RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2006 RX330 aftermarket stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 10:09 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice work! The Sony is the first I've seen that uses a smart phone for base functions and that is a big deal. When they cut the cord and use blue tooth I'm in!
Old 01-14-13, 05:15 PM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1koolfella
Looking good.
Like Carver, I like the usb setup. Is that the PAC 6' USB Cable with Mounting Bracket? I seen it on Amazon but not if it's the same one you purchased on Ebay. Looks very clean and almost like a factory setup. The Metra face plate looks like a good match with the factory system.

Also how did you make out with the steering wheel access control? Did you get all of your buttons to work?
Yes, it is the PAC.
Old 01-14-13, 05:18 PM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Originally Posted by Carver
Very nice work! The Sony is the first I've seen that uses a smart phone for base functions and that is a big deal. When they cut the cord and use blue tooth I'm in!
I don't think Bluetooth has the throughput to support video etc. But this Sony unit does allow bluetooth streaming and control. The more I use it the more I appreciate it.
Old 01-14-13, 05:23 PM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Looking good.
Like Carver, I like the usb setup. Is that the PAC 6' USB Cable with Mounting Bracket? I seen it on Amazon but not if it's the same one you purchased on Ebay. Looks very clean and almost like a factory setup. The Metra face plate looks like a good match with the factory system.

Also how did you make out with the steering wheel access control? Did you get all of your buttons to work?
Oh and yes, the steering wheel buttons all work. Volume, track skip (works to skip ahead on usb music forward and backward as well as CD, Bluetooth streaming, radio channels etc). Mode cycles through all the sources. Perfect! Now I just need to take the roof console apart and put the Bluetooth mic in the corner like you did Then it will be complete...
Old 01-14-13, 07:14 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL

Am curious to hear more about that USB cable you purchased for the 12V socket. Had not seen that previous.
Hey Rx330inFL, not sure if you were able to find it or not but here it is.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...SBCBL+6%27+USB

I was thinking about drilling an extra hole in the front and adding this usb cable, but behind it there is a bracket which I would also have to cut. Not sure if it's worth doing.

Last edited by 1koolfella; 01-14-13 at 07:33 PM. Reason: added additional details.
Old 01-14-13, 07:31 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GadgetmanN
Oh and yes, the steering wheel buttons all work. Volume, track skip (works to skip ahead on usb music forward and backward as well as CD, Bluetooth streaming, radio channels etc). Mode cycles through all the sources. Perfect! Now I just need to take the roof console apart and put the Bluetooth mic in the corner like you did Then it will be complete...
Glad to read that you got your steering wheel functions to work. I had trouble with my ASWC unit when trying to upgrade the firmware from 3.07 to 3.09 (you won't know which version you have unless it's hooked up to a Windows PC, sorry no Mac or Linux versons) so after dealing with Metra support they suggested I send it back to the vendor. I explained what happened and they replaced it for free (no restocking fee just shipping and handling). Just took a long time for them to ship it back to me.

So now I'm glad to have my steering wheel controls back. I initially let it self program and made sure it worked then I manually programed it. Seems like the forward and back buttons can only do either preset or seek, not both. So while in the radio mode, with automatic programing it defaults to seek. Goes tick by tick up the station dial, not jumping to the preset stations. So I manually programed it for presets, which is fine in radio mode because it jumps to each of my presets, but in usb mode, it jumps from folder to folder. I have to see what it does with Pandora or Bluetooth streaming.

Oh and one last suggestion, don't strip the plastic off the mic like I did, it will make it too sensitive.
Old 01-15-13, 01:41 AM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Oh and one last suggestion, don't strip the plastic off the mic like I did, it will make it too sensitive.
Thanks for the tip. I planned to do it this week or weekend. As far as the steering wheel buttons, not sure what it does on radio. I know it skips, but not sure if it is seek or scan or preset. I only have 1 radio station around here so it does not matter to me right now.
Old 01-26-13, 10:42 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Hey GadgetmanN I borrowed your idea about the usb cable and drilled a hole in order to be able to use it for my stereo.
Attached Thumbnails 2006 RX330 aftermarket stereo question-pre_2013-01-26-011001.jpg  
Old 01-26-13, 02:00 PM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Hey GadgetmanN I borrowed your idea about the usb cable and drilled a hole in order to be able to use it for my stereo.
Nice! I was too chicken to drill the hole, but looks like you did a very good job. I really like having all my CD's ripped to a thumb drive and not having to swap out CDs. So when you drilled the hole, was the panel plastic or real wood?
Old 01-26-13, 04:04 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

It appears to be plastic with something mixed in it. Can't tell you what. I did a write up of how I did it in the other thread. Rx330 gets a DNX6960.
Old 01-31-13, 01:42 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

This is a better daytime shot. To me it's cleaner than having the wires hanging on the side. So one is in the front and the other is in the glove dept.
Attached Thumbnails 2006 RX330 aftermarket stereo question-pre_2013-01-31-153804.jpg   2006 RX330 aftermarket stereo question-pre_2013-01-31-153835.jpg  
Old 03-14-13, 10:16 AM
ER77
Driver School Candidate

Hey Koolfella, I pretty much have the same setup as you and had posted a question on another thread, Here it is...
Is there anyway to tap into the existing bluetooth mic instead of having to run the pioneer mic?

I remember seeing a thread on someone running a mic up to where the existing one is, but i kinda don't want to get too crazy pulling out panels, I'd hate to kit an airbag sensor.

Any suggestions would be appriciated.
Old 03-19-13, 09:24 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Hey ER77

In my case, I used the pioneer mic but didn't pull out any paneling. I just used a small screw driver and squeezed the mic cable in between the panel. When I got to the top I took out the map light.

I posted pictures in this thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...dnx6960-4.html thread #56. Four screws and easy to drop. You can trace the existing mic to it's source and try to tap the wire but for me it was too much work. After market works fine for me.
Old 06-10-13, 08:10 AM
MDRX330
Rookie

Originally Posted by Napeun
For all 2004-2009 RX models without navigation. Regardless of if it has Mark Levinson or Lexus Premium Sound system.
-Correct kit is the SLA-82A: http://www.beatsonicusa.com/beat-sonic-sla-82a.html
- You will lose the factory steering wheel controls. Get the steering wheel interface from Axxess: ASWC Model: http://retailer.installationexcellen...0-CE05DC4202D6
Hopefully that helped.
This is awesome! Just to confirm, besides the headunit, the 2 items above are all I need to install the headunit and keep the controls on my steering wheel?

I have the standard audio system in my 2006 RX330. No ML or navigation.

I have GOT to have this.

Last edited by MDRX330; 06-10-13 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-02-13, 01:08 PM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BeatSonic
Actually, all our RX adapter kits comes with the harness that retains the DISPLAY button function on the steering wheel. It is the connector with the ground at the other end.

You can check it out on our website.
What is the difference between the , Beat-Sonic SLA-82A and the Beat-Sonic SLA-82R? I have an 04 RX330 that I want to put a Pioneer AVH p1400dvd, out of my other car. The main thing I want to make sure is to retain factory Steering wheel controls.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 2006 RX330 aftermarket stereo question