RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 need after-market wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11, 10:27 AM
gusar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doverrx330
I read the whole thread and noone asked, but I must. Why are you replacing wheel bearings? Did the dealer or mechanic diagnose and say they needed to be replaced, did you hear grinding noises, etc.? Just asking because I want to know if it's something I should be looking for.
usually you know about failed bearing because it starts whining/humming at a specific speed. After some time the speed range where you hear it becomes wider. And it progresses. As I was told it shouldn't cause sudden failure, just do replacement.
Old 09-28-11, 01:52 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by doverrx330
I read the whole thread and noone asked, but I must. Why are you replacing wheel bearings? Did the dealer or mechanic diagnose and say they needed to be replaced, did you hear grinding noises, etc.? Just asking because I want to know if it's something I should be looking for.
I started to hear more 'road noise' as I was driving this past winter. I had it looked at and was told I needed wheel bearing immediately or the wheel would fall off. I no longer go to that garage because they also told me I needed a resonator and new shocks and struts.... and I had spent many $$$ there on my RX300, and it seemed like they were trying to hit me again with my relatively youthful 330. I particularly became suspicious (discussed in an earlier thread) when after a recent oil change I had no oil in my car and they would not take responsibilibity if I had resulting engine damange -- and hid the filter in their backroom, never showing me the part, which they claimed had a 'rare hairline crack'. A formerly excellent garage gone downhill...

At any rate, I started taking the car around for 2nd 3rd and even 4th opinions. Learned from 2 muffler shops that there was nothing wrong with my resonator. Learned from 3 shops that my struts and shocks are fine. The conclusion from all was that I needed a right rear wheel bearing - one mechanic spun it for me so that I could hear the noise .. and he was also honest enough to tell me that I could wait another 10k miles to replace it!

I know this is more than you wanted to know but just thought I would mention because, not knowing how to repair my car, I have learned to get 2nd opinions on major work and would recommend the same to you.. e.g., if you are told you have to replace wheel bearings because of some noise.. get it checked.. and checked!
Old 09-28-11, 01:54 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gusar
usually you know about failed bearing because it starts whining/humming at a specific speed. After some time the speed range where you hear it becomes wider. And it progresses. As I was told it shouldn't cause sudden failure, just do replacement.
Exactly as I have experienced it. First noticed I no longer had that quiet Lexus ride ... !
Old 09-28-11, 01:57 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Just ordered Timken rear wheel bearing hub assembly for $191 at Autozone. Seems like a fair price. Duralast $40-50 less but store did not recommend it 'if I planned to keep the car longer than a year!'
Old 09-28-11, 02:39 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by quantfutur
Just ordered Timken rear wheel bearing hub assembly for $191 at Autozone. Seems like a fair price. Duralast $40-50 less but store did not recommend it 'if I planned to keep the car longer than a year!'
Thought that might be how you would roll. Three year warranty. Some peace of mind.

Also, glad to hear you found a more reputable shop. Can just imagine the number of other customers your previous shop ripped off on bogus repairs.
Old 09-28-11, 09:14 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Thought that might be how you would roll. Three year warranty. Some peace of mind.

Also, glad to hear you found a more reputable shop. Can just imagine the number of other customers your previous shop ripped off on bogus repairs.
Exactly... I have told the people who followed me there; one was not surprised, another was shocked... but none have returned. If you don't know how to fix it yourself, you really need to be able to trust what you are being told.
Old 10-07-11, 02:15 AM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Default racing sound at low speeds?

Lately have been hearing a sort of racing sound.. e.g., high rpms at low speed or when idling; out of sync with acceleration. The car drives well, I don't hear any knocking or 'bad' transmission sounds. Could this be revs of the continuously variable transmission or a dirty idle air controller (IAC) valve?
Old 10-07-11, 02:59 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Lately have been hearing a sort of racing sound.. e.g., high rpms at low speed or when idling; out of sync with acceleration. The car drives well, I don't hear any knocking or 'bad' transmission sounds. Could this be revs of the continuously variable transmission or a dirty idle air controller (IAC) valve?
Thought you had an RX330? Does not use a CVT, only the hybrids do.
Old 10-07-11, 06:59 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Default dirty IAC valve?

Thanks, RX330inFL, missed that. Yes I do have the RX330... Do you think the 'racing' sound could be a dirty IAC?

Just had the wheel bearing replaced and it's possible that what I am now hearing is normal but since I had been hearing the road noise with the bad bearing for some months, I may have forgotten what 'normal' sounds like.....
Old 10-07-11, 07:25 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Thanks, RX330inFL, missed that. Yes I do have the RX330... Do you think the 'racing' sound could be a dirty IAC?

Just had the wheel bearing replaced and it's possible that what I am now hearing is normal but since I had been hearing the road noise with the bad bearing for some months, I may have forgotten what 'normal' sounds like.....
If the problem occurs when idling I would pop the hood and see if you can hear the problem while under there. Also, if the engine is what is racing, no matter the cause, you would see it on the RPM gauge.

Is the A/C on? Wondering if you are hearing the compressor clutch on the A/C unit.

If you do not notice anything, next time you have it out for errands or such check when you get back to the house to see if you notice it then.
Old 10-07-11, 10:59 PM
LxRxKen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my current honda...you would hear alot of metal on metal "scraping" noises anytime the wheel was turned to the right. It wasn't too bad in the beginning but then it progressed and progressed. And it just had to go.
Old 10-07-11, 11:17 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LxRxKen
on my current honda...you would hear alot of metal on metal "scraping" noises anytime the wheel was turned to the right. It wasn't too bad in the beginning but then it progressed and progressed. And it just had to go.
More than likely the CV Joint and/or boot. Not terribly expensive considering.
Old 10-08-11, 09:25 AM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
If the problem occurs when idling I would pop the hood and see if you can hear the problem while under there. Also, if the engine is what is racing, no matter the cause, you would see it on the RPM gauge.

Is the A/C on? Wondering if you are hearing the compressor clutch on the A/C unit.

If you do not notice anything, next time you have it out for errands or such check when you get back to the house to see if you notice it then.

I checked the RPM gauge and it doesn't show up on that. I did park my car with the engine running when I first heard this, got out of the car and could hear the sound as it sat idle. This only goes on for a second and then stops altogether when it is parked idling.

I have read elsewhere that this 2005 has a loud engine... ? Do you think this could be the IAC valve? Thanks.