RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2005 RX330 - I'm on my 3rd battery!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-11, 12:21 PM
RaffieB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 RX330 - I'm on my 3rd battery!

Bought the car new in 2005. In 2008, woke to go to work and the battery was dead. Had AAA come out and pop in a new one. A month ago I was running errands all morning. Got home and started to clean out the car for a car wash with the radio on. Before the 3rd song finished the battery dies on me. So now I am on my 3rd battery in 5 years.

Any thoughts? Or know any good auto electricians in Glendale/Pasadena area in CA?

Thanks
Old 07-09-11, 12:53 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Does the car sit for long periods of time?

Is the battery just going dead or does it end up with a bad cell forcing its replacement? Will it take a jump? Just because a battery goes dead doesn't mean it has to be replaced. There may be reasons why the battery is getting drained that has nothing to do with the battery itself.

Would have your charging system checked. Do you have a local Toyota shop nearby? What about a Sears, AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts? Most probably offer a free systems check.

Would be looking to see if your alternator is charging proper, that your cables are clean and making good contact with the battery, etc.
Old 07-09-11, 01:45 PM
RaffieB
Driver School Candidate

The car is driven everyday. Each time the battery was tested and was told its dead and needs replacing. They were under partial warranty so it couldn't have been AAA trying to sell me another battery. AAA did a diagnostics and said everything looks fine and that its just a dead battery.

I think the next step would be to have a an auto electrician look at it.
Old 07-09-11, 01:52 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RaffieB
Bought the car new in 2005. In 2008, woke to go to work and the battery was dead. Had AAA come out and pop in a new one. A month ago I was running errands all morning. Got home and started to clean out the car for a car wash with the radio on. Before the 3rd song finished the battery dies on me. So now I am on my 3rd battery in 5 years.

Any thoughts? Or know any good auto electricians in Glendale/Pasadena area in CA?

Thanks
Three years out of the OEM battery is not unexpected, however, somewhat short of what others are experiencing. Mine lasted six years down here in the FL heat, though the vehicle is garaged here at the house. Had mine replaced with a Duralast Gold from AutoZone. No issues in the years since.

Search the RX forums here on the battery topic for more information on what others are experiencing.
Old 07-09-11, 04:19 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

We are also on our third battery (2004 RX). The OEM Panasonic was going strong and I replaced it (preventative around the four year mark -- not a smart move). The two NAPAs that have gone in since haven't lasted nearly as long. For the first NAPA, I was detailing the car and had the radio on and the car wouldn't start. I jumped it and put a trickle charger on it and it worked until winter, then it died on a very cold day. Replaced with another NAPA (pro-rated warranty), we will see how long this one lasts.
Old 07-09-11, 06:20 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had two NAPA branded batteries fail within 5 months in my 2002 Toyota Tundra. Going for number three, I noticed they had a new line of Interstate batteries. I insisted that they replace it with the Interstate battery. Which they did at no cost. I haven't had any problems since then. So, it is possible to get bad batteries back to back.
Old 07-09-11, 06:38 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Stick with Duralast batteries, and you'll be good. That's the only thing I would buy from Duralast (autozone brand).
Old 07-09-11, 08:43 PM
RaffieB
Driver School Candidate

I've been researching batteries and apparently many of them, (AAA included) refurbish them which may cause them to fail. Interstate got the thumbs up for manufacturing good solid batteries.

I'm taking the car in on Monday. I'll post what the electrician finds out.
Old 07-10-11, 06:13 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

When I got my pro-rated NAPA, I tried to get an Interstate, but the store I went to didn't have the right size and it was way too cold to mess around. My next battery will be an Interstate.
Old 07-10-11, 06:24 AM
ycl1688
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdnewton
When I got my pro-rated NAPA, I tried to get an Interstate, but the store I went to didn't have the right size and it was way too cold to mess around. My next battery will be an Interstate.
Had my 2006 oem battery died, changed battery to interstate no problem.
Old 07-11-11, 06:18 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Batteries last for at least 3 years guaranteed hence they offer it, 100% replacement. But should last 5 years easy. Must be the car draining it, usually it is loose connection and the batter is not getting the charging current. Or else your alternator is not doing its job. Very simple checks on both.
Old 07-12-11, 12:40 AM
RaffieB
Driver School Candidate

Ok. So I took my car to two different auto electricians and they couldn't find anything wrong. They both said must be cheap quality batteries. I'm going to wait a year or so since this one is just barely 2months old and go with interstate.
Old 07-14-11, 07:02 AM
gusar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine OEM battery (from 2005) died in 2010 (suddenly) and I replaced it with OEM (lexus) again. Just didn't have time to go around. It cost me twice more, but than I read a lot of comments that specifically for Lexus non-OEM batteries die really fast. Don't know why. So I don't mind this extra cost now.
Mine new battery is good so far.
Old 07-14-11, 07:52 PM
lapdrn
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced my battery last month. Got a 2004 RX 330, purchased car April 2003. first time to replace the battery. It was not dead, went for maintenance and they told me it is weak already. Decided to replace it. The service advisor was surprised that my battery is 8 years old and still going.
Old 07-14-11, 07:54 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Originally Posted by lapdrn
I just replaced my battery last month. Got a 2004 RX 330, purchased car April 2003. first time to replace the battery. It was not dead, went for maintenance and they told me it is weak already. Decided to replace it. The service advisor was surprised that my battery is 8 years old and still going.
The OEM Panasonic batteries are outstanding batteries.

Quick Reply: 2005 RX330 - I'm on my 3rd battery!