RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

'04 RX330 reliability, persuade or stay away?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-10, 07:03 PM
MooF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 RX330 reliability, persuade or stay away?

Hi RX owners, I'm a newb, and sorry to state a general reliability question here but after some basic searches, I'm debating on the reliability of a 2004 AWD with 90k miles (155k km). We're in need of a car-like SUV and came close to deciding on a Highlander. But for nearly the same money, we can get ourselves into a pre-owned Lexus and enjoy the ride and our trips that much more...

Am I buying trouble? Must I check to ensure timing belt/w.pump and any tranny ECM updates have been done? I can get a hold of the service records.

I'm new to Toyota/Lexus and we're looking for a reliable but nice ride to last us another 100k if possible ??

Cheers, From Toronto, Canada (not Cali, the profile wouldn't let me choose otherwise)
Old 08-22-10, 08:02 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can put the VIN into the My Lexus website and see the dealer service history. Buying with this many miles is rolling the dice. You may get many miles of trouble-free service or could need to replace parts. You can use the Toyota dealer and save $$$ on maintenance and service. Personally, I would go for less mileage if planning on keeping the car long-term and possibly get a warranty if the deal was good.
Old 08-22-10, 09:04 PM
action
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not sure if canadian cars work on the lexus.com service history. I put mine in and it showed up nothing. If you plan on getting that car with that many miles (actually any 2nd hand car for the matter) i would recommend spending some money for an hour's labor at your trusted indie mechanic to have him thuroughly inspect the car. $100 is peanuts to pay when you're purchasing a car which can save you thousands in the long run. Oh and dont use those AAA inspectors either, they're expensive and a joke. You'll need a mechanic with a hoist to lift the car up and check in, out, up and below.
Old 08-22-10, 09:16 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I'd stay away from the Highlander. A family friend had a 2004, and my dad had his RX330. Anyways, the Highlander for some reason got WORSE fuel economy than the RX330 - essentially the same car, right?

The same people sold the Highlander and got an RX... lol
Old 08-23-10, 06:09 AM
MooF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by action
im not sure if canadian cars work on the lexus.com service history. I put mine in and it showed up nothing. If you plan on getting that car with that many miles (actually any 2nd hand car for the matter) i would recommend spending some money for an hour's labor at your trusted indie mechanic to have him thuroughly inspect the car. $100 is peanuts to pay when you're purchasing a car which can save you thousands in the long run. Oh and dont use those AAA inspectors either, they're expensive and a joke. You'll need a mechanic with a hoist to lift the car up and check in, out, up and below.
Yep, I was planning on having either a Lexus dealer or an Indie check through the car. I plan to review the service records as well since the seller apparently has the paperwork. I've had a bad habit of falling for a car, and then no matter what the mechanic review says, I tend to justify the purchase and go for it anyway. I've had bad luck that way and ended up with a nightmare in many cases. Not sure why I don't follow my gut more often. It's amazing how sometimes your 'gut' can tell you if a car has been neglected and you know its a bad decision, but the options on a vehicle such as DVD/Nav suck you into the purchase anyway.. I suppose I should know better that if something is too good to be true (low price) it probably is..
Old 08-23-10, 06:55 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

These cars are extremely reliable, both are the RX330 and the Highlander. It all depends on your budget, and how you like the looks of the cars. Like mentioned, before have them i inspected/checked before purchase. If you find anything wrong, and want it fixed before buying, MAKE SURE to have it WRITTEN IN THE CONTRACT, don't take there word for it have them write it on the sale of contract. Be sure to get the timing belt included in the contract, because it looks like the RX your looking is at 90k, if they don't want to do the timing belt and water pump then have them take off the money that it would take to replace both tb and water pump.

Last edited by hypervish; 08-23-10 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-23-10, 12:34 PM
noz34me
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if you have the scheduled service done they're very reliable. It's the pay me now or pay me later syndrome. That said, there's a hefty 90K service that includes the timing belt. You may want to see if that was already done, but my guess is no.
Old 08-23-10, 02:20 PM
MooF
Driver School Candidate

I'm looking at a different (nicer) but similar vehicle with 88k miles. I got a copy of the service records..the previous owner was meticulous on the timing of regular service, doing all the fluids (differential, coolant) on time and at exactly 60k (100k km) they did the tranny and other fluid changes. Brakes at 75k miles and now the car is up for sale.
So no, the timing belt was not done. I plan to perform the timing belt at my dealer just to be safe and inspect the w/p at the same time.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-23-10, 02:48 PM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We have nearly 105,000 miles on our 04, it had 12000 when we bought it dealer lease return. Just now changed the front brake pads, and the rears have 65% left. Only issue was the air ride check switch got damage under the car, had that replace at the dealer, they said it was odd that it got hit and broken. Oh and a driver side wheel bearing at about 85,000 miles. Only think I dread is the timing belt/chain replacement at 120,000 miles. We are considering keeping it just to see how many miles we can rack up on it.
Old 08-23-10, 03:22 PM
noz34me
Rookie

Originally Posted by LophatRX
We have nearly 105,000 miles on our 04, it had 12000 when we bought it dealer lease return. Just now changed the front brake pads, and the rears have 65% left. Only issue was the air ride check switch got damage under the car, had that replace at the dealer, they said it was odd that it got hit and broken. Oh and a driver side wheel bearing at about 85,000 miles. Only think I dread is the timing belt/chain replacement at 120,000 miles. We are considering keeping it just to see how many miles we can rack up on it.
Lexus recommended timing belt replacement is 90K or 6 years, whichever occurs first. Most here think that unnecessary, but it's a small price compared to replacing the engine, which is what you'll do if the belt breaks. My shop replaces the water pump for parts cost only when they do the belt since it's just sitting right there once they tear down the engine to where they can do the belt. Again, I think that was unnecessary, but the pump was $125 so why not while in there?
Old 08-23-10, 03:40 PM
noz34me
Rookie

Originally Posted by MooF
I'm looking at a different (nicer) but similar vehicle with 88k miles. I got a copy of the service records..the previous owner was meticulous on the timing of regular service, doing all the fluids (differential, coolant) on time and at exactly 60k (100k km) they did the tranny and other fluid changes. Brakes at 75k miles and now the car is up for sale.
So no, the timing belt was not done. I plan to perform the timing belt at my dealer just to be safe and inspect the w/p at the same time.

Thanks for the replies.
Should also mention to check the following: Wheels (paint) many have bubbling, flaking paint on especially the sides of the "spokes". If you have a luggage rack, check that the releases on the crossbars work. Many '04's have broken catches on the crossbars and they are a PIA to adjust if that's the case. This problem is known by Lexus and many were replaced under warranty, but a lot of people were unaware they were even broken. There's also the infamous water in the headlights problem, again some replaced under warranty, others still out there. Not trying to scare you away, but none of these issues will be fixed under warranty now, and I don't think any of these problems are even under the CPO warranty either. Good luck with your choice.
Old 08-23-10, 08:45 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LophatRX

I went to a shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus (OEM parts) and the timing belt was $189. As with the other poster, I went ahead and had the water pump replaced for an additional $175. Overall, I thought the price was reasonable. Of course, Lexus wanted just over $1000.
Old 08-24-10, 02:38 AM
action
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

timing belt is no biggy, you can DIY it if you like to get your hands dirty. I dont think that should keep you from buying the car though...
the only thing i can think of that can push you away is the poor gas mileage on a SUV that cant do much offroading.
Old 08-24-10, 06:33 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

People,will you stop worrying about the friggin timing belt!! their good to at least 120k. Do some searches on here,many that had them done before 120k said they still looked new!
The following users liked this post:
b33j703 (03-23-17)
Old 08-24-10, 06:55 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
People,will you stop worrying about the friggin timing belt!! their good to at least 120k. Do some searches on here,many that had them done before 120k said they still looked new!
x2, the belts come out in great condition. So, don't lose your sleep over it.
The following users liked this post:
b33j703 (03-23-17)

Quick Reply: '04 RX330 reliability, persuade or stay away?