RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How to change a rear license plate w/o holder or threads? Remove trunk liner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-13, 11:59 PM
Arktor314
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change a rear license plate w/o holder or threads? Remove trunk liner?

I spent 6 hours today working on this, and I'm frustrated out of my mind and half-panicked because now my car doesn't have a license plate.

Backstory: I got this car a little while ago, got it registered in my new state, and needed to change the license plate. That was when I noticed that the screws looked horribly stripped. That was when I got them drilled out, and then discovered that they weren't screws at all, and there were no threads for screws to be put into.

So I can put bolts in there, but that means needing to be able to attach nuts to the other side. Which, I think, means removing the trunk liner. I have no clue how to do that without breaking it (there are some metal connectors attached to some white rubber things, but I can't slip them off because the liner will barely budge.)

This is a Lexus RX400h.

Empty Hole: https://i.imgur.com/pzj7xML.jpg
Back when it had a screw: https://i.imgur.com/HH18dvF.jpg
Old 08-11-13, 06:09 AM
ycl1688
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you get a wall anchor in the first picture shown, thing will be easier, does not have to be fancy.
this might help
Old 08-11-13, 06:40 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

This is what I would use http://www.lowes.com/Fasteners/Nuts/.../N-1z0yk2b/pl#!

You will need to drill the hole bigger but it once installed it will be a water tight seal. These are used to hold cosmetic roof racks on some cars. Just like a wall anchor, they expand as you tighten them up. Removing the interior trim and using nuts also will work but if you ever needed to replace the license plate that may be a pain.

Last edited by smassey321; 08-11-13 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-11-13, 06:54 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

I don't think that there is a device on the market made for this, so you will have to improvise.
Duct tape will solve the problem in the short run, as the absence of a rear plate is pretty conspicuous. Also, you can probably tape it to the inside of the window for security, and that will probably get you by for a while, but of course it looks pretty bad.
As for the real problem: it appears that the threads on the holes are pretty well drilled out already. What you need is something to fill that hole into which you can secure a screw. My first thought was a piece of wood dowel jammed it there tight, and then use wood screws to secure the plate, but that wood would probably let go of the screw after a year or two.
I would get a few plastic anchors designed for solid walls, and try various sizes. These usually come in happy colors, and are either cylindrical in shape or slightly conical. You need the biggest one you can pound into that hole. The problem with the anchor shown above is that the wings require a rather large hole - these are made for hollow walls, and although it would work in this application, you would need to drill a substantially larger hole that you have now to get the anchor in there. (I have used them for applications where I need a very solid anchor into drywall for something subject to stress, such as anchoring a TP holder to the wall - plastic anchors work themselves loose after about a hundred roll changes, but who's counting roll changes?)
Then get some sheet metal screws, pan head, of the right size, and a few washers because the screw head will be smaller or very close to the size of the hole in the plate (it looks like it had washers on it previously). While at the Depot, get a little spray paint the same shade as your state's plates, and paint the washers and the screw heads, because the RX is an elegant car.
Or just hot glue the plate to the back of the car and hope for the best.
Either way, problem solved.
Report back to us later.
Old 08-11-13, 08:04 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the above are alot of bad ideas,

you need to make new threads. go to a home depot or a auto zone etc. and buy yourself new bolts with the corresponding tap (obviously slighty larger than what was in there)

the tap will "make" the new threads, and away you go.
Old 08-11-13, 08:30 AM
tfischer

Self-tapping screws might work if the metal is soft, or, as noted, get the "taps" which will cut new threads, which would allow the use of bolts.That's an idea which might well work, and would be a lot better than using the plastic anchors, although the plastic anchors come in pretty colors and the taps are always dull.
Or use tape.
Old 08-11-13, 08:32 AM
peverette
Driver School Candidate

Could you possibly use something like this:

Cruiser Accessories 81230 Locking Fasteners, Domestic-Stainless : Amazon.com : Automotive Cruiser Accessories 81230 Locking Fasteners, Domestic-Stainless : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 08-11-13, 09:10 AM
tfischer

Nice! That looks like a plastic wall anchor modified for auto use.
I would think this would be an excellent solution, although I think I would use screws with a conventional head, as I would surely misplace the special wrench (unless it's a conventional allen wrench).
I would use this.
Or tape.

Last edited by tfischer; 08-11-13 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Removed references to the A-Rod suspension.
Old 08-11-13, 07:04 PM
Arktor314
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your help! I got some plastic wall anchors, so it's in there for now. I'll have to get something to thread it later, but at least it's resolved in the meantime.

Now to figure out how to get the front license plate on. The Lexus dealer here wanted $90 for the bracket, plus $60 for a "half-hour" to install it. Which is actually sounding like it might be my best option, since I don't really feel comfortable drilling my car.

Last edited by Arktor314; 08-11-13 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-12-13, 05:47 AM
ycl1688
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would front license plate installation be different ? Basically if you would use the same principle it should work, it is your money and your choice.