RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

radiator leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-11, 05:21 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

eBay Motors has new Koto radiators for the 2004 RX330 for about $250.
Old 05-18-11, 08:36 PM
JamesHuang
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rainbird
eBay Motors has new Koto radiators for the 2004 RX330 for about $250.
Anyone have any good or bad experience with these Koto radiators?

I think all of them come with at least 1 year / 12,000 mile warranty but could be wrong...
Old 09-13-11, 01:46 PM
sail7seas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge leak / crack & gauge registered C

According to my Mechanic (not Lexus) the TCY radiators do not have proper mounts.
The TCY towing package radiator is all aluminum (not plastic),
the TCY supposed OEM had the plastic tanks but again mechanic said he did not want to mickey mouse the mounts, and will buy one from LEXUS who do not have one in stock.

I am stunned that a high end brand LEXUS (Canadian built) would use plastic tanks on the radiator, my memory back to cars in 1990 had always had problems with plastic tanks. My Mechanic said I was lucky to get 102k miles out of it, and it is a common problem, and all the new cars have this planned obsolescence.

Using the 'Search' there are plenty of LEXUS with leaky plastic tanks on their radiators, dealer said only 3 he knew of. LMAO.
On a separate issue the 'check engine' light went on, and the temperature gauge went to C (not H), and ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL1foQKD3OI

Even my 1990 T-bird had a low coolant light, and surprised this expensive LEXUS does not.

The engine did cut off, and prevented blowing the head gasket.

Pictures taken while trying to fill up radiator with water.
Attached Thumbnails radiator leak-1157.jpg   radiator leak-1163.jpg   radiator leak-1164.jpg  

Last edited by sail7seas; 09-13-11 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-13-11, 02:09 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So the towing package radiator doesn't self destruct? That parrot is the funniest thing I have seen all day and I have stolen the link, WTF indeed!
Old 09-13-11, 02:48 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woweee! Crazy....

So the only solution is to get one from Lexus and it has the be the toe package version?
Old 09-13-11, 03:14 PM
sail7seas
Driver School Candidate

They were both made by TCY.
The OEM had plastic tanks.
and the TCY towing package radiator was all aluminum, but mechanic
said the mounting at the top required extra parts, or custom install.
Old 09-13-11, 03:27 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's good to know. Lot of Texas cars came with the tow package because of the heat here. HD Radiator, HD trans cooler, HD alternator.
Old 09-13-11, 03:36 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver
That's good to know. Lot of Texas cars came with the tow package because of the heat here. HD Radiator, HD trans cooler, HD alternator.
I think most or all of those items should be available as standard without needing the tow package, IMHO. Goes a long way to the longevity of the vehicle regardless of whether you tow or not.
Old 09-16-11, 12:29 AM
febdragon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Iqraam
Same thing happened to me wit my 05 RX330, it took them two days to do it but it was done under warranty and I got a free loaner. Excellent Service.
I have the same issue with my 05 RX330. Which dealer in CA did your service?
Old 04-27-15, 09:51 AM
mal333
Driver School Candidate

Default Help. Dealer wants $6800 to pull out engine due to radiator leak

Dealer is quoting $6800 to pull out engine due to a radiator leak. They think they can resurface the rotors. If not, and need to replace, they want another $3500.
Do I have any options? What should I do?
Old 04-27-15, 11:50 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mal333
Dealer is quoting $6800 to pull out engine due to a radiator leak. They think they can resurface the rotors. If not, and need to replace, they want another $3500.
Do I have any options? What should I do?
I think you should punch that dealer service manager in the mouth.

Visit another dealer. No one needs to take an engine out to fix a radiator leak and that is outrageous for replacement rotors and install.
Old 04-27-15, 01:10 PM
nwfsnake
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest the radiator leak caused the RX to overheat, thus warping the cylinder heads, which now may need to be resurfaced (not the rotors). Just a guess, and I would get a remanufactured engine and have a reliable third party shop install it before I would do any of the work at this Lexus dealer! (If indeed the heads are warped!)

Make sure they replace the muffler bearings and headlight fluid while they are at it!
Old 04-27-15, 01:28 PM
mal333
Driver School Candidate

You are correct. It overheated on freeway about 4 miles from home. I immediately pulled over and had AAA tow it to Lexus dealer on flatbed. If you think I should take it elsewhere, what would I need to do to get it somewhere else? Would I need to tow it? Or can I drive it?

Also, if dealer wants $6000 (minus a $1000 discount) how do I find another mechanic who knows what he is doing?
Old 04-27-15, 01:50 PM
nwfsnake
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It appears from your public profile you are in California, I would bet if you post your city some other CL Members would be able to direct you to a realiable repair facility.
Old 04-27-15, 03:55 PM
mylexbaby
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mal333
You are correct. It overheated on freeway about 4 miles from home. I immediately pulled over and had AAA tow it to Lexus dealer on flatbed. If you think I should take it elsewhere, what would I need to do to get it somewhere else? Would I need to tow it? Or can I drive it?

Also, if dealer wants $6000 (minus a $1000 discount) how do I find another mechanic who knows what he is doing?
If you are in the San Diego area, I can suggest giving a call to The Truck Shop. They work on Toyota and Lexus and are very reasonable, helpful and knowledgeable.

As for your choices, many places can repair your car. Dealerships are often the most expensive. Independent shops can be better in terms of price and service.

If your car overheated, you should not drive it. This means another tow if you want to leave the dealership. An alternative is to rent a trailer that lets you transport your car yourself, especially if the distance is great. One option is a uhaul truck with a trailer hitch for towing your car.

For some possible good news (especially if the dealer estimate was not based on a lot of examination), your engine damage might not be as bad as it seems right now if your stopped your car quickly enough and if the coolant wasn't quickly and totally lost.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: radiator leak