RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Panel Button Corruption

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 06:59 AM
Reposado
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 Panel Button Corruption

A few days ago after starting my 05' RX330 I noticed that the Nav screen was blank. No "I accept" screen, nothing. Pressing a few of the A/C buttons I found that some did nothing at all, and some functioned, although their functions were very different than they should be. No Menus, no trip info, no climate control screens, just stereo control / station info screens that I never used to have at all.

It seemed as though that only the stereo was linked to the display now, which it never used to be. Then, pressing the "A/C off" button brought back the GPS map.

Then, after pressing the Climate Control button, my wife's side went to full cold A/C, and mine to full high heat with no apparent way to change it.

Panel buttons are still wrong after pulling the battery cable in an attempt to clear memory. I had to reprogram the windows and sunroof, but no change to the panel button function corruption.

I was able to determine that the passenger side temp up button now controls the master temp down. It appears as though some software or firmware corruption has occurred within whatever module controls those functions.

Anyone with any similar symptoms or suggestions? I can't find anything similar searching the web and kind of need to know where to start with this problem, and have no dealer nearby...
Old 07-13-11, 02:00 PM
Reposado
Driver School Candidate

Update:

While searching the forums I found the procedure for accessing the diagnostic nav menu which unbelievably has a test process for the panel buttons. Each one now has been assigned a different function than what it should be, and many of my old functions are not assigned to any button, but there doesn't appear to be any way to change them back.

So I found out that they're all wrong, now what?!?! Lexus must have had a pretty good reason to create a test that does nothing but confirm these button functions, i.e. I can't possibly be the first person on the planet to have experienced this problem.

I've also located a Lexus factory service manual which outlines the above test, and is complete with diagnostic flow charts, which documents absolutely nothing about what to do if the button assignments are incorrect.

I'm 2 1/2 hours away from the nearest dealer that I'd trust to charge me $200.00 for a diagnostic scan that will tell me what I already know.

Question is, what needs to be done to fix this problem, a reprogramming, or a replacement of whatever module must be suffering from early onset dementia?
Old 07-29-11, 07:29 AM
Reposado
Driver School Candidate

Every question you could possibly think of asking. Ever. Has already been answered.
Man this one sure has me stumped.

No fault codes, and the dealer is not quite sure what the problem is either. Wants to start swapping parts until the problem is fixed.

No way, someone must have experienced this problem before. I can't possibly be the first.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-29-11, 09:03 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try disconnecting the battery (30 min) to see if an ECU reboot will solve it. The disadvantage, you'll have to reset radio, etc.
Old 07-29-11, 09:10 AM
Reposado
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Carver
Try disconnecting the battery (30 min) to see if an ECU reboot will solve it. The disadvantage, you'll have to reset radio, etc.
Thanks for the reply. I have tried disconnecting the battery, but only for about 5 min. I'll give it another shot for sure if it takes longer than that for the ecu memory to dissolve. Heck I'll let it sit disconnected all weekend if it will fix this thing!
Old 07-29-11, 09:24 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Good luck with your debug.
Old 08-02-11, 04:16 PM
Reposado
Driver School Candidate

Disconnected the battery for about 2 hours last weekend. No help, same problem...
Old 08-15-11, 06:46 AM
Reposado
Driver School Candidate

Bump...

Any one? I can't be the only one who's ever had this problem...
Old 08-15-11, 07:37 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

This is pretty wild but since you are grasping for straws ... here it is

A while back I read (at least that is what I recall) a note about reassigning keys ... was it a warning not to do it or did it describe how to recover ... or the most likely scenario was how to get out of the key re-program option without reprogramming.

What I remember is the option of reassigning buttons [for programers it is a soft assignment] .. unfortunately once the keys get reassigned then you need to remember what the new key assignment is. So if the instruction says to reset press key 'x', you need to know where the new assigned key 'x' resides.

Good luck in your search to get to reset_to_factory mode ,,, and that might land you in a Japanese screen.

ps: Software gremlins can be removed by disconnecting the battery for 20mins or so, but any ee-prom settings can not be recovered by disconnecting 12v. (almost like biaos settings)

here is a jump point
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=29792

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 08-15-11 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-15-11, 08:07 AM
Reposado
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm able to enter the diagnostics menus ok, but unfortunately I can't find any option to correct my problem. Disconnecting the battery forced the navi ecu to reboot, but it came back the same way with all the buttons still goofed up.

It is weird that Lexus created a special test for the panel buttons with no way to change them if you do find out that they are wrong.

I've searched and searched the web, and just can't find any apparent way to reassign those buttons. If you can remember where you may have seen that note you mentioned will you please let me know?
Old 08-23-11, 11:55 AM
Reposado
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone with any knowledge of these diagnostic screens take a look and offer any advice?

Below is the 1st screen that you see after the fault code self check when entering diagnostics, and then the second screen that is accessible from the 1st. These are not actual screenshots taken from my car, I found them on the web but they are the same as the ones on my RX330. Everything that I can find here looks ok:

However when entering "model Info." from the second screen I am taken here, and this is the actual screen shot taken of my car:

This is where I think the problem may lie. The only touch buttons that do anything are the three on the upper left. (Destin. (Main) / Opening / and BG Color)

A/C Auto and A/C SW beep when pressed but don't seem to do anything. The four on the right don't even beep, and also don't appear to do anything. Also, there appears to be a blank button next to the "Set" button which also beeps but doesn't appear to do anything, nor does the set button. Any idea what that button should be, or why the other buttons don't seem to do anything?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-08-11, 10:52 AM
Reposado
Driver School Candidate

Bump. Anyone?

Summers almost over, and I have no idea how to turn the A/C off!
Old 09-08-11, 02:23 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

You may like to post/check in other CL Forum like the GS/SC/LX/LS ... The display system may be common with other models.

Salim
Old 09-28-11, 08:47 AM
Reposado
Driver School Candidate

Bump......
Old 05-16-12, 01:30 PM
Reposado
Driver School Candidate

This problem still exists, thought I'd bump the old thread just in case anyone has seen this same problem recently, I've been fighting it for quite a while now...

Quick Reply: RX330 Panel Button Corruption