RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2006 RX330 aftermarket stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 10:19 AM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spiral Installations kit in RX330?

Has anyone used this kit or know of anyone that has?

http://www.spiralinstallations.com/c...tion_Kit_Combo
Old 01-01-13, 04:03 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey GadgetmanN

Although it says Spiral audio as the brand, that looks just like the Metra Kit. I've only found out about it after purchasing the beatsonic kit. On the Beatsonic, you can fade left and right but lose the front to rear fading. On the Metra Kit it claims you retain all fades. The Metra kit you don't have the black edges at the side, kinda loosing the 16:9 movie theater effect.

Old 01-01-13, 05:18 PM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1koolfella
Hey GadgetmanN

Although it says Spiral audio as the brand, that looks just like the Metra Kit. I've only found out about it after purchasing the beatsonic kit. On the Beatsonic, you can fade left and right but lose the front to rear fading. On the Metra Kit it claims you retain all fades. The Metra kit you don't have the black edges at the side, kinda loosing the 16:9 movie theater effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IESZdK8Wzs
Thanks for the feedback. So in some ways it appears better than the Beatsonic kit, and is a WHOLE lot cheaper! Once I do my install, I'll post info for others that might be interested.
Old 01-01-13, 05:28 PM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Originally Posted by GadgetmanN
Thanks for the feedback. So in some ways it appears better than the Beatsonic kit, and is a WHOLE lot cheaper! Once I do my install, I'll post info for others that might be interested.
Just in case anyone is interested, this is the setup I will be installing:

METRA AXXESS ASWC UNIVERSAL STEERING WHEEL CONTROL INTERFACE (on order)
SONY XAV-701HD (on order)
What I think is the Metra 99-8159S (face dash adapter plate and harness) (on order)
Generic back up camera (TBD, feedback appreciated on what one i should get)
Old 01-06-13, 02:57 AM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Hey GadgetmanN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IESZdK8Wzs
Turns out it is the Metra kit (nice to get the interface and face plate for under $100!). And the paperwork says you do keep the fade function. Tomorrow the stereo is scheduled to arrive (everything else is now here), so I should have some feedback on the Metra kit within the next few days. I can't wait!
Old 01-08-13, 10:54 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Hey GadgetmanN,

Although this video is for a Toyota Tacoma, it's pretty much the same thing for the Rx.

This helped me out a great deal.
and the part that he mentions at 2:06 you can get that part from Metra as well (METRA 70-8114 TOYOTA ADD STEERING WHEEL CONTRL HARNESS - 8 buck on ebay) so you don't have to cut splice any additional wires. Straight plug and play. I ground the black wire and connected the same red wire to the same power the radio was using. The only additional step I had to do while the device programs itself is hit the phone pick up button on the steering wheel, after the rapid flashing so that it would recognize both buttons so I can answer and receive calls using the steering wheel buttons.
Old 01-08-13, 11:04 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

The only issue I have is the answer button on the steering wheel does not access the phone book, which the factory unit did. The answer button only picks up a phone call when coming in and the hang up button will disconnect the call. I'm not sure if its because of Axxess or the aftermarket stereo.

So what I went ahead and did was purchase their cable to upgrade the firmware and the unit died on me. I was working with Metra support via email and wind up having to return the defective unit to where I purchase it from, they had to rma it with Metra. Now I'm still waiting for a replacement unit from the where I purchased it from. Soon as it comes all I will have to do is put back in the new box and I'm good. I can't wait.

Overall I think the Metra steering wheel control is pretty good. Take plenty of pics and your overal thoughts of the stereo interface.
Old 01-08-13, 05:31 PM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Hey GadgetmanN,

Although this video is for a Toyota Tacoma, it's pretty much the same thing for the Rx.

This helped me out a great deal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sas1jTJ-gw and the part that he mentions at 2:06 you can get that part from Metra as well (METRA 70-8114 TOYOTA ADD STEERING WHEEL CONTRL HARNESS - 8 buck on ebay) so you don't have to cut splice any additional wires. Straight plug and play. I ground the black wire and connected the same red wire to the same power the radio was using. The only additional step I had to do while the device programs itself is hit the phone pick up button on the steering wheel, after the rapid flashing so that it would recognize both buttons so I can answer and receive calls using the steering wheel buttons.
Thanks 1koolfella! I plan to attempt the steering control this weekend. I just got done with the stereo install a few minutes ago! What an amazing system. HD radio, DVD, CD, iPhone cable for full music, Pandora and video control on the head unit, bluetooth and amazing sound with the Metra harness/face-plate kit! Full fade control too. The backup cam should be here this week along with a round USB port I will put in place of the 12v cigarette lighter plug for direct android phone connection and mirrorlink. The iPhone cable will be in the console out of sight. Shoulod be quite a nice system.
Old 01-09-13, 09:26 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Congrats on your radio conversion. You remind me of the old Toyota commercial when they would jump up in the air and freeze frame it and say oh what a feeling. lol. Now you're not only your driving a high end luxury vehicle you have the entertainment system to match it. That mirror link technology sounds cool. The best part is that you can have your passenger operate the navigation while the vehicle is in motion. Congrats again and happy to read that it was a smooth install and everything working well.

We're anxiously awaiting photos.
Old 01-09-13, 02:31 PM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Congrats on your radio conversion. You remind me of the old Toyota commercial when they would jump up in the air and freeze frame it and say oh what a feeling. lol. Now you're not only your driving a high end luxury vehicle you have the entertainment system to match it. That mirror link technology sounds cool. The best part is that you can have your passenger operate the navigation while the vehicle is in motion. Congrats again and happy to read that it was a smooth install and everything working well.

You are pretty much right. I think I have jumped a few times It is a nice ride. As far as Mirror link, it is not working yet (my android phone needs a software update to enable I think). But the iPhone cable and Telnav works pretty well. No need for the passenger to operate the NAV. It can all be done from the stereo screen. I think the iPhone cable will go into the glove box instead of the console (easier). Photos should come hopefully after this weekend. I wanna get the USB port installed and hide the cables first. The people at work are pretty much blown away by the new stereo and it really fits the RX well. Looks slick.
Old 01-10-13, 03:41 PM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Ok, here is the initial photos. I'll take more in daylight so it is easier to see, but basically I bought a USB "plug" to replace the 12v socket so I have a direct USB plug to the head-unit for hooking up MirrorLink or just charging a phone, or using a thumb drive loaded with MP3 or videos. I will get one of those almost flush thumb drives to put my music on so it does not stick out, but for now a regular ones works great. The iPhone cable is in the glove box, so I just plug in the iPhone and all the music and videos on it are controlled through the head unit. Plus Telnav on the iPhone provides large screen turn by turn GPS on the headunit. This thing is quite amazing!
Attached Thumbnails 2006 RX330 aftermarket stereo question-stereo.jpg   2006 RX330 aftermarket stereo question-usb.jpg   2006 RX330 aftermarket stereo question-usb2.jpg  
Old 01-12-13, 01:16 PM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Default New pictures

Ok, new pictures of the install. The backup cam came today so that will go in tomorrow. I also got a 16GB micro thumb for music/movies and it works great in the USB port I installed in the 12vt outlet hole.
Attached Thumbnails 2006 RX330 aftermarket stereo question-new-stereo.jpg   2006 RX330 aftermarket stereo question-new-stereo2.jpg   2006 RX330 aftermarket stereo question-new-usb.jpg  
Old 01-12-13, 01:45 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice writeup and nice view of the NH snowy landscape.

Am curious to hear more about that USB cable you purchased for the 12V socket. Had not seen that previous.
Old 01-12-13, 02:46 PM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Nice writeup and nice view of the NH snowy landscape.

Am curious to hear more about that USB cable you purchased for the 12V socket. Had not seen that previous.
Great! I like to do original things The USB port is pictured above. I got it off eBay and it is basically a USB extension cord with a round end that is made to press into a 3/4" hole or the included mounting bracket. Basically used for car stereo installation I believe. I took the OEM 12v socket out (if you press a small tab inside the steel sleeve, the sleeve slides out) and placed the round USB end in the hole. I had to wrap some electrical tape around it to make a tight fit. The other end just plugs into one of the stereo USB ports. So now it can be used to charge a phone with a USB cable, or a direct input to the stereo for MirrorLink or USB thumb drive. I also installed the Metra interface for the steering wheel buttons, and ran the video cable to the back for the backup camera ( just need to hook up the camera and plug it into the video cable) which will be installed tomorrow. Almost done...
Old 01-14-13, 09:11 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Looking good.
Like Carver, I like the usb setup. Is that the PAC 6' USB Cable with Mounting Bracket? I seen it on Amazon but not if it's the same one you purchased on Ebay. Looks very clean and almost like a factory setup. The Metra face plate looks like a good match with the factory system.

Also how did you make out with the steering wheel access control? Did you get all of your buttons to work?

Last edited by 1koolfella; 01-14-13 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply: 2006 RX330 aftermarket stereo question