RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rack and Pinion Unit Leaking Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 02:06 PM
chamaj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad your are happy with your Lexus. I thought I would be too.
But frankly, after 50 years of driving cars, I've never had a power steering leak that I can remember. And certainly not at @ 45K miles. Add this to the repeated problems with tire pressure sensors (erroneous alerts and 1 replaced (dealer quoted $220, tire dealer did it for $90) which I've had, I can only say I'm not so satisfied.

The fact that that the rack and pinion leak is a topic on this forum should lead Lexus to reevaluate the design.
Old 02-11-13, 09:25 PM
txt
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chamaj
My 2008 RX350 was just diagnosed yesterday with a r & p boot leak on the right side. 5 1/2 years old car, 47.5K miles. No excuse from the Lexus service writer. $1800 to replace r & p, with alignment.
That's premature for the 2008 model w/ 45 K miles to leak at the r & p.
Maybe an independent shop can fix it for less than $1800, using rebuilt Toyota parts.

For comparison:
My previous Toyota Sienna had r & p leak at 11 years and 90 K miles; $700 repair using rebuilt Toyota parts.
My current 1999 Honda Accord w/ 100 K miles and the r & p has not leaked yet (luck ?? ).
Old 02-14-13, 04:52 AM
veedubyer
Driver School Candidate

Mine went in for a timing belt and came out with a quote for a new rack, as well as a new radiator (second time I have replaced it) and an AF Sensor, and a whole bunch of other "you should get this done" add ons.

I went to school for auto repair and do most of my repairs myself. I CANNOT BELIEVE that I spent this much money on a lexus and with 100k on it it needs $4k worth of repairs. Junk.

My last RX300 tranny crapped out at 115k. I think I am going to buy a ford next.
Old 02-19-13, 03:54 PM
jamieZ
Rookie

First of all, don't take your lexus to a Lexus dealer. They are going to stoke you hard because they think you have lots of cash and you're as dumb as a 2 by 4. get a second opinon. Racks on many different vehicles have wet spots. Big deal. Just check the level once in a while and add if needed. Lexus is Number 1 in customer satisfaction. Somebody, somewhere has got to say something good about them. Find a good mechanic who doesn't charge shop rates and who will be honest instead of trying to upsell you something you probably don't really need to buy. jamie
Old 02-11-14, 06:57 AM
asteering
Driver School Candidate

They have here the steering rack and pinion unit you need for $115 with free shipping and lifetime warranty. Just get someone to replace it for you or do it yourself if you are experienced, they even have tutorials on how to do it yourslef step by step, how to remove it and how to replace it.

http://www.steeringrackandpinion.com...ck-and-pinion/
Old 02-11-14, 08:52 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by veedubyer
Mine went in for a timing belt and came out with a quote for a new rack, as well as a new radiator (second time I have replaced it) and an AF Sensor, and a whole bunch of other "you should get this done" add ons.

I went to school for auto repair and do most of my repairs myself. I CANNOT BELIEVE that I spent this much money on a lexus and with 100k on it it needs $4k worth of repairs. Junk.

My last RX300 tranny crapped out at 115k. I think I am going to buy a ford next.
Yes $4k in repairs but where? Lexus dealer? Probably. Stop going to the dealer if that is where you are taking your vehicle. The problem with the dealer is they charge minimum amount of time for something that may actually take half that to complete. Then they charge you $90-120/hr and mark up on parts. You didnt lear this in auto repair school? You are getting taken to the bank. Buy the parts yourself and do it or take it to a shop you can trust.
Old 02-11-14, 09:06 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It bears repeating; the time to find a reliable independent is 'before' you need one.
Old 02-11-14, 12:47 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=veedubyer;7764860]Mine went in for a timing belt and came out with a quote for a new rack, as well as a new radiator (second time I have replaced it) and an AF Sensor, and a whole bunch of other "you should get this done" add ons.

My last RX300 tranny crapped out at 115k. I think I am going to buy a ford next.[/QUOTE]

Haha, you think you`v got problems now?
Old 04-20-14, 11:08 AM
fulflaps
Driver School Candidate

Default Rack and pinion leak

Originally Posted by DaveJ
I had our RX330 in at Toyota for its 95K oil change and the dealer told me the steering rack and pinion unit was leaking oil and will eventually be a dangerous situation. They showed me the leak, which was a wet boot.

This dealership told me that the entire unit had to be replaced either with a new or refurbished unit. They could not repair it. For the refurb unit, it would cost about $1400 including labor.

Has anyone had this happen to your RX? If so, what did you do about it? I'm very disappointed that this non-routine maintenance item failed with such a high repair cost. I know at nearly 100K miles anything can happen, but it still hurts. I wonder if there was ever a recall or TSB on the rack and pinion unit.

Because it's also time for a timing belt, water pump, and by the end of this year, new tires, I'm starting to think maybe trade-in is the best option.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I too have a small leak which is probably a worn seal.
You can purchase a re manufactured unit for around $300.00 and about 3 hrs labor plus re alignment.
I have already invested in timing belt along with planetary belts,plugs etc and still looks and runs great.
With no car payments it might be worth it to do the repair.
I have 150,000 and still going strong.
Old 05-07-14, 01:59 PM
SCmaverick
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacement

I am pretty handy and would like to try this myself. The repair shop wants $970 plus tax. I found the part online. Does anyone have videos, diagrams or instructions on how to do this. Obviously I can get it aligned once I have it installed. Just trying to think outside the box of 1K. I have the AWD V6 2004 RX330 with 89K. Thanks
Old 05-20-17, 12:02 PM
numbafree
Pole Position

mine is leaking as well. 181k. 05 rx330. I noticed a couple of weeks ago, at start up it was really loud. At first I thought it was something to do with the accessory belt (it was a little loose before), but today, when I went to the farmers market it was obvious it was the PSF and the PS (kind of a loud hum). It was below the low mark.
Old 05-20-17, 10:30 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by numbafree
mine is leaking as well. 181k. 05 rx330. I noticed a couple of weeks ago, at start up it was really loud. At first I thought it was something to do with the accessory belt (it was a little loose before), but today, when I went to the farmers market it was obvious it was the PSF and the PS (kind of a loud hum). It was below the low mark.
Mine had leak at the vane pump. Replaced that then the rack went; leaked from torn boot on passenger side. Hopefully yours is just the vane pump, may account for the noises you're hearing-plus its on the belt drive-lower left corner-could be linked to your belt being loose. Much easier repair and around 350$ for a new one. Take a closer look at yours by removing your passenger front tire. Rack and inner tie rods job? $$$$
Old 05-21-17, 02:33 PM
numbafree
Pole Position

It leaks both sides, when turned either way, all the way. doesn't leak (or not dripping to the cement leak) otherwise. It does make a sound all the way turned either way, not a good humming sound.

I will take the wheels off and take a look. Wierd, it just happened. didn't hit a skunk and from having sport cars I avoid pot holes. not sure what triggered this leak.

I am pretty handy, esp for gal. I work on all my car and motorcycles, and plan to take a class so can work on engines. But fluids, sensors, brakes n rotors and most basic electrical stuff I can do.

for 4 hours labor, I am curious what it entails. I have a great indy mechanic, he's a certified toyota mechanic gone rogue.
Old 05-21-17, 02:51 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Just remove passenger front wheel and plastic wheel well material to inspect pump. Rack and pinion can be viewed from under car pretty easily. At your mileage and symptoms I'm thinking it's the vane pump, but could be either, or both like mine.
Old 06-02-17, 07:46 AM
jmu2004
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Be wary of Lexus dealers telling you that you need ANY service. When I had my dash replaced in 2015, I was told that my rack and pinion was leaking, and that my cams were leaking.

I immediately got the car up on a lift, and noted that the cam leak was nothing....a bit of residue from when the timing belt was replaced.

I then took a look at the rack and pinion leak. There was something on the boot, but I haven't lost any fluid in the 2 years and 35k since. Just to be safe, I added a little AT-205 to my power steering reservoir.

Long story short, the dealer told me I needed around $4k worth of recommended work, which was a total crock. My experience was another reminder of why I learned how maintain my own vehicles. I loathe dealer maintenance departments.