RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 350 transmission: change fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-16, 09:32 AM
mic575
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TrapBug1
I just took my car to a toyota dealer and had them do it, I also replaced brake fluid, diff fluid. They refused to change PS fluid saying they don't change it but I took a bit of fluid out and it looked clean so I am OK with that for now.
That's an interesting approach for the dealer to take. When I got my 07 in the summer of 16' my power steering fluid looked like cola. I started sucking the fluid out of the reservoir about once a week and refilling with fresh. Took two quarts for it to look red after a week of driving. Now I will change it out at every oil change. Hopefully, this approach won't make my rack start leaking sooner but who knows.
Old 03-19-19, 01:37 PM
maddavey
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just purchased a used 2008 RX350 AWD our previous car was an RX300 AWD. I did the full transmission filter and fluid change on the old RX300 as outlined here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...er-change.html

-Specifically they locate the oil cooler outlet hose in the tutorial which allows you to drain a couple more quarts when you start the car (after putting new fliud in the trans), almost like a full flush with no possible damage: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...utlet_hose.jpg

I like that method as it fully drains the transmission fluid and cooler as well as unloading the magnets and freeing up flow with a new filter. Has someone identified the oil cooler outlet hose on our RX350's so I can perform the same level of fluid change on our new to us RX350?

Can anyone help me identify the oil cooler outlet line?

Thanks!

Last edited by maddavey; 03-21-19 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-22-19, 06:58 PM
mimranbeig
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone used Amsoil transmission oil instead of Toyota WS for a RX350 to do a drain and fill?
Old 12-23-19, 08:32 PM
fabchef
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

question....did you also change the filter as well? I too want to change out the fluid in my 2009 RX 350. I'm at about 127k miles on the car. I think the fluid had been drained once, but not sure of the filter.
the dealership had stated that they never really change it out. I'm on the fence as to wether just to drain and fill, or drop the pan and change filter. the car still runs and shifts okay..
I don't know how long these cars go with original filter???
fab
Old 12-24-19, 02:45 AM
lecturer
Driver School Candidate

Default 2004 Rx330 hesitation at first start and drive of the day when cold.

I have 2004 lexus rx330 at 132k miles. I noticed that at first start of the day especially when the weather is cold, it makes a cracking noise for a few seconds which disappears. Few weeks later, it hesitates on acceleration especially when I want to over take another vehicle. Presently, at first start of the day, it hesitates when put to drive mode, and revs up to 4000 to 5000 before it grudgingly starts to move. Once it starts moving, it won't repeat it throughout the day as long as the engine is hot.

I service and change the engine oil and oil filter frequently. The engine oil has remained within the normal range most of the time though it passes the highest level mark some times. The transmission oil is within the normal range.

About this time last year, I had similar problems with this car. After all efforts to resolve it on my own failed, I took it to a car mechanic who after check informed me that the transmission oil pump was bad and needed to be changed. It cost much to have it changed and the car gradually returned to normal after about 2 weeks.

Now, the problem is back again. Is there no means of resolving it permanently? Please, I need help. This car is frustrating me. Has anyone experienced this?

kindly help me please.
Old 12-24-19, 04:01 AM
lecturer
Driver School Candidate

Default 2004 Rx330 hesitation at first start and drive of the day when cold.

I have 2004 lexus rx330 at 132k miles. I noticed that at first start of the day especially when the weather is cold, it makes a cracking noise for a few seconds which disappears. Few weeks later, it hesitates on acceleration especially when I want to over take another vehicle. Presently, at first start of the day, it hesitates when put to drive mode, and revs up to 4000 to 5000 before it grudgingly starts to move. Once it starts moving, it won't repeat it throughout the day as long as the engine is hot. I also noticed that the reverse drive runs smoothly without any problem.

I service and change the engine oil and oil filter frequently. The engine oil has remained within the normal range most of the time though it passes the highest level mark some times. The transmission oil is within the normal range.

About this time last year, I had similar problems with this car. After all efforts to resolve it on my own failed, I took it to a car mechanic who after check informed me that the transmission oil pump was bad and needed to be changed. It cost much to have it changed and the car gradually returned to normal after about 2 weeks.

Now, the problem is back again. Is there no means of resolving it permanently? Please, I need help. This car is frustrating me. Has anyone experienced this?

Kindly help me please.
Old 01-08-20, 07:25 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 460 Likes on 401 Posts

When was the last time you changed the trans fluid & filter? Not just a drain the fluid, but remove the pan & have a look at the debris.
Old 01-13-20, 05:44 AM
lecturer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Felixtheca
When was the last time you changed the trans fluid & filter? Not just a drain the fluid, but remove the pan & have a look at the debris.
The transmission fluid was changed 12 months ago during which the filter was also inspected and adjudged to be good. The mechanic changed only the transmission pump.

Thank you for your response.

Any assistance is appreciated.
Old 01-13-20, 11:12 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lecturer
The transmission fluid was changed 12 months ago during which the filter was also inspected and adjudged to be good. The mechanic changed only the transmission pump.

Thank you for your response.

Any assistance is appreciated.
Wow, IDK how he came to the conclusion for swapping out the pump & not even mentioning, since your here, lets have a look at the clutch packs. How 'bout the shift solenoid's as well.......Its not like a pump goes bad or has wear vs the clutch packs. Similar to a engine that has wore out rod/mains & the mechanic says you need a new oil pump. Really best to start your own new thread as you'd get more responses vs piggy backing on someone else's thread about trans fluid changes....

Last edited by Felix; 01-13-20 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-13-20, 11:18 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Felixtheca
Wow, IDK how he came to the conclusion for swapping out the pump & not even mentioning, since your here, lets have a look at the clutch packs. How 'bout the shift solenoid's as well.......Its not like a pump goes bad or has wear vs the clutch packs. Similar to a engine that has wore out rod/mains & the mechanic says you need a new oil pump.
That's funny cuz I was thinking the same thing.
If a trans shop told me the fluid pump failed the first thing I would want to know is why and how much damage was done.
I would expect a heck of a lot more info before approving a job like that without a complete rebuild but that's just me.
PS- And it's doing the same thing again?

Last edited by Margate330; 01-13-20 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-13-20, 11:44 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Margate330
That's funny cuz I was thinking the same thing.
If a trans shop told me the fluid pump failed the first thing I would want to know is why and how much damage was done.
I would expect a heck of a lot more info before approving a job like that without a complete rebuild but that's just me.
PS- And it's doing the same thing again?
Yeah I'd expect it would after a bit as yeah a new pump would help at 1st for a few miles. Easy enough to swap out the pump vs a tear down of the trans. IDK the shop & whether the mechanic wanted to tie up a rack for more then a few hours.