin to breakdown from a performance standpoint starting at 3000 miles according to numerous studies."

Could you post some of these numerous studies that show this?

"I do NUMEROUS oil changes weekly for an organization I volunteer with. I see new and very used vehicles all with a variety of intervals. EVERY one of them with lower intervals has better oil and filter condition than those with higher mileage."

Really? And how do you know this? I doubt you're paying for UOAs on volunteer oil changes, and you're likely not taking the time to cut open the oil filters to inspect the internals, are you?

Last edited by rcy; 07-22-11 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-22-11, 09:38 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 1koolfella
My RX seems smoother/quieter on Conventional oil (PYB,GTX) than on Synthetic oil. The performance/quality gap between Conventional,and hydrocracked Synthetic oil is getting smaller in today`s oils. Conventional oil is definitely better than it ever was. Still not sure I`ll go 5k on it though. Guess I`ll give it a whirl.

Last edited by lexus114; 07-22-11 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-22-11, 10:07 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is an article from April, 2007. Both GM and Ford have recommended over 5,000 miles OCI for over 4 years now.

http://articles.boston.com/2007-04-0...te-lubricating

Quick Reply: How long between synthetic oil changes?