RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Thinking about buying a Lexus RX330 from a little old lady

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 04:52 AM
infotime
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thinking about buying a Lexus RX330 from a little old lady

One of my long time customers, an elderly couple in their 80's, is getting ready to replace their 2004 Lexus RX330 with a new car. They've owned the vehicle since it was new and took it in for regular service at their Lexus dealer. It's never been in an accident or had any major issues. It has 47,000 miles on it.

I'm not in the market for a new car for me or my wife right now. She drives a 98 Accord with 190,000 miles and I drive an 01 with 149,000 miles. Both of our cars run great and we're very satisfied with them. Although we realize that we'll likely need to replace hers before too long.

When the man showed me his quotes on the new car from the dealers it was a "isn't this interesting" moment. As I thought about what he was doing and how little it seemed the dealer was giving him on trade I asked if they'd be interested in selling the car outright.

I've known them and their family for a long time and trust that the car is sound. In fact the wife (primary owner / driver) took me to the garage to look at it and pointed out the minor flaws, which were all mostly cosmetic.

I could probably buy it for $17,000 - $18,000, although we haven't talked price yet. It's the type of car my wife would like to get, a small-ish SUV.

When buying a used car this is the ideal situation: buy it from someone you know, who has taken good care of it, and buy a used car with low miles.

I'm getting car fever. Someone please talk me into this (or out of it)
Old 10-07-10, 05:16 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds fine but there's one sure way to either solidify or permanently ruin a friendship (let alone customer relationship )..... that's by selling/buying a car between them

In most states, trading in a car has tax advantages too (sales tax is only charged on difference b/w the new less the trade). So, as long as you give them the same value they were offered at trade plus the sales tax difference (if applicable) all parties should be happy. That being said, paying the local dealer or a qualified independent Lexus mechanic $2-300 for a 2-3 hour inspection on a used vehicle is also prudent...

Good luck

Last edited by BurgBoxstr; 10-07-10 at 05:27 AM.
Old 10-07-10, 06:28 AM
ycl1688
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is one in a lifetime buy, grab it.
Old 10-07-10, 09:38 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I say you go for it.

How are the options on this car?

Navigation.
Back up camera
Mark Levinson audio system
Heated seats
HID and HL washers
Air suspension

Any of the above? If you have at least 1, you have more of the above. Like NAV with camera and Mark Levinson. Air suspension with heated seats.
Old 10-07-10, 11:31 AM
infotime
Driver School Candidate

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have navigation. Heated seats would be nice, but I don't think my wife would care too much about any of those options (of course, I'd love to have them all!).

We haven't really talked price at all. What would be a fair price? At what number would you say "no thanks"?
Old 10-07-10, 11:41 AM
infotime
Driver School Candidate

It does have the powered lift gate.

The worst flaw she pointed out was the weatherstrip seal under the spoiler on the top of the lift gate. There's a small strip that's hanging loose. She said that water will get in there and showed me where the headliner on the inside was stained. I asked when water gets in and she said only when going through a car wash. (I wonder how many of you cringed when I said car wash? )
Old 10-07-10, 11:49 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I take mine through the car washes, You have to in the winter here where I live (that is if you want a clean car)
Old 10-07-10, 12:02 PM
timho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to talk you out of it, but if you really want the car (which seems in great shape), make sure you check it out thoroughly regardless what owner tells you. The only problem buying from close friends/relatives is that if something goes south, it may jeopardize the relationship. Good luck!
Old 10-07-10, 12:27 PM
infotime
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timho
Not trying to talk you out of it, but if you really want the car (which seems in great shape), make sure you check it out thoroughly regardless what owner tells you. The only problem buying from close friends/relatives is that if something goes south, it may jeopardize the relationship. Good luck!
That's a good point. It's not that I don't trust the sellers to be honest with me. But, there could be some looming problem that they're not aware of.

The more I think of it the more I'm leaning toward moving forward. About a year ago I agreed we'd look into buying a used Murano, a car I liked. After looking around at CarMax for a while my wife took a liking to the Honda Passport, a car I don't care much for. I think the Lexus is something we'd both like.

The biggest plus is that I don't have to spend hours and hours of research, test drives, evaluations, etc. trying to find a good used car.
Old 10-07-10, 12:31 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Go for it! Sounds like a good deal...17k or 18k both prices seem reasonable, that is based off of what you told us about the car's condition.

I for one did cringe as i read car wash, but I agree with Lexus114 in the winter car washes are the only way to wash the car. In the winter I get mine washed at a car wash, for about friggin' $15; i know it's pretty expensive but it comes with the rainX, and wax.
Old 10-07-10, 02:23 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 2005 RX330 and love it. I would look at the maintenance schedule for a 2004, which is now 6 years old. Depending on the engine option in the car, it could be due for a timing belt change based on time, not mileage. I believe it is recommended at 6 years/90k miles, whichever comes first. Look at your recommended service for 90k miles and figure about $1300 for maintenance. Also check to see if the transmission TSB has been done to improve the shift. A lot of RX owners have experienced a lag in downshifting of the transmission while coasting about 15-20 mph and applying gas to accelerate. Other than the recommended maintenance and the tranny TSB, my RX has run flawless with 56k miles.
Old 10-07-10, 02:41 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by infotime
It does have the powered lift gate.

The worst flaw she pointed out was the weatherstrip seal under the spoiler on the top of the lift gate. There's a small strip that's hanging loose. She said that water will get in there and showed me where the headliner on the inside was stained. I asked when water gets in and she said only when going through a car wash. (I wonder how many of you cringed when I said car wash? )
Lexus just issued a TSB on this leak. But too bad yours is out of warranty.
Old 10-07-10, 02:44 PM
mandyfig

Sorry, it is not yours yet, I meant the little old lady's RX is out of warranty, LOL.
Old 10-07-10, 04:41 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'd definitely get the '04 checked out along with the 60k service to play it safe. Small investment in my book if you're serious. The more you know up front, the better. It's nice she's pointed out some of the issues she's aware of but buyer beware, long time customer or not.

I traded in my six plus year old '04 with barely 50K miles. New OE Michelin tires were put on a few months earlier. Dealer certified it and sold for somewhere around $25K

Car washes? Blasphemy! This picture was taken last December the day after a storm. Temp was around 36 degrees. My RX gets hand washed by me year round every week. Inside and out. Wusses
Attached Thumbnails Thinking about buying a Lexus RX330 from a little old lady-get-attachment-1.aspx.jpg  
Old 10-07-10, 06:17 PM
infotime
Driver School Candidate

So you're saying go ahead and get the 60K service as soon as we buy it? About how much does that cost? What do they do?

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a Lexus RX330 from a little old lady