RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Airbag deployment

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 02:18 PM
Huskermom1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag deployment

I'm new to the forum and I'm computer illiterate. It is my mother that owns the 2008 RX350 and I have a couple of questions:

1. Has there been any issues with airbag deployment with this vehicle? Specifically, non-deployment issues.

2. Who would you suggest I contact (other than a lawyer) to learn more about airbag deployment under specific conditions? Again, specifically, non-deployment.

Here's the quick version of story: My mother was involved in a multi-car accident on the interstate. She was going a speed of >20mph--which is an underestimation--by the time of impact. Her bags did NOT deploy! She sustained substantial injuries. The "Lexus chat" ended our conversation--even tho there was no mention of the accident.

I, basically, want to know is there ANY reason why the bags would NOT deploy because they were meant to react that way.
Old 03-08-10, 02:39 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

it would help if you have a picture of the severity of the crash, because it all depends on if the sensors were activated.
Old 03-08-10, 02:49 PM
968racer
Driver

I have not personal heard of any issues with air bag deployment but am somewhat new here as well. ~ a year. My understanding of what event takes place that causes the airbags deploy is not impact, bet deceleration. So was the impact a sudden deceleration or was it another type of accident (like non direct initial hit) that caused the substantial injuries?
Old 03-08-10, 03:14 PM
Huskermom1
Driver School Candidate

My mother's recollection of the accident of vague. Based on the car's "injuries," it looks like an impact from behind that shattered the window, a hit in the front, and the frame looks a little bent on the side when comparing it to the other side.

Here is what I know: There was a BMW in front of mom and a Hummer behind. (Man, we have GREAT cars in Houston!) A car in front of her (don't know if it's the BMW or not) got hit from the side by a truck that fled the scene. That car's tire flew into the air above the green exit signs, may have hit my mom's car or the BMW, and my mom reacted by slowing down (to what speed, IDK)

Here is where it's fuzzy and the sequence of events may be different: The tire may have hit the car infront of her. We know that the Hummer did hit her from behind. It may have pushed her into the BMW or she hit the BMW as the tire flew in the air causing the Hummer to hit her.

Nonetheless, she has a frontal impact and a rear impact at, what I am assuming, a speed close to 30mph-given her initial reaction. No airbags. None. Nada. Zilch.
Old 03-08-10, 03:22 PM
ecrane
Rookie

I haven't read the following link, just skimmed it. I'd search Google using the terms "how air bags deploy" there's lot's of hits. May your mother have a speedy recovery..

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/dec2001/collision.htm
Old 03-08-10, 03:35 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

well there arent any sensors in the rear of the car so that when the hummer hit your mom, the airbags shouldnt have deployed. Now depending on how quickly she hit the person in front (which im guessing isnt that strong since it was just the momentum from the hummer), then i dont think there is anything wrong with the car. Hope your mom is better.