ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009-164/)
-   -   07 RX350 Transmission Shudder (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009/563429-07-rx350-transmission-shudder.html)

kymatt 04-06-11 11:23 AM

07 RX350 Transmission Shudder

Hi folks!
I've been lurking for a while and have learned a lot from everyone's comments.
My wife drives a 2007 RX350 and over the past few months I've noticed a strange sensation when the vehicle shifts into overdrive. There is a pronounced shudder that seems to occur when the torque converter goes into lockup. This is more pronounced under loads / going up hill. It mainly occurs when I'm apply constant acceleration to the vehicle.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? The vehicle only has about 30k on it and has been driven only by my wife and mother before her, neither of whom drove it aggressively.

I have searched extensively and didn't come up with anything.

Thanks for the advice, and look forward to hanging out more.

salimshah 04-06-11 01:52 PM

I would suggest getting the transmission mounts and fluid condition examined.

Once those are out of the way, do keep in mind that there is a lack of power in overdrive. As the vehicle struggles to climb and the gas pedal by driver wants to give more gas the controlling ecu would like to shift out of overdrive. Depending on the incline and the gas pedal position and the speed of the vehicle the ecu keeps switching the overdrive on and off .. term referred to as "hunting" for the right gear. If you decisively press on the gas the ecu will turn off the overdrive.

The shudder should not be there but hunting is a possibility. So have the vehicle looked into. If you are under warranty, ask the service adviser to ride with you as you reproduce the problem.

Salim

kymatt 04-06-11 02:09 PM

Thanks Salim.
It's definitely not hunting. Once the torque converter locks it's fine, it's just the 1/2 second transition period that's shakey.
I think I've still got powertrain warranty left and I'll be taking it to the dealer soon for a ride with the service advisor.

mandyfig 04-06-11 03:24 PM

Yes bring it in for warranty check. 07's did not have the tranny issues unlike the early 330's. Not really issues but the hesitation thing. Which could be solved with re-flashing the ECU, which was covered by a TSB.

tldt2003 07-02-12 02:09 PM

Hello,

I'm having the same issue with our 2008 RX. Was there any resolution to this problem?

Thanks!

storms71 01-16-13 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by kymatt (Post 6288067)
My wife drives a 2007 RX350 and over the past few months I've noticed a strange sensation when the vehicle shifts into overdrive. There is a pronounced shudder that seems to occur when the torque converter goes into lockup. This is more pronounced under loads / going up hill. It mainly occurs when I'm apply constant acceleration to the vehicle.

Likewise, I am experiencing this same shudder issue under the same conditions as discribed above in my '08 GS 350. Has anyone found a solution? Is there a TSB that solves this problem?

Amskeptic 02-23-13 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by storms71 (Post 7706547)
Likewise, I am experiencing this same shudder issue under the same conditions as discribed above in my '08 GS 350. Has anyone found a solution? Is there a TSB that solves this problem?

Lack of sufficient hydraulic volume/pressure to the piston that clamps the clutch pack. Or a damaged clutch pack. It is a "deep" repair

wendolek 03-06-13 02:23 PM

2007 RX350 60K miles and transmission went out

I had some of the similar issues at 60K miles. I took the car in to the dealership right before my warranty ended Dec 21, 2012 had the car in for a final inspection. Everything came back clean, no issues. Now at the end of Feb 2013 my transmission has totally failed. How can that be?? Lexus is only standing behide some of the costs. I am very disappointed how a car of this calliber can have a transmission go out and the manufacturer ask me to pay anything.

kickin8 03-06-13 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by wendolek (Post 7805762)
I had some of the similar issues at 60K miles. I took the car in to the dealership right before my warranty ended Dec 21, 2012 had the car in for a final inspection. Everything came back clean, no issues. Now at the end of Feb 2013 my transmission has totally failed. How can that be?? Lexus is only standing behide some of the costs. I am very disappointed how a car of this calliber can have a transmission go out and the manufacturer ask me to pay anything.

you might be still under the powertrain warranty:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...ce/warranty.do

Powertrain Warranty The Powertrain Warranty is for 72 months or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Except for the situations listed on the Basic Warranty page, this warranty covers repairs needed to fix defects in materials or workmanship of any component listed below:
•Engine: Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing belt and cover, flywheel, oil pan, water pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets
•Transmission and Transaxle: Case and all internal parts, torque converter, clutch cover, mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets
•Front-Wheel-Drive System: Driveshaft, axle, hub, bearings, seals and gaskets

See your Lexus dealer for complete details on the Lexus Powertrain Warranty.

wendolek 03-11-13 11:30 AM

Thank you for your post however they call them year 2007 models and sold in mid 2006 so Lexus got lucky on the short term warranty running out and they do not have to pay. Again, I am glad they picked up some of the bill but for the good of the Lexus brand name, a transmission going out at 60K miles, they should stand behind it. This vehicle has not towed anything and only my wife drives it. This is clearly a bad product and they would either not admit it in Dec or the dealer was not checking the right things. Either way I lose.

tldt2003 03-12-13 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Amskeptic (Post 7783589)
Lack of sufficient hydraulic volume/pressure to the piston that clamps the clutch pack. Or a damaged clutch pack. It is a "deep" repair

Is there a TSB number for this? Im taking our RX to the dealer on Friday and I wanted to be ready with something. They told me over the phone that "they've never had any transmission issues with the RX 350."

stanleybg 04-08-19 02:06 AM

Someone knows what causes this ? I changed fluid to Amsoil and still shudders. After that put lubeguard protectant and no changes. Added 4 tubes of lubeguard instant shudder fix and this works , but after 4-5 days of driving again shudders. Is it torque converter or transmission itself. On sport driving no problems at all. When slowly driving city with 30mph it get low rpm and when tryes to lock torque converter it shudders. Did someone here drive with Amsoil ATF. Is it possible that this ATF is not good for this transmission. My first generation rx300 drivers perfect with Amsoil ATF.

tomr51 04-10-19 01:46 PM

i had this problem also. check the transmission fluid level (engine at operating temp and running. select D and R a couple of times then put in park) check the fluid level, mine was only down a small amount, (1/2 cup), but bringing it to the correct level fixed the problem.

stanleybg 04-10-19 01:50 PM

Is this really fixed your problem ? For how long you tested it after you put more fluid ? I am checking the fluid level at 80 degreees celsius and the fluid to be in the middle of hot mark.

tomr51 04-10-19 02:45 PM

fluid needs to be at the full mark with engine running and in Park. I have not had the shudder for 3 mths