RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Any high mileage RX without transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-14, 01:42 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by PghLex
She seems pleased so far....

(But she did not like the -10 degree weather last week and gave me a tire light. I sweet talked her the next day when it got back up to 20 degrees and she turned it off. At least she listens. HA)
Yea, why I no longer live in PA full-time and only go to visit the cabin during the holidays. We used to store our nice rides in the mines out your way and drive our beaters this time of year.
Old 01-13-14, 04:13 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

After the mechanic did the drain and refill, I drove it around town for 20 minutes and I checked the fluid level after. Looks redish and has no burnt smell to it. Anyway, $66 for 20K miles (usually means 2 years of driveing for my wife) maybe a overkill, but to me it is cheap insurance and a peace of mind.

lexsc4
Old 01-13-14, 04:37 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PghLex

Now that I am thinking about it, is there the possibility that a software update may be available for the vehicle's transmission? I would think that only the dealer could do something like that. Does anyone have any experience or know that answer?
I dont think there's one for 350 yet....
Old 01-14-14, 02:32 AM
spacecraft
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thomas1
i just changed the fluid on my RX400h and the fluid was quite contaminated. Took several changes to get the fluid clean again...
Folks, the above is the only comment which I found related to the CVT transmission of the 400.
I also searched the hybrid section, but couldn't find anything.
Hopefully it means that it doesn't have any problems...
...but just in case, is there anyone who knows more, or can point me in the right direction?
My 2008 only has 50k miles or so, and is smooth as silk, but I wouldn't mind replacing the oil or something, if that ensures a better longevity...
Old 01-28-14, 03:00 PM
john62395
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2009 350 with 112k on it. I have been doing regular oil changes and have never caught it skipping a beat yet.
Old 01-30-14, 06:26 PM
eekin80
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter has a 2004 RX that I bought new in 03 and the transmission is "so far so good". No issues at 110,000. Due for a fluid change and will know more then.
Old 01-30-14, 06:30 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be honest, and I have thought this for a while. I think this was a bit of a scam. I mean maybe a few bad transmissions as every car has them but some people either worry too much, or make issues that work for other car companies. I had issues but they were really due to bad work done by the last owner. Gasket stuff. This page made for so much worry and doubt I get there are a lot of people that simply did not buy an RX seeing this page.

Just my thoughts. Not trying to take away from real issues people have.
Old 01-31-14, 09:27 AM
mpatton
Rookie

Originally Posted by dsandife
2004 RX330 with 125,000 miles. Had transmission fluid changed once, at 110k. No problems other than the original jerking when shifting, which took about a dozen trips to the dealer to finally get them to load the proper program, fixing the problem.
so is that what's going on with mine? At very random and totally intermittent times my RX will jerk shifting into 2nd. It drives me effing bananas!!!

can toyota fix this? I absolutely HATE the lexus dealer here...

thx
Old 01-31-14, 12:54 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mpatton
so is that what's going on with mine? At very random and totally intermittent times my RX will jerk shifting into 2nd. It drives me effing bananas!!!

can toyota fix this? I absolutely HATE the lexus dealer here...

thx
Have you owned since new? Did you ever have the transmission ECU recalibrated?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...nsmission.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TC005-03.pdf (127.2 KB, 380 views)
Old 01-31-14, 07:56 PM
mpatton
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Have you owned since new? Did you ever have the transmission ECU recalibrated?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...nsmission.html
I have not. I just bought it 3 months ago and it drives me bonkers.

edit: is this something that toyota can do if I take this TSB down there? Or will they have it already? guesstimates on costs?

thx

Last edited by mpatton; 01-31-14 at 07:58 PM. Reason: more questions
Old 01-31-14, 08:35 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

I have not. I just bought it 3 months ago and it drives me bonkers.

edit: is this something that toyota can do if I take this TSB down there? Or will they have it already? guesstimates on costs?

thx
Believe you would be best served by going to a Lexus dealership to first see if this work has been done previous on your vehicle and if not what they would charge to perform the service. For all you know it may have already been done to your RX and you have a different problem on your hands.
Old 02-01-14, 11:44 AM
mpatton
Rookie

Believe you would be best served by going to a Lexus dealership to first see if this work has been done previous on your vehicle and if not what they would charge to perform the service. For all you know it may have already been done to your RX and you have a different problem on your hands.
It doesn't show up in the service history from lexusdrivers. Considering the brake switch recall was
never done on this car, I'm gonna guess it has never been done.

For my own reasons, I sincerely dislike the lexus dealership here and have taken this car to the toyota dealer down the street only (in the short time I've owned it).

I will say that the "intermittent" shifting is most felt when I'm driving like a granny...
Old 02-01-14, 12:56 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

It doesn't show up in the service history from lexusdrivers. Considering the brake switch recall was
never done on this car, I'm gonna guess it has never been done.
It does not show for me either though I know it was done. Perhaps it is a line item which does not show on a previous service. Again, a reason to at least talk to the local Lexus dealership if only to get a better printout of the work performed.

The transmission issue will cost you 1-2 hours labor. As it is not a recall item and you are long out of warranty it would come out of your pocket. Most who complained of the problem report it as not knowing which gear to select in some situations such as a quick on/off of the gas pedal which might occur in stop-and-go traffic. Another was the lag between the time the gas pedal was fully depressed and the vehicle actually reacting in cases where you need immediate speed when trying to merge into traffic on a highway. Some reported some relief by disconnecting the battery for 20+ minutes to clear out any learned behaviors but the only true relief came from reprogramming the transmission. Remember, there is no true throttle cable in this RX and instead is a drive-by-wire throttle system.

The brake switch recall along with any others such as the floor mat clips would be best to just let the Lexus dealership do if it has not been done already no matter your dislike of the folks. There would be no charge and you would likely get a loaner vehicle for the visit.
Old 02-01-14, 01:15 PM
mpatton
Rookie

It does not show for me either though I know it was done. Perhaps it is a line item which does not show on a previous service. Again, a reason to at least talk to the local Lexus dealership if only to get a better printout of the work performed.

The transmission issue will cost you 1-2 hours labor. As it is not a recall item and you are long out of warranty it would come out of your pocket. Most who complained of the problem report it as not knowing which gear to select in some situations such as a quick on/off of the gas pedal which might occur in stop-and-go traffic. Another was the lag between the time the gas pedal was fully depressed and the vehicle actually reacting in cases where you need immediate speed when trying to merge into traffic on a highway. Some reported some relief by disconnecting the battery for 20+ minutes to clear out any learned behaviors but the only true relief came from reprogramming the transmission. Remember, there is no true throttle cable in this RX and instead is a drive-by-wire throttle system.

The brake switch recall along with any others such as the floor mat clips would be best to just let the Lexus dealership do if it has not been done already no matter your dislike of the folks. There would be no charge and you would likely get a loaner vehicle for the visit.
Ok, thanks for the info. I have had the brake light switch done at no charge - and that was a frustrating experience with the dealership. It took 3 different trips. Twice they didn't have the part (after telling me twice they ordered it and scheduled me a time to arrive for the work), the 3rd time, they finally did the work, but let my car sit outside in front of me telling me it wasn't done yet and that they were putting gas in it...all while I'm looking at my car.

Anyway, I appreciate the info, I don't mind paying the labor on the reprogramming if it will fix the issue.
Old 02-01-14, 03:43 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Anyway, I appreciate the info, I don't mind paying the labor on the reprogramming if it will fix the issue.
It makes it better. Will not say it completely solves the problem.

Quick Reply: Any high mileage RX without transmission problem?