ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009-164/)
-   -   Would you bring your RX330 to Midas? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009/577252-would-you-bring-your-rx330-to-midas.html)

lex_rx 06-21-11 01:54 AM

Would you bring your RX330 to Midas?

Would you get your struts replaced at places like Midas? What sort of parts would they use?

TIA.

RX330inFL 06-21-11 05:30 AM

For struts, no. In wanting to keep the ride near as original spec as possible, because I like it the way it came off the assembly line, I would want OEM parts to be used. Not likely to get that at Midas. Would need to have some major convincing the parts they would use would be "exact" replacements or better.

I might feel better about using them for other services depending on what was needed.

IMNSHO, Midas is a great shop for American (GM, Ford, Chrysler...) cars.

If you are looking to save money I would just go to a Toyota shop if possible.

Or, is this a convenience issue for you?

lex_rx 06-21-11 05:56 AM

Thanks. I am replacing air suspension with non-air so now I have to choose from DIY, local-only shops (BBB/CAA accredited), or national chain which would give me a national warranty while on those long drives in US and Canada.

Monroe, AC delco, or KYB struts are being mentioned by the local shops as replacement parts.

Of course, Lexus or Toyota will not do this "replacement".

Adamjeeps 06-21-11 06:02 AM

I would use them. I'm sure they use Monroe or KYB struts and can keep the same ride, firm it up, or soften the ride based on their selection. They may even have adjustable struts, or you could buy the parts online and have them install OEM struts. Either way, they are going to be miles cheaper than the Lexus stealership and somewhat cheaper than Toyota, IMHO.

Adamjeeps 06-21-11 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by lex_rx (Post 6479408)
Thanks. I am replacing air suspension with non-air so now I have to choose from DIY, local-only shops (BBB/CAA accredited), or national chain which would give me a national warranty while on those long drives in US and Canada.

Monroe, AC delco, or KYB struts are being mentioned by the local shops as replacement parts.

BTW, Rockauto recommends KYB GR-2 as OEM replacement and they run about $110/each there. If it was me, I'd probably make sure Midas would warranty the install and get these.

lexus114 06-21-11 06:23 AM

Dont like the air suspension? Never mind I just read your other post.

RX330inFL 06-21-11 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by lex_rx (Post 6479408)

This would have been good information and background to include in your original post.