RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Custom fiberglass enclosure RX330

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-11, 02:46 AM
Dxpliciton
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Custom fiberglass enclosure RX330

So i use to be an installer and like to entertain my time by building systems for friends and family. Recently turned attention to the RX330 which was leaning toward a low key, low budget, out of the way method of adding low end bass without losing space or the ability to get to the tools, and compartments under the trunk mat. Below is just a few quick photos of the process of the 10" sub enclosure that was constructed and installed along with a simple sub amp in the right side smaller compartment under the trunk mat. ***Question*** would anybody pay for these? I can rip these out for others since i notice there is no clean looking sub solution for these vehicles. Feedback please...

Fiberglass cavity and wood frame

Fleeced

Bondo'ed

Carpet matched and wrapped

The lines seem to flow

Eclipse Alum 10" Sub

I can build these for others now if anybody wants one
Im able to make about 3 shells a weekend given the time frames i have to deal with for dry times on the fiberglass. I have researched other enclosures (wood & glass) at a number of price points and i think after materials and labor that i can do $340 shipped in the continental 48 for these enclosures with either a single 8", 10" or 12" sub ring. If you have a particular spec you want the ring cut or do not wish it to be flush mount you can request this as well. Im pretty much making these as you see pictured unless you specify otherwise. If anybody is interested ill begin an enclosure for somebody after a $100 deposit is made via paypal (your safety)or wire transfer. I have plenty of feedback on ebay, g35driver, e46fanatics, my.is.net, vadriven, and several other automotive sites from my years of dealing with parts and other vehicles i have owned if you need references. I dont need to make these but i will if people are interested in having one for their RX.

Last edited by Dxpliciton; 04-25-11 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-16-11, 03:03 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's great! I need something like this lol! and an enclosure for my Air Tanks
Old 04-16-11, 04:03 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

What's the volume? It looks to be between .40 - .70 cf. but I'm only guessing.

I'd take one depending on price (and maybe another for the other side again depending on price).

How come your rear carpet looks like it's one piece with no separation? Is the top piece a valence covering some stereo bits underneath?
Old 04-16-11, 05:03 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

DX, looks great. It's amazing what some people can do with a little imagination. Installers like that are few and far between

The cargo area was a great place for the subs on my 330. Since I wanted it all hidden and no intrusion into the cargo area, my installer removed the forward tray and took advantage of all the space underneath. Here is the picture of my custom fiberglass enclosure:
Attached Thumbnails Custom fiberglass enclosure RX330-dsc00213.jpg  
Old 04-16-11, 10:43 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by veleno
What's the volume? It looks to be between .40 - .70 cf. but I'm only guessing.

I'd take one depending on price (and maybe another for the other side again depending on price).

How come your rear carpet looks like it's one piece with no separation? Is the top piece a valence covering some stereo bits underneath?
It's probably the OEM carpet you can get to sit on top of the covers Like the rubber mats.
Old 04-16-11, 01:27 PM
veleno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
It's probably the OEM carpet you can get to sit on top of the covers Like the rubber mats.
If it is then I never knew they had it in carpet, always thought it was some sort of rubber mat or liner. Thanks
Old 04-17-11, 12:35 AM
Dxpliciton
Driver School Candidate

Yes the carpet seems one piece because its like a trunk mat, exactly what people are saying is the rubber piece but only done in carpet. That tool tray area looks very nicely done, and i actually went there first but when the owner of the car wouldnt get rid of the trunk mat i knew the sounds wasnt going to travel too well through it so i was forced to the side wall. Its volumes out at just under a solid 1.0 cu. unloaded
Old 04-17-11, 07:10 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you could very easily sell some to members here since your already fitted. I owuld consider buying one
Old 04-18-11, 01:57 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

I'd rather have one in the compartment area for 2-10" but maybe that's just me. Anyone else want the same? I read a review on another forum where they put it where the tools are (same concept as in Kitlz picture) under the cover and they did not noticed any loss is bass, in fact they gained more with the cover in the closed position.

Up to you, like infinirx I'm ready to purchase today.
Old 04-18-11, 09:13 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I can see this selling quite well.

In fact Toyota went as far as contracting Bazooka to make such an enclosure for their Scion lineup... and they look like that, sitting in the corner and very OEM
Old 04-18-11, 02:41 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the idea of putting 2 10" subs and in stealth form, this way no truck space is taken away by the box. I have 2 JL 10W6V2 waiting to go in
Old 04-18-11, 03:09 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Bass was not a problem with the subs underneath. I had the carpeted mat and an all weather mat on top. I wanted it all hidden and keep the cargo space. The amps were in the front tray, Clean Sweep underneath that tray and the Soundlinq under the shifter. The only visible things were the kick panels and a little **** for the Clean Sweep by the shifter. And all I wanted to do was change the speakers

Dxpliciton, your awesome enclosure is making me reconsider adding subs to the 450h
Old 04-18-11, 04:54 PM
veleno
Lead Lap

I need an enclosure like yesterday! I'm working on my system now and have the whole rear apart. How soon can we expect this if you decide to do it?
Old 04-20-11, 12:07 AM
Dxpliciton
Driver School Candidate

I wasnt aware this was going to get such positive feedback, i cant actually rip these out as fast as you would think though because of the nature of dealing with fiberglass. I think i spent more time in dry time then actually designing and forming the box. I think quickest i can have these out is 4-5 days because of dry time. Let me get with the owner of the car and see if they will let me set a few cavities from their vehicle that way i have something to work from and if its a go ill compile my materials cost and determine a price for the work. If all is a go and people are interested at the price points then i can start taking deposits and ripping them out.
Old 04-20-11, 12:10 AM
Dxpliciton
Driver School Candidate

I also want to make everybody aware of the carpet seam that is below the sub. Because of the curvature of the enclosure i couldnt wrap the piece without a seam. The photo was taken before the spray adhesive fully dried but you can lightly brush the seam out and get it about 80-85% un-noticed. I wanted to make people aware of it if they didnt notice already.

Quick Reply: Custom fiberglass enclosure RX330