RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Brake Recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-10, 11:12 AM
968racer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
I doubt that they get it from DMV. It is based on who is the registered [at time of purchase/on-line] etc in Lexus records. It should be one of things they check at time of service. Maybe some member who works at dealership can confirm?

Salim
I've purchased cars from private parties in the past & have received notices of recalls. I do my own service on my cars. How else would they know who to send the recall notices to?

I just found this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5967088_cope-auto-recall.html

& from the Tips & Warning section:

Auto manufacturers send recall notification letters to individuals who purchased that particular vehicle, but they get their data from each state's motor vehicle department. Unfortunately, due to a number of reasons, not every owner gets their notification letter. If you know you own a car that's included in a recall and you haven't received a letter, contact the manufacturer or a local dealer directly.
Old 10-21-10, 11:38 AM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just called Lexus Service Department..they said they will be sending out letters in the middle of November. And since I purchased my car from a private party she told me to call back then and they will check my vin number and see if I qualify for the recall.
Old 10-21-10, 12:00 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Another article on the newly announced recall...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101021/..._toyota_recall
Old 10-21-10, 12:45 PM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Just had Firestone flush out the brake fluid on my car. Brake feel is horrible afterward - Very light but no issue in stopping the car. I don't think they used the scan tool to force the ABS to engage and force out the additional air bubbles/old fluid. I was going to re-bleed the brakes myself this time, but hearing this news, I'm going to let Lexus take care of the issue (two birds with one stone). Never going back to Firestone for brake fluid service again.
Old 10-21-10, 07:16 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The most important issue is will they go good for a full tank of fuel?? back in the day any recall lexus performed included a full tank. does anyone know if that policy is still in place?? i am in canada, so i hope its here.
Old 10-21-10, 08:42 PM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kiwi
The most important issue is will they go good for a full tank of fuel?? back in the day any recall lexus performed included a full tank. does anyone know if that policy is still in place?? i am in canada, so i hope its here.
You must be kidding?
Old 10-21-10, 11:44 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Safety Recall ALG - Certain 2006 Model Year Lexus IS and GS Vehicles & Certain 2004 through 2006 Model Year RX Vehicles Brake Master Cylinder Cup Replacement
At the present time, Lexus is developing a remedy for this Safety Recall.

Condition:
During vehicle assembly, Toyota uses brake fluids containing polymers that act as lubricants for certain brake system components. If replacement brake fluid is used that does not contain a sufficient amount of polymers, a part of the rubber seal (Brake Master Cylinder Cup) located at the rear of the master cylinder may become dry and curl. If this occurs, a small amount of the brake fluid could slowly leak into the brake booster, resulting in brake warning lamp illumination. If the vehicle continues to be operated in this condition, the brake pedal feel could change, and braking performance could begin to gradually degrade.

Remedy Availability:
Toyota anticipates that the remedy will be available in early Nov. 2010. At which time, will be notify by first class mail. Information will be posted once the remedy is available.
Old 10-22-10, 05:45 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi
Yeah, they used to do that. Not sure if they will now but I'll be sure to bring it in on fumes!
Old 10-22-10, 05:59 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Checked the owners link and none so far. It is clear that they have not sent out notices.

It is funny that they have announced it prior to the process. Probably part of the settlement with the Feds.

$16 million fine, but that's peanuts to the actual damage to Toyota.

It is just a speed bump for Toyota, they will come back more lean and mean.

And we all benefit, lower Toyota car price and better quality. I say thank you!
Old 10-22-10, 07:36 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Checked the owners link and none so far. It is clear that they have not sent out notices.
The information above in my previous post was found for my vehicle when I logged into Lexus Drivers. So, has been posted at least for some owners. Now, who all is affected is another story. Is it all 2004-2006 RX330 or just certain models? For example, is it just the FWD? Only time will tell.

Everyone just needs to be patient. Those affected will get something in the mail just like we did for the floor mats.
Old 10-22-10, 10:08 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

If you have taken your car in for a recall and they put gas in it for you then that was your dealership that did that for you most will not. If your car has an VIN number that starts with a J then it was made in Japan if it starts with an 2 then it was an Canadian production unit. Time will tall but show that it will be all RX330 from 2004-2005. But if not then some of us will not have to deal with it.
Old 10-22-10, 11:00 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

honestly doesnt seem like a huge problem. Everyone knows that in a car that cant stop, you shift to neutral and then you apply the parking brake slowly to bring you to a controlled stop (you could also use the shiftable gate and use engine braking) I for one dont need to worry because I get my car serviced at the dealership so they must be using the right kind of fluid.
Old 10-22-10, 12:26 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

This is NOT a big deal. Toyota will fix it. But right now it's fashionable to whack Toyota, maybe because the government now has a direct interest in spanking the non-Big 3. Not doubt that Toy has had some troubles lately. But I still ask anyone who bashes this question: Would you rather have an 8 year old (or even merely 4 year old) Toy/Hon or a "Big Three" old car?
Old 10-22-10, 01:56 PM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I emailed my service advisor, he said they should have the parts within 2 months!!
Old 10-22-10, 03:35 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe Lexus will provide loaners cars so you don't have to drive your vehicle until its fixed.

Quick Reply: RX330 Brake Recall