RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Wheel Lock Lug Nut Broke -- worth replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-14, 12:26 PM
tawm
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wheel Lock Lug Nut Broke -- worth replacing?

One of the McGuard locking wheel lug nuts broke, fortunately while I was at the Lexus dealer putting snow tires on my 2008 RX 350. They had a big problem getting the lug off; and suggested junking ALL 4 of the locking wheel nuts and using regular Lexus lugs instead. (They expect the other lugs' locking mechanism to break as well over time).
1) Is anyone aware of Lexus wheels getting stolen (more often than other cars)?
2) As the locking nuts are accessories not covered by the extended warranty, I would have to buy another new set of 4 (or fight with Lexus to replace them). Worthwhile effort?
Any comments / advice, please? Is it worth going through the trouble/expense of keeping a set of locking wheel lug nuts? So far, I've been lucky and only needed to take the wheels off when changing from snows / all-season annually (Lexus Service has done that each time). But apparently that was enough wear to break one of the locking mechanisms.
Thanks.
Old 01-22-14, 12:56 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I'd just replace the wheel locks with regular lug nuts.

If they want to steal it, they'll do it either way. It's not difficult to remove the wheel locks.
Old 01-22-14, 01:01 PM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

I would keep locks because even though you can still jack the wheels with them on, I like to assume it thwarts criminals because it does take some extra time to remove. McGuard is a good brand, I am surprised it broke.
Old 01-22-14, 01:15 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tawm
One of the McGuard locking wheel lug nuts broke, fortunately while I was at the Lexus dealer putting snow tires on my 2008 RX 350. They had a big problem getting the lug off; and suggested junking ALL 4 of the locking wheel nuts and using regular Lexus lugs instead. (They expect the other lugs' locking mechanism to break as well over time).
1) Is anyone aware of Lexus wheels getting stolen (more often than other cars)?
2) As the locking nuts are accessories not covered by the extended warranty, I would have to buy another new set of 4 (or fight with Lexus to replace them). Worthwhile effort?
Any comments / advice, please? Is it worth going through the trouble/expense of keeping a set of locking wheel lug nuts? So far, I've been lucky and only needed to take the wheels off when changing from snows / all-season annually (Lexus Service has done that each time). But apparently that was enough wear to break one of the locking mechanisms.
Thanks.
Why don't you gove a call to McGuard and see if they will replace the broken lug?
Old 01-22-14, 01:44 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pauljcl
Why don't you gove a call to McGuard and see if they will replace the broken lug?
1 year warranty.
Old 01-23-14, 04:57 AM
GWD
Driver School Candidate

I bought expensive chrome rims from the Lexus dealer (on sale) when the RX was purchased. At that time I asked for the locking lugs to be replaced with regular lug nuts.

The reason being that, while they may be a slight theft deterrent, they are far more of a hassle in case of a flat tire, tire rotation, or as you found, breakage. The thought of breaking a locking lug in some remote location makes me shudder.

The choice really boils down to where your RX is parked, stored, the security, and the time of day the car is exposed. For example: the car sits in a remote area of a bar parking lot at midnight in a seedy part of town...locking lugs recommended.

Mine is parked in a locked attached garage behind a locked farm gate that has three large dogs roaming the area. Still have the expensive chrome rims.
Old 01-23-14, 10:53 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

With or without the locks, if they want it, it is theirs or otherwise they will make sure they damage it, just because!
Old 01-27-14, 05:09 PM
tawm
Driver

Default Thanks for your thoughts -- they are appreciated!

Thanks everyone for sharing those thoughts. I guess I will keep the standard wheel lugnuts from now on....the risk of having a broken locking lug in a remote location isn't worth tempting fate!
Old 01-28-14, 09:50 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Just happened to me. Suddenly I am missing my lock key for my SC. I probably did the same thing as I have done before, rotated the tires and left the key and lost it. I wanted to bang my head on the table. My record shows June 2013, I rotated the tires.

As I have a few cars with locks on them left, I retrieved the key on my son's Highlander, and guess what?

You would not believe it...it is identical to the SC's lock key! How weird is that...or how lucky I am.

I took off the locks on my SC, luckily I had 2 spare lug nuts. DONE!

Only the IS has the locks still. I have to purchase lug nuts so I can replace them as well.

The locks have not been as needed as perceived.

YMMV depending on where you live and play, what kind of parking you have.

Lesson learned.