RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How do you program a new key for s 2005 RX330?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-07, 07:48 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you program a new key for s 2005 RX330?

My aunt has asked me to buy make her a new key for her car. It's an RX330, I think 2005? But I don't think it should matter.

So I've decided to buy the blade and the transponder separately to save money.

Anyways, how do you program it? I've searched and came up with several posts that kind of contradict each other.

In one thread, a moderator cross-posted into the RX300 section. I assume the programming would be different for the RX330?

Anyways, here's the one I found.

RX 330:
Here is what I do.
1) Open car w/ the remote
2) Get in and close the door
3) press accel / brake simultaneously, hold for 1/2 sec or so, then release
4) Put the master key that works in the ignition, leave it in the lock position, sec light goes out
5) steering wheel moves by itself, wait for this to finifh (though I did it with and
without wait and it made no diff).
6) press accel 5 times in a few seconds (less than 5 definately)
7) Press the brake 6x.
8) pull out key, steering wheel begins to move, wait (or not, doesnt seem to matter) for the steering wheel to stop moving.
9) Put in the new key, security light flashing
10) press the accel
11) wait forever while security light flashes (definately at least 3 minutes)
12) If irritated enough goto 12 else goto 11
13) Get annoyed, get beer from ice box, goto #1.
Old 02-06-07, 10:11 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

^^?

no one?
Old 02-07-07, 10:43 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Good question. I too would like to do this, as the dealer just quoted me $220 for a spare key! Where do you buy the key and transmitter seperately?
Old 02-07-07, 11:36 AM
joako
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know for the RX300 its something you can do yourself with the original keys, I've done it myself (these Lexus keys are very prone to break).

However when I've had it done with the RX330 they use the factory diagnostics tool, I dont think there is a way to do it without some sort of equipment.

You might want to find a locksmith, there is alot of aftermarket stuff and there should be a few with the capacity to create keys and get them programmed -- at a fraction of the price the dealer wants, I know if you want a key without the remote it should be less than $50 programmed and all from the aftermarket.
Old 02-07-07, 03:31 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by biff44
Good question. I too would like to do this, as the dealer just quoted me $220 for a spare key! Where do you buy the key and transmitter seperately?
Usually if you buy a new key from the dealership they'll program it free of charge (that is usually the case).

I'm buying a used transponder on eBay (about $30-40), and I'm buying the keyblade from Lexus (around $70). So I save some money, but I have to program the key myself.

Lexus cars you should be able to program it yourself. I just don't know the steps you need to take with the newer cars.
Old 02-07-07, 04:34 PM
streski58
Driver School Candidate

If you're looking for replacement keys, remote head keys, or replacement shells for your broken remote head key check out this website:
http://www.sparecarkeys.com.

The cost of a non remote head transponder key is $49.95 plus $15.00 to cut the key by the VIN. No charge to cut it if you supply them with the key code.

As for the programming..all of the manuals say that a new key must be programmed into the car using a programming tool.

The dealership should program the new key for around $30.00
Old 02-07-07, 05:51 PM
joako
Driver

If the car's under warranty go to the dealer "my spare key stopped working"
Old 02-07-07, 06:36 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joako
If the car's under warranty go to the dealer "my spare key stopped working"
Hmm.. lol, that is quite funny. I called the Lexus Service Department with the 800 number. I heard that if you lose all your master key, they fix it once for the lifetime of the car. I heard it from other members. They seemed confused when I told them that....
Old 04-30-07, 11:31 AM
RX-Fanatic
Driver School Candidate

Wink Need an official "Programming a RX330 key" thread

Hi there,

Sorry, I know this question has been asked before and I did do a search on this forum for "program key", but still there is no one absolute thread that answers this question.

Can this be done yourself or can it only be done at the dealership? I've read some instructions for a RX300, but members here say it doesn't work for their RX330. Is that true?

I'm looking to purchase an uncut key with the remote and transponder (the key fob with the power trunk release button if it makes any difference). I may need the dealership to cut the key for me, but can I program it myself so it will start my car and so that the fob will open my doors and everything else like the stock master key fob?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by RX-Fanatic; 04-30-07 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-30-07, 12:41 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts
Default Sports Package

Originally Posted by RX-Fanatic
Hi there,

Sorry, I know this question has been asked before and I did do a search on this forum for "program key", but still there is no one absolute thread that answers this question.

Can this be done yourself or can it only be done at the dealership? I've read some instructions for a RX300, but members here say it doesn't work for their RX330. Is that true?

I'm looking to purchase an uncut key with the remote and transponder (the key fob with the power trunk release button if it makes any difference). I may need the dealership to cut the key for me, but can I program it myself so it will start my car and so that the fob will open my doors and everything else like the stock master key fob?

Thanks in advance...
Can you tell me what's in a sport package?
Old 04-30-07, 01:20 PM
RX-Fanatic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Can you tell me what's in a sport package?
Maybe it's called something else in the states, as I'm in Canada, but here the "Sport" package includes:
- In Dash 6 Disc CD Changer
- Power Back Door
- Power Tilt Moonroof
- Power Sliding Moonroof
- Moonroof Sunshade
- Premium Illuminated Entry System
- Adaptive Front Lighting System
- HID Headlamps
- Auto Leveling Headlamp System
- Front Air Suspension
- Rear Air Suspension
- P235/55R18 All Season Tires
- Squential Multi-Mode Shifter
- 18" Aluminum Alloy Wheels
- Rain Sensing Wipers

Hope that answers your question...
Old 04-30-07, 01:43 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Sure does. I have some of what you mentioned above...not many but some. So I wonder what options were added to my car...I have the Power Tailgate, Moonroof....as far as I can tell.
Old 04-30-07, 11:11 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i think most of the stuff in the sport package except for a few things are avaiable in other packages or as stand alone options
Old 04-30-07, 11:49 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

I, too, am looking to buy another master key for my RX330. I can get a "blank" key with the electronics from eBay, but it will need to be cut and programmed.

I have heard that all I would have to do is to call around to locksmiths that specialize in automotive work. Some of them may have the programming application for the keys.

I am yet to buy the key or to call locksmiths. Has anyone tried this?
Old 05-01-07, 03:54 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The key has 2 different functions.

1) a wireless link to open the doors, etc
2) a very short range tranciever to let you start the car.

I looked up the FCC information on the key fob. The part for #2 is your basic 32 KHz RFID chip. I am a little busy now, but I will go out to the car and test it to see what the exact code is. It might be possible to program a $1 RFID chip to do the job. It all depends on if they "roll" the code for encryption or not!

Quick Reply: How do you program a new key for s 2005 RX330?