RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Air filter - broken bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 09:41 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Seriously, get a bolt extractor and replace the bolt. Now it will be tight in there. Just get some clamps and be done with it.

Take pics and post.

As long as the box is sealed and no air in going into the box, you're good.
Old 03-25-10, 12:18 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that the only dealer in OK?
I'd bet my dealer here would fix it just to keep us coming back. We have 2 dealers about the same distance from us & one about 25 miles further away so that might be the reason they do such great work for us.
Old 03-25-10, 02:20 PM
mandyfig

Shame on that dealer that did not address your issue. Unbelievable! Name the dealer!
Old 03-25-10, 02:24 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by oklanny
Little did I know, the bolts are supposed to be "loosened" but they broke in half when I tried to do this on my 2007 RX 350. Therefore, after I put the new air filter in the case does not close all the way.

Has anybody done this before? Will Lexus charge an arm and a leg to secure the case tightly?
I have a few questions:

You have a 2007, your car is still under full warranty to 2011 or 50K. Are you outside warranty?

Who serviced your air filter prior to you discovery of a broken bolt? Was it the same dealer you are talking about? If you answered yes, then why did you not get the Service Manager and complain?

Tell us more, nothing is adding up.
Old 03-25-10, 03:02 PM
oklanny
Driver School Candidate

I just bought this 2007 RX 350 with 38k miles, but not from a dealer. It has a little over 1 month on the warranty.

I don't know who serviced it before, but replacing the air filter, cabin filter, oil, etc. are the first things I did after the purchase. I am the one who broke the bolts on the air filter cover.

Eskridge Lexus in Oklahoma City is where I take my cars; they claimed that the bolts and other metal parts are not sold separately. Trust me, I wasn't happy that they wouldn't fix it free of charge....but it is something that I caused.
Old 03-25-10, 03:59 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You might want to take the car to a private shop and see if they can extract that broken bolt for you. I just bet they can and will do it for a reasonable price.
Old 03-25-10, 05:00 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It'll cost between $3 - $19 to buy one screw extractor bit or set of screw extractor(s) at Lowe's. Attach to your power drill and go! Hopefully, you've kept the broken bolt for sizing the replacement bolts.
Old 03-26-10, 08:50 AM
mandyfig

It should be a 10 mm (socket) bolt.
Old 03-26-10, 01:15 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want to make sure this never happens again use a "Grade 8 Bolt". They will have six slash marks on the head of the bolt.
Old 03-26-10, 03:28 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oklanny, if your car is still under warranty, call Lexus customer service ( i mean the corporate office and not your local dealer ) tell them about your bad experience at the "x" lexus dealership and since your car is still under warranty, you would like Lexus coporate to be your mouth and make the dealer take care of the issue. Lexus Corporate will do it for you and you will get a call from the dealer's customer satisfaction manager(that is usually a lady that all the sales and tech is scare of cos she can get them in so much trouble ) Believe me it works, I was driving on freeway a debris punctured my AC radiator and AC stop working after all the coolant had leaked out. I took my RX in to the dealership, they want $1500 for the repair but willing to do 20% discount. I called the Lexus Corporate Office and complain about how poor the dealership was and what's the point of having warranty if it can't be use. Lexus Corporate took 3 days but call me and let me know they will eat the $1500 repair cost and my car get taken care of and a new 2010 RX to drive while mine is in the shop.
Old 03-26-10, 05:14 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mowmow
oklanny, if your car is still under warranty, call Lexus customer service ( i mean the corporate office and not your local dealer ) tell them about your bad experience at the "x" lexus dealership and since your car is still under warranty, you would like Lexus coporate to be your mouth and make the dealer take care of the issue. Lexus Corporate will do it for you and you will get a call from the dealer's customer satisfaction manager(that is usually a lady that all the sales and tech is scare of cos she can get them in so much trouble ) Believe me it works, I was driving on freeway a debris punctured my AC radiator and AC stop working after all the coolant had leaked out. I took my RX in to the dealership, they want $1500 for the repair but willing to do 20% discount. I called the Lexus Corporate Office and complain about how poor the dealership was and what's the point of having warranty if it can't be use. Lexus Corporate took 3 days but call me and let me know they will eat the $1500 repair cost and my car get taken care of and a new 2010 RX to drive while mine is in the shop.
I would expect some leeway over a $5.00 bolt but I am sorry, what you had happen has nothing to do with a warranty. You had an accident, Lexus was in no way responsible for the a/c part failing. They had no reason to cover your repair and am surprised you got it no charge. Hell I would have been happy with the 20% off.
Old 03-26-10, 08:11 PM
RMB350
Driver

My rear bolt is broken. Been driving that way for a while and everything seems to be okay. Guess I'll fix it when the weather gets a little better..
Old 04-10-12, 07:51 PM
rav6370
Driver School Candidate

Default Bolts will not screw in anymore

Originally Posted by oklanny
Little did I know, the bolts are supposed to be "loosened" but they broke in half when I tried to do this on my 2007 RX 350. Therefore, after I put the new air filter in the case does not close all the way.

Has anybody done this before? Will Lexus charge an arm and a leg to secure the case tightly?
So i just found your post, I was cleaning my k&n air filter and went to put it back in and the bolts will not screw in. No replacement part.

Any thought on what to do ? Where you able to find aftermarket bolts? Mine does not look broken, actually looks like a bolt with a metal spacer that then screws into the bottom part of the casing.

Any help is appreciated
Old 04-10-12, 10:39 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On your 10mm socket. Stuff a small piece of paper inside. So that 1/2 of the socket is filled. Then try to tighten the bolt.

The socket is not putting enough pressure on the bolt to get it started.

Last edited by MC5Wes; 04-11-12 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-10-12, 11:26 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
On your 10 mm socket. Stuff a small piece of paper inside. So that 1/2 of the socket is filled. Then try to tighten the bolt.

The socket is not putting enough pressure on the bolt to get it started.
Or, give a 10mm nut driver a try if you have one.

Quick Reply: Air filter - broken bolts