RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Want to get rid of my 07 350 RX

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-10, 04:09 PM
momtogrif
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to get rid of my 07 350 RX

Ok, here's my deal. I bought my RX as a used CPO vehicle from a dealership that is located 45 mins from my home, exactly 1 year ago.
Here's a brief timeline: White dust problem, had to bring it in to get the heater core replaced. 2 weeks later I was back in and was having them fix my dash as it was creaking quite a bit since they took it out to replace the heater part. When they replaced the dash, they had put a hole in the outside of my glove box and had also broken my driver side air vent. Both items had been fixed but I had to take the time to get the car there, leave it there to be fixed, and then drive the 45 mins back to go pick it back up. Granted, Lexus has stood by their product and they have fixed these things but after owning a Toyota and going to a Toyota dealership for years, I have never had a dealership be so careless with my vehicle.

They also had to replace one of my headlight covers as it started fogging up after they had serviced it and they said it was because of the high pressure washes they give the cars.

OK: fast forward to the past 2 months. I have had a problem with the ignition core. At random times my key will just not turn or move the ignition core and has nearly left me stranded in parking lots. After it happened about 5 times(my husband was witness to the last time and told me this was unacceptable) I finally brought it to the dealership. They replaced the ignition core and sent me on my way. It happened again with the new core and we tried both keys. My husband tried his key and had to try it several times before the ignition core would budge.

So, I called my service rep and told him that the problem is happening again, and with both keys. He was originally concerned about this issue as far as safety was concerned. I have called him twice and left him messages, this was a week and a half ago, and I haven't heard from him. What do I make of this? I really do like the car, I get good gas mileage, I like the fact that Lexus gives me a loaner car(even though it's normally a Toyota Corolla), and I like the car's design. I'm just so very frustrated with this dealer's lack of respect for my property and for my safety.
Old 12-10-10, 04:45 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

time for another dealership...
Old 12-10-10, 05:53 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd agree its time for a new dealership. Also I would complain to Lexus' head office about the trouble that you have experienced.

If you would like to rid your vehicle. Get Lexus to purchase it back at the sale price. If they laugh at you seek arbitration to get your cash back and move into another vehicle. Its a bit of a process but once its served to Lexus they have 7 days to respond. This is how it works in Canada.

I hope this helps
Old 12-10-10, 08:56 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Sorry to hear your misery. You are not the norm. However you seem to have taken the brunt on all the major issues on the RX. But for an 07, it sounds weird. The 04~06 took the brunt of the issues.

Good luck to whatever you decide to do.
Old 12-10-10, 09:43 PM
momtogrif
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Sorry to hear your misery. You are not the norm. However you seem to have taken the brunt on all the major issues on the RX. But for an 07, it sounds weird. The 04~06 took the brunt of the issues.

Good luck to whatever you decide to do.
Thank you. I have the same color car as yours! Love the Bamboo. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I still have the white dust problem whenever I use the heat. It's still really bad and I'm disappointed in Lexus right now.
Old 12-10-10, 10:32 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

the first thing i was gonna say was take it to carmax lol, and if you like the offer they give you, sell it

but i agree with everyone else with another dealership first and foremost
Old 12-11-10, 06:38 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Why not document everything you have told us here and send to to Lexus Corporate and ask them what they think should be done about it? Be sure to ask for a timely response and add a question on what happened to the Lexus brand quality image.
Old 12-11-10, 07:08 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

^I'd also add telling Lexus what you believe to be a fair resolution. Let them know you enjoy the RX when you are not experiencing these problems. And definitely find another dealer. They should be ashamed of themselves for being so careless and negligent. All Lexus dealers are not the same. Best of luck to you.
Old 12-11-10, 09:24 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

For the OP and others who experience service issues:

Keep in mind the vehicles are machines and if you are not the only owner, you dont know the history of the vehicle [CPO is a good assurance to get].

I would claim myself to be an avid DIY and know that many times one thing would lead to another ... I, at times would live with a problem then try to fix it. It is fair to expect that dealership are professionals but I would expect creaks and groans after they take the dash apart. 2nd trip would be my expectation.

With older vehicles, you can also have unrelated failures in succession.

Service writer is the first person to talk about the issues you have, so try to stick with one service writer. You should not need more than 2 calls or 1 day of wait time for the response. Then promptly call the "service manager". The next person should be the dealership manager and "Lexus Corp". Going out of sequence will undoubtedly cause delays and for resolution you will be referred back to some one you skipped in the chain.

The other non-escalation option is to go to another dealer. Note the vehicle history and service records are shared by all Lexus dealerships.

Last of all, I have seen some customers behave in a bad fashion when dealing with service reps or cashiers. Treat them with respect and dignity even if you are hopping mad.

Salim
Old 12-11-10, 02:22 PM
momtogrif
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
For the OP and others who experience service issues:

Keep in mind the vehicles are machines and if you are not the only owner, you dont know the history of the vehicle [CPO is a good assurance to get].

I would claim myself to be an avid DIY and know that many times one thing would lead to another ... I, at times would live with a problem then try to fix it. It is fair to expect that dealership are professionals but I would expect creaks and groans after they take the dash apart. 2nd trip would be my expectation.

With older vehicles, you can also have unrelated failures in succession.

Service writer is the first person to talk about the issues you have, so try to stick with one service writer. You should not need more than 2 calls or 1 day of wait time for the response. Then promptly call the "service manager". The next person should be the dealership manager and "Lexus Corp". Going out of sequence will undoubtedly cause delays and for resolution you will be referred back to some one you skipped in the chain.

The other non-escalation option is to go to another dealer. Note the vehicle history and service records are shared by all Lexus dealerships.

Last of all, I have seen some customers behave in a bad fashion when dealing with service reps or cashiers. Treat them with respect and dignity even if you are hopping mad.

Salim
Agreed. This car was a CPO from a former lease and was serviced by Lexus at the dealership from whom I purchased the vehicle. So, they have all the records and I've had all the work done at their dealership, too. I have stayed with one service rep and I have been VERY patient with him even when there service guys have dropped the ball. A lot of the problem is that the technicians don't treat the car with respect and the service reps aren't checking the vehicle before I pick it up. Many times I go to pick up my vehicle and I don't even see my rep as he's on break or with another customer or on the phone, etc. As a matter of fact, I don't think he's ever been there when I've actually picked up the car. They usually just pull it out for me, hand me the keys, and send me on my way without any contact from my actual rep. Is this odd or the norm at most dealers?
Old 12-11-10, 03:06 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by momtogrif
Agreed. This car was a CPO from a former lease and was serviced by Lexus at the dealership from whom I purchased the vehicle. So, they have all the records and I've had all the work done at their dealership, too. I have stayed with one service rep and I have been VERY patient with him even when there service guys have dropped the ball. A lot of the problem is that the technicians don't treat the car with respect and the service reps aren't checking the vehicle before I pick it up. Many times I go to pick up my vehicle and I don't even see my rep as he's on break or with another customer or on the phone, etc. As a matter of fact, I don't think he's ever been there when I've actually picked up the car. They usually just pull it out for me, hand me the keys, and send me on my way without any contact from my actual rep. Is this odd or the norm at most dealers?
I have had to switch 2 reps, before I was happy with one. Unfortunately he moved. Since then my vehicles are out of warranty and now I deal with the parts department.

Salim
Old 12-11-10, 03:23 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I've had the same service advisor for 12 years now. She always takes the time to talk to me before and after service no matter how busy she is. And she only lets two techs work on my RX. The service manager checks in on me too to make sure everything is ok.
Old 12-11-10, 03:36 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That seized ignition switched happened to me for probably the second time in a year and a half just a couple weeks ago. I wish there was some definitive reason / solution to this, as it seems to be a fairly common problem.
Old 12-12-10, 01:11 PM
foremandes
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same ignition problem and just started a thread on it. Maybe we'll get something...
Old 12-13-10, 04:43 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about the issues. Time to call Lexus Customer Care. Wow! They give you a Toyota Corrolla? That's pretty lame.

Quick Reply: Want to get rid of my 07 350 RX