RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Anyone with a WALD kit installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-11, 06:48 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Seeing as there is some curiosity behind my thought, here are the details. Frankly I am getting a bit tired of the front of my car. Don't get me wrong, it looks nice and all and I still love the look of the RX. However sometimes the way the front is shaped is well "too high". I have been contemplating getting just a front lip for the car and essentially spraying it black to sort of "hide" it but give the front more "shape", if you know what I mean. The reason for the WALD kit question was to identify whether using that front bar would give me the shape without (i) having to purchase the side skirts and rear skirt (ii) be roughly in line with the OEM sides (the black rubber) and rear OEM bumper (the front is actually slightly higher than the rear OEM black rubber sides). From memory I do not recall anyone having done this on the RX (i.e. having just a front lip installed without the sides or rear), so there's nothing to measure against to say how good / bad it would look (unless I have missed someone doing this at some stage).

Anyway, I had a bit of a play with the photos from some cars I have seen with kits and did the following to get a gauge of what they would look like if I painted it black. This was the result, and frankly I love the look it gives the RX vs the original cars with the actual kit painted the same colour.

These lips (when looking against their original counterparts) give the car such a nice distinct look. Yes I know that it borrows from some cars with splash guards that are coming out of the factory now. I also had a look at this page but not sure if the actual RX330 and RX400h bottoms are the same exact shape (the plastic garnish is definately different though) as this may be another option.

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs...olesalers.html
Old 04-07-11, 07:17 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Of course I have seen the Rojam kit and that looks like a much smaller front bumper (so it could meet the lines of the OEM side rubber). Only problem of course is that I have not seen the Rojam on a white RX so have no idea what the detail in the bumper is (even though it probably wouldn't matter given that it would be painted black).

http://www.rojam.jp/gallery/harrier.html
Old 04-07-11, 07:39 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Actually I lie, I did find a link with the rojam kit in white (in the 3rd gen forum), and it looks good, especially considering that the side OEM rubber is actually painted the same colour. Looks quite good, only problem is the expense of getting the rojam front lip ($450 for a front lip only).

Last edited by draco; 04-07-11 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-08-11, 01:53 AM
ho0n
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks as though either would work looking at just the lines. The Wald kit looks like it starts higher with the thicker lip. The Rojam kit looks a little more OEM kit-esque, if you get my drift. However, I'm not so certain you'll love the look of either lip just painted all black, unless you'll paint the sideskirts and lower bumper trim black as well. I'll try my hand at some photoshops later tomorrow to play around with what options you may have with the look.
Old 04-08-11, 02:38 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ho0n
It looks as though either would work looking at just the lines. The Wald kit looks like it starts higher with the thicker lip. The Rojam kit looks a little more OEM kit-esque, if you get my drift. However, I'm not so certain you'll love the look of either lip just painted all black, unless you'll paint the sideskirts and lower bumper trim black as well. I'll try my hand at some photoshops later tomorrow to play around with what options you may have with the look.
The OEM side skirts are a "light black" if you get my meaning. They could be blackened up a bit more to match the black if the WALD kit were to be installed. I just got some measurements from the person I was waiting for and the WALD front lip, by itself would not look right with just the OEM side skirt trim. You would need to install the WALD sides and rear to get it to align properly and not look ugly.

My best bet may be to just the Rojam front lip and either leave it black or paint it the same colour as the car and paint the OEM side skirt trim as well.
Old 04-08-11, 05:28 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not feeling the black lip kit, but that's just me. I have the JOB kit and took a picture (might have been for you or another member on here) with the side skirts removed so you can see how it looks with just a front kit. I say paint it as I think you'll get tired of the black look and will always wonder what it looks like (on your car) painted.
Old 04-08-11, 07:06 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Veleno are you able to reattach the photo?
Old 04-08-11, 07:12 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

These are pictures I think of what the JOB kit looks like. I do believe that it does fall within the same category as the WALD in that you would need the sides to account for how much lower the front of the car would be (i.e the lip is fairly large). It's an awesome looking lip, but fear it might be too big to work with the lines for the rest of the OEM car.

Old 04-08-11, 07:57 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by veleno
I have the JOB kit and took a picture (might have been for you or another member on here) with the side skirts removed so you can see how it looks with just a front kit.
Veleno, I did a bit of a search and found the thread you mentioned, however the "photobucket" image links are all broken so now pictures on the thread at all. So if you, can you please repost these pictures?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...1-of-mods.html
Old 04-08-11, 08:01 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

My other though now also leads to also considering using the WALD kit (or other lip) and incorporating the side steps in with them as well to get a continous look (given that the side steps bring the side of the car down lower), as per these pictures:

Old 04-08-11, 08:39 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, the Rojam kits are beautiful! The lower lip for the 2gen is the most integrated I've seen, definitely of the "less is more" school. Really well designed stuff.

But the star of the show is the 3gen kit, this is the most beautifully designed car kit I've seen. It takes all the clunky factory bits and coordinates them into a cohesive design that is taut and clean. See how the front and rear now flow with the curvature of the body? It creates movement tension just sitting there. The other kits look like crude attempts by school children compared to the Rojam. There are some talented people behind this company.

Old 04-08-11, 08:43 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

There are a lot of kits for the 3rd Gen and some of them look great. However trying to find the right "cohension" for the 2nd Gen without necessarily destroying the look of the car is the challenge here.
Old 04-08-11, 08:54 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Tried the side steps ramp with the WALD kit. The perspective on the picture is a little skew but gives the overall idea behind what I was also thinking. Not sure if it would work or not.

Of course, blackened out as per my original intention

Old 04-08-11, 09:07 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
There are a lot of kits for the 3rd Gen and some of them look great. However trying to find the right "cohension" for the 2nd Gen without necessarily destroying the look of the car is the challenge here.
I agree, the difficulty in adding parts is most don't incorporate the original design and end up looking like you've just hung some crap off the front, rear and sides.

The 2gen Rojam, like the 3gen, incorporates the original lines of the car and has the cohesion you mention. The Rojam kits are much more subtle and may not appeal to those looking for a more attention grabbing appearance.

Different strokes for different folks!
Old 04-08-11, 06:10 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

I need to start getting some prices and I have been to the rojam website (www.rojam.jp) and had a look at their pricing. There list price is $450 just for the front lip. I'm trying to see if there is anywhere else that I can purchase this that may be at a reduced price. Anyone know of anywhere else that I could purchase the Rojam lip from?

Quick Reply: Anyone with a WALD kit installed