RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Power liftgate problems

Old 06-25-10, 01:50 PM
dkpnkc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Power liftgate problems

My mother-in-law mentioned to me last night that she's having a problem with her out of warranty '07 RX350 when trying to open the power liftgate. My poor old '01 RX doesn't have that fancy option so I'm not familar with what to look at.

I haven't looked at it myself but here's what I know:

The problem has been going on for about a year. The lliftgate goes up about 2 inches, stops, & goes back down. Over the year it's gotten worse to the point now where it rarely works (but it will open all the way once in a while). Most of the time now she manually opens it. The closing operation works fine.

Does the power liftgate have any history of motor issues (and is replacing a DYI)? Not sure where to start investigating.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-26-10, 12:02 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dkpnkc
My mother-in-law mentioned to me last night that she's having a problem with her out of warranty '07 RX350 when trying to open the power liftgate. My poor old '01 RX doesn't have that fancy option so I'm not familar with what to look at.

I haven't looked at it myself but here's what I know:

The problem has been going on for about a year. The lliftgate goes up about 2 inches, stops, & goes back down. Over the year it's gotten worse to the point now where it rarely works (but it will open all the way once in a while). Most of the time now she manually opens it. The closing operation works fine.

Does the power liftgate have any history of motor issues (and is replacing a DYI)? Not sure where to start investigating.

Thanks in advance.
The liftgate has a 'sensor' to detect any resistance. It then ceases to rise and goes back down. I don't know how the sensor works in the Lexus, but in a BMW the window sensor works through 'sensing' (measuring) the amps. (power) used by the motor. If the amps rise, it means the motor is making a greater effort because of some resistance, and the motor stops lifting. The system is very sensitive, because it is meant to prevent any accident (hand or head contact) immediately.
Since the hatch closes fine, I would therefore assume that something is impeding the smooth rise of the hatch. Possibly lubrication of the hinges or adjustment/replacement of the gas struts would solve the problem. (Lubrication to ease the effort of the motor; the struts to maintain original apparent 'weight' of the door.) Alternatively, maybe the 'sensor' could/should be adjusted to be less sensitive?
Good luck - and plse. let us know....
Old 06-26-10, 06:44 AM
cmontel727
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem on my wife's 2005. I greased the hatch struts with silcone grease(same grease used for spark plug wires), where the stainless steel tube comes out. I also did the weatherstriping as well. Solved the problem.

Hopes this helps
The following users liked this post:
cgolf4 (01-10-20)
Old 06-26-10, 09:13 AM
dkpnkc
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try to get over and look at it in the next few days - I'll take some silicone and try that first. Just glad to hear that it may not be the motor.

I'll post the results. Thanks!
Old 06-30-10, 04:38 PM
dkpnkc
Rookie

Just to close this one out...

Went over to her house tonight & first duplicated the problem - the power liftgate would barely go up an inch before stopping & going back down. Then I put silicone on both struts and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-01-10, 09:21 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Silicone lubricant? On the strut-stays?

I might just do that for maintenance purposes, but will use lithium grease instead.
Old 07-01-10, 02:52 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

While I might use white lithium grease spray on door hinges and such, I would not use that on the hood and hatch struts, IMHO. The silicone spray will help keep the gaskets from deteriorating and I have seen the white lithium grease dry out in the heat down here in FL.
Old 07-01-10, 03:51 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Silicone it is.
Old 07-01-10, 04:21 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I also use the 3M silicone spray on the window track trim. Spray into a rag and use that to wipe the trim pieces as well as the struts with an extra quick spray on the strut gasket where the piston enters the cartridge. A few manual close and open motions to work the silicone in a bit and you are ready to go.

Quick note that the dealer found it necessary to replace mine which hold up the hood on my RX330 while it was still under warranty. I had not complained, guess it was something they noticed while working on another problem I was having.
Old 11-17-13, 05:39 PM
njnester
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help-Liftgate won't close as the lock is stuck in locked position

Moved furniture in my rx350, 2009 and couldn't close the hatch. Locking mechanism then locked up with the hatch in the open position. As lock itself is in the closed position, I cannot even manually close the rear hatch. I checked fuses, pushed the glove box off/on button, removed the hatch emergency release cover and tried manually pressing the release...all to no avail. How do I fix this. None of the switches (remote, driver's switch, hatch switch) seem to have any power. Any ideas????
Initialize it?? How???
Old 07-02-14, 02:41 PM
asinblue
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by njnester
Moved furniture in my rx350, 2009 and couldn't close the hatch. Locking mechanism then locked up with the hatch in the open position. As lock itself is in the closed position, I cannot even manually close the rear hatch. I checked fuses, pushed the glove box off/on button, removed the hatch emergency release cover and tried manually pressing the release...all to no avail. How do I fix this. None of the switches (remote, driver's switch, hatch switch) seem to have any power. Any ideas????
Initialize it?? How???
So what did you end up doing?
Old 12-02-17, 09:25 AM
Kennguyen
Driver School Candidate

Default 2010 Lexus rx350

Hi can someone give me tips on 2010 Lexus rx350 trunk not open? I tried to replace gate hatch but still not working, still beeping but not clicking or open? I appreciate for ur commend , big thanks to all