RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Sudden Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 12:36 PM
bozilla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden Acceleration

Just last night a TV news network was able to duplicate the sudden acceleration problem that toyota said is caused by floor mats/gas pedal ect. What is really interesting that no fault code was locked in the vehicles computer. According to the expert the problem is an electronic design flaw. Remember Toyota's outside expert was not able to duplicate the sudden acceleration.

I really do not understand why the recall does not include all Lexus vehicles because I've found, especially in my old RX 300, that Highlander parts were exact replacement. I would also add that Lexus never acknowledged the transmission design flaw in the RX 300, and only after a class action lawsuit acknowledged the slug problem in the 3.0 engine.
Old 02-23-10, 12:48 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bozilla
Just last night a TV news network was able to duplicate the sudden acceleration problem that toyota said is caused by floor mats/gas pedal ect. What is really interesting that no fault code was locked in the vehicles computer. According to the expert the problem is an electronic design flaw. Remember Toyota's outside expert was not able to duplicate the sudden acceleration.

I really do not understand why the recall does not include all Lexus vehicles because I've found, especially in my old RX 300, that Highlander parts were exact replacement. I would also add that Lexus never acknowledged the transmission design flaw in the RX 300, and only after a class action lawsuit acknowledged the slug problem in the 3.0 engine.

I agree,they better come off their high horse. Or their wont be any horse for them to be on at all.
Old 02-23-10, 05:10 PM
HimSelf
Rookie

I wonder if we can do anything about the transmission problem on the RX

If we can make a big voice this could be more of a PR problem for Toyota and you never know.
Old 02-23-10, 05:17 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do believe the RX and ES should be checked out since those 2 are close to Camry cars. The old ES we had did surge at times but it also lost RPMS at times. The dealer couldn't fix it so I got rid of it.
Something is definitely wrong.
Old 02-23-10, 05:25 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Right now the jury is still out on whether this was a legitimate demonstration or a setup a la Audi/CBS News and GM/NBC News. According to Autoblog's analysis, the wiring method used in that demonstration may not be a realistic test:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/23/a...oyota-drivers/

Analysis: ABC News report shouldn't panic Toyota drivers
by Sam Abuelsamid (RSS feed) on Feb 23rd 2010 at 7:28PM Featured

You may have noticed that there have been a large number of reports recently about Toyota and the continuing series of recalls it has announced in recent weeks. Here at Autoblog we try to be fair and tell the story as best we can without being inflamattory. Unfortunately, the same can not be said of all media outlets. ABC News, and reporter Brian Ross in particular, have been particularly vigorous in pursuit of a story – not the story.

Let's make one thing clear. Autoblog is not a cheerleading section for Toyota, or for trial lawyers, TV presenters or politicians with nothing better to do. We'd like to present the information to our readers without unnecessarily frightening anyone.

We also want to avoid the sort of debacle that happened with CBS and the Audi 5000 in the '80s and NBC with the General Motors side-saddle gas tanks in the '90s. In each of those cases, tests were setup to "simulate" the purported problem, but the tests did not exactly simulate real world conditions and showed unrealistic scenarios.

A recent report from Ross on ABC News featured an "automotive expert" named David W. Gilbert from Southern Illinois University attempting to demonstrate an electronic glitch in a Toyota Avalon. [...]
Also it came out in congressional testimony today, that the engineering instructor who came up with this test is being paid by lawyers suing Toyota, and that he initially discussed the test to Toyota but then changed it for the news demonstration.

It remains to be seen whether this so-called electronic gremlin is at fault, but IMO we need actual reputable, impartial expert analysis and that's not what we're getting enough of at this point.
Old 02-23-10, 06:21 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys heard Rhonda Smith testify in Capital Hill today. Her Lexus ES350 had the sudden accelaration problem. So, is this problem affecting the RX? or perhaps the whole line of Lexus cars. Damn! I am pissed off.
Old 02-23-10, 07:59 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The original RX 300 is a totally different animal from the newer RXs. Lexus replaced my transmission free within the long engine warranty. The problem crept up about 6000 miles before it expired and after replacing numerous other items concluded it was the transmission.
The 2006 RXH is another matter. I've completed about the brakes skipping over bumps and not stopping for years. The dealer actually sent mechanics with the car to test it over the potholes. But they couldn't fix that.
The weird acceleration (car wasn't warmed up) when braking gently they were able to fix.
All the news reports have me rattled but in truth they have been great to me and I'll assume when they finally work out the issues they'll fix it. I have an IS 250 on the recall list too.
Old 02-24-10, 04:50 PM
bandi
Driver School Candidate

Default Kill Switch?

Apparently Toyota did duplicate the problem late last night. I do believe that it is an electrical problem. Better install a kill switch!
Old 02-24-10, 05:10 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After thinking about it more, both my current GS cars had sudden acceleration when the temp got down into the 30's several weeks ago. I was in a hurry and didn't let it warm up as I usually do. The car took off something fierce. But it wasn't so fierce I couldn't stop the car. I jammed the brakes and it stopped. Same thing happened to wifey.
Lexus does need to admit something is amiss and fix it.
Old 02-24-10, 05:35 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about he electronic drive-by-wire throttle and software/computer misinterpretation of what the car is doing?
Old 02-24-10, 05:38 PM
Dave_S.
Rookie

I just saw that Toyota has come up with a software upgrade/recall for my 2006 Tacoma pick up. There are all kinds of reports of uncommanded acceleration on Tacoma's but they are not part of a recall yet. The upgrade will shut the motor down to idle if the brakes and accelerator are commanded at the same time. This is a safety feature in the ECU of many other brands of vehicles.
So, they haven't figured out what's causing the uncommanded acceleration, but at least they are looking to reduce the damages it can cause.
Hopefully they'll get it figured out pretty soon because I also have an 07 RX350.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/02...ta-tacoma.html

Last edited by Dave_S.; 02-24-10 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-24-10, 10:38 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Lets hear form Owners of RXs which have experienced Unintended Acceleration.

Salim
Old 02-24-10, 10:47 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ice350
After thinking about it more, both my current GS cars had sudden acceleration when the temp got down into the 30's several weeks ago. I was in a hurry and didn't let it warm up as I usually do. The car took off something fierce. But it wasn't so fierce I couldn't stop the car. I jammed the brakes and it stopped. Same thing happened to wifey.
Lexus does need to admit something is amiss and fix it.
I noticed my F has issues when's cold. I've stepped on the gas in a hurry and it holds on to first and then launches into 2nd for the first second or two. I now let it warm up fully. Launching, especially in the F, is no joke.
Old 02-25-10, 03:51 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Started yesterday: Looks like Avalons are getting the reflash to shut down the acceleration if brake and gas pedals are simultaneously pressed:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=332833
Old 02-25-10, 05:44 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by malujerry
I've stepped on the gas in a hurry and it holds on to first and then launches into 2nd for the first second or two. I now let it warm up fully. .
^^ Normal..

When the temperature of the ATF or engine coolant is low,
shifts will be performed based on the shift points for low fluid temperature.

Quick Reply: Sudden Acceleration