RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Just Bought My 17 y/o Daughter Her First Car: 2004 RX w/nav

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-11, 02:24 PM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just Bought My 17 y/o Daughter Her First Car: 2004 RX w/nav

Safety is upmost concern then reliability. The RX seemed to fit the bill on both. I know ppl tell me that a kid's first car should be something old and crappy to help them appreciate things in the future.

My contention is that I this will be her car thru h/s, college, and into her career while giving ol dad peace of mind.

Thoughts yay or nay?
Old 07-10-11, 04:47 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nay, a Honda Accord would have been fine. Better mpg and lower cost of ownership.
Old 07-10-11, 04:58 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

Safety and reliability are good things to look for in a car for your child. The RX fits those criteria well. Was hit years ago in my 2004 by a Mazda 6. I needed a new bumper cover, they were towed away with the front end in a compact mess. The old thought was to give your kid a Volvo 240 wagon or a litle Honda Civic. The Volvo was slow, but a tank. The Honda Civic was just slow but got incredible fuel mileage. Kids would not be racing around the streets in either. Besides, they weren't cool.

Keep money aside for routine maintenance. Find a good independent shop or a local Toyota shop as needed to keep costs down. Failure to perform this maintenance will get you in the long run as with any vehicle. Get a AAA card for her to have for road emergencies.

The amount of stuff kids bring with them to college today is mind blowing compared to when I went. I see the (yes, just one) neighbor went from a Honda Accord to a Saturn Vue for their kid so they would have more space to transport things. No computers in my day, just slide rules.

I still believe most colleges do not allow freshman and possibly even sophomores to have vehicles on campus. You will want to check on that. Also, do you know where she will be going to college? If it is a very long trip on the other side of the country buying now may not have been cost effective unless you could use the vehicle locally as well. The other downside is with the RX you can put a lot to kids into it. Means that she will be the preferred vehicle to take everyone to the parties, games, trips to the store, etc.
Old 07-10-11, 04:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

If you can drive an SUV you can drive anything. It might take some getting used to if she hasn't driven an SUV much before (I felt the same way when I got my RX300 back in 2002). However, she will have a great command over the road sitting high up and the navigation can certainly help.
Old 07-10-11, 06:00 PM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Default She will be commuting to Mississippi State

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Welcome to Club Lexus.

Safety and reliability are good things to look for in a car for your child. The RX fits those criteria well. Was hit years ago in my 2004 by a Mazda 6. I needed a new bumper cover, they were towed away with the front end in a compact mess. The old thought was to give your kid a Volvo 240 wagon or a litle Honda Civic. The Volvo was slow, but a tank. The Honda Civic was just slow but got incredible fuel mileage. Kids would not be racing around the streets in either. Besides, they weren't cool.

Keep money aside for routine maintenance. Find a good independent shop or a local Toyota shop as needed to keep costs down. Failure to perform this maintenance will get you in the long run as with any vehicle. Get a AAA card for her to have for road emergencies.

The amount of stuff kids bring with them to college today is mind blowing compared to when I went. I see the (yes, just one) neighbor went from a Honda Accord to a Saturn Vue for their kid so they would have more space to transport things. No computers in my day, just slide rules.

I still believe most colleges do not allow freshman and possibly even sophomores to have vehicles on campus. You will want to check on that. Also, do you know where she will be going to college? If it is a very long trip on the other side of the country buying now may not have been cost effective unless you could use the vehicle locally as well. The other downside is with the RX you can put a lot to kids into it. Means that she will be the preferred vehicle to take everyone to the parties, games, trips to the store, etc.
and they allow freshmen to drive on campus.
Old 07-10-11, 06:01 PM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Default She Trained on my 4x4 Toyota Tacoma

Originally Posted by Lexmex
If you can drive an SUV you can drive anything. It might take some getting used to if she hasn't driven an SUV much before (I felt the same way when I got my RX300 back in 2002). However, she will have a great command over the road sitting high up and the navigation can certainly help.
She likes the sitting up high and command of the road. If she can handle a rough riding Taco, the RX will seem very easy.
Old 07-10-11, 06:20 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DixieLex
and they allow freshmen to drive on campus.
Wow, that is different.
Old 07-10-11, 06:28 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

She likes the sitting up high and command of the road. If she can handle a rough riding Taco, the RX will seem very easy.
Tacoma 4x4, now there is a good college vehicle.
Old 07-10-11, 06:48 PM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Default My son wants it

Tacoma 4x4, now there is a good college vehicle.
not happnin'

Not that safe anyway.
Old 07-10-11, 06:51 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Well hey if you can afford it, why not lol. Yay. My dad wanted me to get a crappy car but my mom saved me and let me get a Sti. A RX is nice and safe but a bit big for a new driver.
Old 07-10-11, 07:09 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

not happnin'

Not that safe anyway.
Agreed. Just thinking about all the additional hunting, fishing and trouble I could have gotten into (more than I did) if I had a 4x4 on campus. Too much snow in the PA winters back then kept me stuck on campus... and studying.
Old 07-11-11, 05:40 AM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Default Lol

Agreed. Just thinking about all the additional hunting, fishing and trouble I could have gotten into (more than I did) if I had a 4x4 on campus. Too much snow in the PA winters back then kept me stuck on campus... and studying.
That's a part of the master plan, I need it for huntign and fishing and occasionally getting away from it all.

If you need something rugged and reliable, eschew the SUV and get a Taco TRD
Old 07-11-11, 08:25 AM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RX is an SUV of choice for anyone of all ages. Love the comfy ride and reliability. However, having that big of a vehicle can invite attention and kids cramping in the backseats.
Old 07-11-11, 12:50 PM
phlfly
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm against to give kids a SUV's. Just because it sits high of the road, so CG way far from the ground, one big turn and doing too fast , will flip car over. Also side impact can easy flip car too.
I have M3 also, beside RX330, so RX330 is not just bad on turns/ramp, it's terrible. Michelin tires is starting squeaking on ramp very easy.
Old 07-11-11, 01:36 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Positives and negatives for any choice for a new driver, but the RX is a very safe vehicle as proven in the real world and in testing.

Quick Reply: Just Bought My 17 y/o Daughter Her First Car: 2004 RX w/nav