RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

So frustrated with my Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-11, 11:52 AM
momtogrif
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So frustrated with my Lexus

I have a 2007 Lexus RX 350. I bought it CPO and have had it for 16 months now. I love the car but I'm so tired of bringing it to the dealership to get fixed. They have tried 3 times now to fix the white dust problem but it never gets better(it's in for the third time right now as I type this). I had it to the dealer 3 times for them to fix my ignition problem. On the third try they finally had to put all new locks on and replaced the ignition core and lock.

I also had to have the recall work done on it. Almost every time I bring it to the dealer, they break something and then I have to bring it back in to get them to fix it. They have broken my driver side air vent, put a hole in my glove box, and had to replace a headlight housing.

I just feel like it's been one thing after the next! I love my car and I'm grateful that the dealership gives me a loaner and that they do make things right in the end. I'm just tired of having to keep going back, time and time again!

I have been thinking about going with a BMW, Audi, Acura, or even a VW Passat Wagon but I still feel drawn to the comfort of my Lexus! UGH!
Old 04-08-11, 12:01 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Its like throwing the baby with the bath-water.

How about changing the dealership? If that is not possible go over the history of your repair experience with the service manager. Do point out the good things but ask for a different crew to work on your vehicle.

Salim
Old 04-08-11, 12:15 PM
momtogrif
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Its like throwing the baby with the bath-water.

How about changing the dealership? If that is not possible go over the history of your repair experience with the service manager. Do point out the good things but ask for a different crew to work on your vehicle.

Salim
I've done this! I think that's why they just brought me a Lexus replacement vehicle for a rental and let me give up the Toyota Corolla I was given. I think they know how I feel about them these days and I feel that their service is very good but I just feel like it's been one problem after the next with my car! My husband has a 2005 ES330 and we've had no problems with it at all except some dash board crackling noises. I still love riding in his car and find it to be way more comfortable than my SUV but I don't expect a car ride from the RX anyway.
Old 04-08-11, 12:24 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about these issues. I, too, have similar experiences. In my cases, screws were missing, engine cover not secure, while these things are minor compare to your case, sometimes going to another brand may be the only option. I've found Lexus to be overrated. While I certainly enjoyed my RX and current GX, the level of service I've seen is no better than Honda or Acura. While some folks may say, "try another Lexus dealership", that's probably not feasible for many people. Lexus dealerships are not on every corner like Ford dealerships.

Good luck in the future with whatever car manufacturer you go with.
Old 04-08-11, 12:27 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds discouraging. I hate hearing about this stuff.
Old 04-08-11, 12:37 PM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

'Independent repair shop' is an alternate way if your car is out of manufacture warranty. In my area, there is an independent repair shop which specialize at Lexus and Infinite. Although they don't loan you a Lexus, they are very professional, kind and honest. Search mechnics at 'car talk' web site in your area, I am sure that you can find one.
Old 04-08-11, 12:39 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I do check the vehicle every time I get it serviced. You are right, the chances are they would have left something out, or even break something.

I have complained to the dealer on many occasions. They try to be nice and apologetic but it is hard not to feel edgy whenever the car is going into the dealership.

And that feeling is absolutely wrong. I feel your pain.
Old 04-08-11, 12:40 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess I should count myself lucky to have the mighty Sewell just down the road, these situations simply don't exist there.
Old 04-08-11, 12:41 PM
mandyfig

There should be a check out procedure when they go through what they have done and show you. That should solve the problem of...coming back to do a re-work. Re-work is a non-value add process.
Old 04-08-11, 12:42 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by Carver
I guess I should count myself lucky to have the mighty Sewell just down the road, these situations simply don't exist there.
Sewell's internet sales (price wise and service) have been awesome for me. I can imagine the dealership itself.
Old 04-08-11, 01:16 PM
momtogrif
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dcdyd
'Independent repair shop' is an alternate way if your car is out of manufacture warranty. In my area, there is an independent repair shop which specialize at Lexus and Infinite. Although they don't loan you a Lexus, they are very professional, kind and honest. Search mechnics at 'car talk' web site in your area, I am sure that you can find one.
The car is still under the CPO warranty and I do have an outside mechanic who does the 60K tune up and basic service for me. My dealership is 45 mins away so I get tired of driving down just for an oil change.
Old 04-08-11, 01:31 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by momtogrif
I've done this! I think that's why they just brought me a Lexus replacement vehicle for a rental and let me give up the Toyota Corolla I was given. I think they know how I feel about them these days and I feel that their service is very good but I just feel like it's been one problem after the next with my car! My husband has a 2005 ES330 and we've had no problems with it at all except some dash board crackling noises. I still love riding in his car and find it to be way more comfortable than my SUV but I don't expect a car ride from the RX anyway.
momtogrif:

What you got for complaining was simple appeasement. The problem was not addressed. If I go back to your original post, it seems the crew at the shop was reckless. As a DIYer I have made some silly mistakes, but these guys are paid professionals and on top of it they should not return the vehicle without fixing their goofs.

Yes there are lemons and Lexus has some too (hopefully less). But you need to relook at your experience and separate the vehicle problems from repair/service induced problems. It seems with all the things, including the pleasure in driving ... full ownership experience is inching lower by the day for you.

From business point of view, the service manager is trying to keep the damage cost down. Some managers may not be too sympathetic to the customers (I hope they are few) and some may even lack the tact; but they would still try to keep the damage cost to a minimum.

Salim
Old 04-08-11, 02:56 PM
RhoXS
Rookie

Unfortunately we have had similar experiences with dealerships but it does not matter much if its a BMW dealer or a Lexus dealer (we have one of each), they are all just as bad. I honestly dread leaving a vehicle with a dealer for service and only do so when I have no choice (e.g. warranty repairs).

I will say that generally Lexus dealerships provide a much more refined veneer than BMW in terms of respect for the customer but the service at both suck.

No matter where I have lived I have always been able to find a local shop that is reputable and does good work. With the local shop I currently use I have a very high level of trust and it is also possible to have an intelligent conversation with the actual mechanic, something impossible at most dealers.

If, anyone in the area of Stuart, Florida needs a good shop, I can, without hesitation recommend one.
Old 04-08-11, 04:56 PM
dkidwell
Rookie

Originally Posted by Carver

I agree. I have never had a problem with Sewell. I am on my second Lexus and have the third on order. All from Sewell.
Old 04-08-11, 05:17 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by momtogrif
The car is still under the CPO warranty and I do have an outside mechanic who does the 60K tune up and basic service for me. My dealership is 45 mins away so I get tired of driving down just for an oil change.
It could be worse my closest dealership is 100 miles away. I used them for warranty work only and they were excellent.

I have read in the past, several statements of poor work done at Arizona Lexus dealerships. You should really push hard at Lexus Corporate to fix this problem. There is no excuse for this and corporate has the influence to make a good result happen. You may want to consult a lawyer, since this is a CPO vehicle. You should have rights (buy back, lemon laws). I don't know for sure, I am not a lawyer, but you may mention the "L" word to Lexus Corporate. That may just get them off their duff and do something.