RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2006 RX330 aftermarket stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-13, 09:49 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LophatRX
The main thing I want to make sure is to retain factory Steering wheel controls.

Thanks
I use the Beatsonic because I have factory navigation but I taped up the beatsonic steering wheel control and don't use it because it only retained a few functions. I've added the axxess steering wheel control so I have all the functions. Volume, track forward and backward, phone answering and hang up and mode selection to select different sources.

If my head unit supported Siri I'm pretty sure I can program the voice command and use that as well.
Old 11-06-13, 10:43 AM
chuckfinle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys!

I've got a 2006 RX330 with factory nav and ML system

I've purchased the wiring harness from Metra which allows for the unit to work with the factory ML sound system. However, now my factory navigation system and the air conditioner no longer works. On the factory screen, the message 'check air conditioner' is displayed.

Upon reinstalling the old unit though, everything seems to work except of course the 'error 04' on the stereo.

I suspect that I need another wire harness/bypass to get the factory nav and air conditioner to work together with my after market stereo.

I've done quite a bit of searching around on the internet but as I'm unfamiliar with some Lexus terms and parts, I just wanted to make sure.

Would this method work in my situation?
http://us.lexusowner...gs/#entry157699

Or would something called a 'lockpick' from CoastaleTech be better?
http://www.coastalet...CKPICK_MAIN.htm

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 11-06-13, 10:45 AM
chuckfinle
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys!

I've got a 2006 RX330 with factory nav and ML system.

I've purchased the wiring harness from metra which allows for the unit to work with the factory ML sound system. However, now my factory navigation system and the AC no longer works. On the factory screen, the message 'check air conditioner' is displayed.

Upon reinstalling the old unit though, everything seems to work except of course the 'error 04' on the stereo.

I suspect that I need another wire harness/bypass to get the factory nav and air conditioner to work together with my after market stereo.

Would this method work in my situation?
http://us.lexusowner...gs/#entry157699

I've done quite a bit of searching around on the internet but as I'm unfamiliar with some Lexus terms and parts, I just wanted to make sure.

Or would something called a 'lockpick' from CoastaleTech be better?
http://www.coastalet...CKPICK_MAIN.htm

Are there any mods I can do get my AC and factory nav to work? Or is the only way to purchase a harness?

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 11-08-13, 06:38 AM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chuckfinle:

I just went through something very similar in my 2004. See https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-with-nav.html

The short answer is that, with the metra harness, after a Best Buy install, I experienced a very similar issue to yours. Best Buy installer told me that an aftermarket stereo wasn't even possible due to the nav.

Took it to a stereo install place and they were able to do it perfectly with the same harness. Unfortunately, I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, so I can't tell you what they did, only that it's possible and you don't need any additional parts.

Might consider taking it to a reputable installer. I know that's not something a person who's handy generally wants to hear... but it _can_ be done with the equipment that you have.
Old 11-08-13, 11:57 AM
chuckfinle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CJG
chuckfinle:

I just went through something very similar in my 2004. See https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-with-nav.html

The short answer is that, with the metra harness, after a Best Buy install, I experienced a very similar issue to yours. Best Buy installer told me that an aftermarket stereo wasn't even possible due to the nav.

Took it to a stereo install place and they were able to do it perfectly with the same harness. Unfortunately, I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, so I can't tell you what they did, only that it's possible and you don't need any additional parts.

Might consider taking it to a reputable installer. I know that's not something a person who's handy generally wants to hear... but it _can_ be done with the equipment that you have.
Thanks!

I wish there were places that did installs for a Lexus with the ML and factory nav system. Unfortunately, after through a lot of reading and searching, it really does seem like the only way to get things to work is to buy the Beatsonic kit which costs more than the actual stereo. I guess that's why there's not really anybody around that's willing to do it
Old 11-08-13, 12:55 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckfinle
Thanks!

I wish there were places that did installs for a Lexus with the ML and factory nav system. Unfortunately, after through a lot of reading and searching, it really does seem like the only way to get things to work is to buy the Beatsonic kit which costs more than the actual stereo. I guess that's why there's not really anybody around that's willing to do it
Being that you are in TX, I would suggest you find you nearest Car Toys shop and talk to them. That is who Carver used. If anyone could do it or know how get it done it would be these guys.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...a-dnx6960.html
Old 11-11-13, 11:00 PM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LophatRX
What is the difference between the , Beat-Sonic SLA-82A and the Beat-Sonic SLA-82R? I have an 04 RX330 that I want to put a Pioneer AVH p1400dvd, out of my other car. The main thing I want to make sure is to retain factory Steering wheel controls.

Thanks
Thank you for your inquiry. I apologize for the late response as I was at SEMA the whole last week.

The difference between the SLA-82A and SLA-82R is that the SLA-82A is for RX models with OEM amplifier. All Lexus in the USA is equipped with an OEM amplifier. SLA-82R is for models without an OEM amplifier which include the lower end Toyota Harriers and other import models outside of USA.

In order to retain your steering wheel controls, you will need to get the part from AXXESS - Toyota/Lexus Steering wheel control adapter.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/
Old 02-18-14, 07:10 PM
rtbrjason
Driver School Candidate

I've recently picked up an 04 RX330. It does have Nav and reverse cam. Does that mean it also has the ML stereo or was that a separate option?
Old 02-18-14, 07:14 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rtbrjason
I've recently picked up an 04 RX330. It does have Nav and reverse cam. Does that mean it also has the ML stereo or was that a separate option?
That was a separate option. The system is clearly marked as ML if you have it along with having an additional speaker located on the dash just above the NAV.
Old 02-18-14, 07:21 PM
rtbrjason
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I didn't see any markings, but upon google searching and ebay replacement searching I didn't notice anything different about the ML system from what mine looks like. I definitely don't have the extra speaker above the nav unit though.
Old 05-10-16, 05:18 PM
Ismaili
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by beatsonic
yes, these are our most popular kits and i can direct you to customers and stereo shops who have installed our adapter kits in models with mark levinson. I am pretty sure some of them are club lexus members.

Depending on the car year of your rx, if you install the correct adapter the air conditioning and the navigation on factory display will be functional.

For 2004-2006 models with navigation and mark levinson or lexus premium sound, you will need the mva-82r+sla-82aad. For 2007-2009 models, you will need the rx-82.

Also, for all 2004-2009 models with mark levinson or with lexus premium without factory navigation, sla-82a is the correct kit.

Let me also add that you may install new headunits other than pioneer brands. They include clarion, kenwood, alpine, jvc, audiostream + more. As long as the new headunit has speaker level outputs using speaker wires then it will be compatible, which should cover 99% of all the headunits out there.

You can reach mr. Moto on club lexus. He goes by the name: Motohide

please ask if you have any additional questions.
i just ordered beat sonic rx 82 for my rx 400h ml+navi 2006 and a double din pioneer avh x3700bhs head unit.

My question is will beat sonic rx 82 harness be plug and play with new pioneer head unit's harness or will i need to splice/cut solter some wires?

Will harness that comes will new pioneer head units plug straight to beat sonic kit or wire cutting is required?

Many thanks
Old 06-15-17, 08:22 AM
ReynoldG
Driver School Candidate

So I want to bypass mark levinson amplifier stereo output, just the speakers, into another amp and out to the same oem existing speakers but leaving the ML amp installed so the nav and phone Bluetooth and steering controls still functions, can this be done ? Has this been done ? And how. Is there an easier way to determine the speaker wires, is there a simple bypass plug n play connector ? I'd rather not cut into the wires
Old 02-29-20, 08:11 AM
Rimzah71
Driver School Candidate

hello,

I have a 2006 Lexus RX330 with Navi without ML. I wanted to find out what would be the best aftermarket Stereo system with the kit. I want to retain the factory stereo controls and blue tooth. I would appreciate all your help.
Thanks again for your help I am new to all this and have no idea how to go about looking for information.
Old 02-29-20, 08:26 AM
Rimzah71
Driver School Candidate

Hi I own the 2006 Lexus RX330. I dont have the Mark Levinson but I do have the Navigation system with the factory Blue tooth and stering Control. I am looking at purchasing the Car kit and the after market music system which will allow me to retain the stering controls and blue tooth. I am new to this forum. Can you please advice me on what I should purhase for both the kit and stereo. Thank you again for your response.