RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

DIY: Toyota Highlander Tow Trailer Hitch Part# PT228-69045

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-11, 06:29 PM
cdduqu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This and other previous threads worked very well to put OEM Toyota highlander trailer hitchs on my two 2009 rx-350"s.
Lexus dealership -part $ 547 each , install $510 additional each.
Local toyota dealership - part $ 275 list each and a 15 % online discount -
delivered next day.

Key points to ease concern-
part is same for lexus and highlander- just different part # - see strings
all wiring included- very important to read copy of string below to get inside access to wiring plug-
easy to intall but best with 2 people lifting . all holes/bolts line up better

String for hardest part of job is below: access to wiring plug:
I give major kudo's the author- sorry dont have thier address

HTML Code:
1. Start at the back of the carpet liner/board from the edge of the back seats. There are 2 small flaps on the ends held by velcro. Peal them up and then start to lift the board, working to the center. There are 5 clips that just pop out with the board once you start pulling up. Once up, you will see 2 black 12mm bolts under the board near the wheel wells. These hold the hinges for the large lid that covers the jack. Undo those and pull out the whole lid/board.

2. At the front of the jack tray are 2 round plastic clips. Use a flat screw driver to gently pry up one side then stick your finger in there and pry the other side. Use you finger to stop that side going back down when prying the other side. You'll know what I mean when you try it. They are just push in/pull out clips. Now lift the entire jack tray out. Don't get your hopes up when you lift the jack tray and see a gromet to the left. It's not the one. The gromet you want is right under the left storage bin. 

3. Next, push the 2 buttons to lift the lids for the front large tray. You should see 2 more black push clips. They are towards the sides. Remove those and the large tray should pull right out. 

4. Only remove the left front tray lid. You will see 2 black 12mm bolts in the front and 2 gold 12mm nuts in the back. Use a deep 12mm or wrench for the back 2 nuts. Remove lid. 

4. Next, pull up the plastic lip that has the 2 buttons for the storage lids and also hides the rear door latch reciever thingy. I think (I cant remember) there are 2 black clips on the sides. Remove those. It is also held by 5 or 6 of the clips like on the rear liner you first removed. Start from one side working to the other. Use many fingers to evenly destribute lifting pressure. As you move along, and clips pop up, you will need to push the big square black buttons that pull in the storage bin lid latches. The latches will get in the way of lifting the plastic piece out. Remove piece.

5. Now the last piece. The left storage bin has a black push clip near where the jack tray corner was . Next, you'll see a black nut at the bottom of the tray. First, remove the pull handle for the manual fuel door release and velcro it back up on the carpet on the side. Then just using your hand, twist and pull the black plastic nut counter-clockwise. Use tools gently on it if you need. I think it's a 12 mm, but don't quote me. It's really just a fancy push nut that you should be able to pull right off. Remove tray.

6. You should be able to see the groment that you need. Push it through if you haven't done it from the bottom yet. Pull the harness up and flex the new gromet like a semi circle to get it inside. Then push it back through part way and fiddle with it to get it seated in the hole. Make sure it is not crimped or pushed through too far. 

7. You should see a white plug coming from the car's harness right above the groment. This is the plug you want. Make sure your plug clicks into place correctly. You don't want to go through this again if the plug pops out, do you???

8. Test the trailer hitch plug if you can. I didn't, but I have faith. If you can you probably should. 

9. When putting everything back together, keep it in the reverse sequence you pulled it out. The plastic nut that lives at the bottom of the left storage bin just pushes on. When reinstalling the back plastic lip piece, try to get it under the black rubber seal before pushing down on it. If any of the seal is caught under it use a flat head screw driver to gently pry it out. If it is caught really well under there, I'd just lift the piece and try it again. 

10. Reverse order is:
Left tray, black plastic nut, 1 black clip, reattach fuel door handle.
Rear plastic lid piece, push down all snaps, 2 black clips
Left lid, 2 black bolts front, 2 gold nuts rear. 
Front large tray, 2 black clips.
Jack tray, 2 black clips.
Jack tray lid, 2 black bolts.
Fold back board/liner and push down on clips and velcro ends.

Your done. Not hard at all. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 10-07-11, 03:38 PM
neebishis
Driver School Candidate

Default Toyota Highlander PT 228-69045 Trailer Hitch

Gentlemen.....in your discussions about the Highlander Trailer Hitch, you state that the dealer supplied hitch includes the wiring harness. You go on to say that its a simple one plug operation. Forgive my ignorance, but am I correct in believing that a simple installation of one plug into the RX's wiring harness is going to give me a flat 4 trailer plug all wired and ready to go?? The reason I ask is that the trailer wiring harness' on line tell me that I need to run a ''HOT'' wire all the way to the front of the vehicle and attach it to the battery.

Thanks much for your help!!

Ken
Old 10-08-11, 05:22 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I like the look of the TYT hitch. Very good for the bike.
Old 10-10-11, 06:06 AM
cdduqu
Driver School Candidate

yes- attached plug in on toyata hitch worked for 4way- no need to run hot wire back to battery.
Old 10-11-11, 09:59 AM
LuxeFilms
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by neebishis
Gentlemen.....in your discussions about the Highlander Trailer Hitch, you state that the dealer supplied hitch includes the wiring harness. You go on to say that its a simple one plug operation. Forgive my ignorance, but am I correct in believing that a simple installation of one plug into the RX's wiring harness is going to give me a flat 4 trailer plug all wired and ready to go?? The reason I ask is that the trailer wiring harness' on line tell me that I need to run a ''HOT'' wire all the way to the front of the vehicle and attach it to the battery.

Thanks much for your help!!

Ken
Yep, it's very simple plug and play wiring. No need to run any wiring back to the battery. I installed my hitch on a friday afternoon and then picked up a 12ft uhual trailer the next day and everything worked perfectly fine. Its pretty simple. The only annoying part is removing the rear floorboard and compartments...not hard, just annoying. Hope this helps!
Old 10-12-11, 09:38 AM
koric
Driver

My rubber Toyota hitch cover disappeared! Either someone jacked it or it fell off.

Anybody know where to get a Lexus hitch cover for cheap? $15 shipped is the best price I found on Ebay. What is the dealer's price? I think someone mentioned $14 somewhere.
Old 10-15-11, 06:09 PM
neebishis
Driver School Candidate

thanks gentlemen for the reply !! Makes me wonder why the aftermarket people do not make use of this same plug.??
Old 04-30-12, 12:49 PM
RamenLover
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know if you need to remove the rear bumper to install the hitch?
Old 04-30-12, 01:24 PM
straasha
Driver School Candidate

No, you don't need to remove the bumper.