RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Trickle Battery Charger

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 09:27 AM
ddanhour
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trickle Battery Charger

I would like to purchase a trickle charger for my 2007 RX 350 AWD
Any suggestions on what I need, Amps, Voltage, 12 ( I think). Also a manufacturer would also be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 10-05-10, 10:25 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The Schumacher SSC-1000A is a great unit. Fast Charge, Trickle charge, microprocessor controlled. It even detects and reports a bad cells or other battery defects. Bought mine at Amazon.
Old 10-05-10, 11:39 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You want a battery maintainer/charger not a trickle charger (trickle chargers will cook your battery...).

I use the CTek 3300 on one of my cars which is stored for 4-5 months in the winter and never have any issues. Just know w/ the Lex you'll need to have a direct connect to the battery as the cig lighters are only powered when ignition is on.

Old 10-05-10, 04:58 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I've used this model for the past 5 years and it works flawlessly. I use it on my 1991 MR2 which is retired for the winter. If you keep your eyes open you can often find it for under $30.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery...y-charger.html
Old 10-06-10, 09:30 AM
ddanhour
Driver School Candidate

Default Trickle Battery Charger

Thanks for all your responses to the above post.
Appreciate your help!
Old 10-06-10, 09:52 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I've used this model for the past 5 years and it works flawlessly. I use it on my 1991 MR2 which is retired for the winter. If you keep your eyes open you can often find it for under $30.

This is an excellent investment @ $39 + shipping. $30 is awesome.

I will get mine.
Old 10-07-10, 09:50 AM
mandyfig

I found options from Harbor Freight. From $15 to $120. I will probably get the $30 one. Good investnment.
Old 10-07-10, 10:34 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I found options from Harbor Freight. From $15 to $120. I will probably get the $30 one. Good investnment.
I'll be the first to say I purchase some tools at Harbor Freight. Mostly just throw aways or one time cheap versions of an essential specialty tool to do a particular job if you know what I mean. For the most part, they are the Dollar Store equivalent for tool retailers.

That being said, I wouldn't purchase a battery charger, jumper cables, or battery maintainer from HF unless it's a true brand name tool. Their Chicago, Pittsburgh, or other private label brands don't count either. There are too many good options like battery tender, c-tek, black & decker, etc. which are reasonable enough. Electrical systems in cars today are just too valuable, fragile and expensive to repair, IMNSHO, to risk it by saving $10-20 at HF. Would you use the private brand toothpaste from a $1 store???

YMMV

Old 10-07-10, 03:03 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with BurgBoxtr on Harbor Freight. Their products are cheap for a reason. Most of it is really poor quality and made by the lowest bidder in China.
Old 10-08-10, 10:07 PM
richonline
Rookie

Want to get one, thanks.
Originally Posted by jfelbab

Old 10-08-10, 11:32 PM
salimshah

Received 1,007 Likes on 910 Posts

It is true that the tools sold at HF are not top of the line. But I can not afford all of the tools made by Snap-On. My tool box has a mix of Quality tools and cheap ones. Socket set, wrenches and Screw drivers and measuring things are quality stuff and the rest are not.

Battery chargers can be exotic, but a base charger is just a transformer and diodes. A good and useful high school level project. I would not hesitate buying the HF charger [but not the starter-charger].

Note: There is more danger from DIYer than the charger itself in setting things up. Yes, I have split a battery by not following the right procedure.

Salim
Old 10-09-10, 06:23 AM
ddanhour
Driver School Candidate

Default Battery Tickle Charger

I solved the problem....Went to Lexus....Car still in warranty....Dead battery cell.
New battery.....No charge
Old 10-09-10, 06:40 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
I'll be the first to say I purchase some tools at Harbor Freight. Mostly just throw aways or one time cheap versions of an essential specialty tool to do a particular job if you know what I mean. For the most part, they are the Dollar Store equivalent for tool retailers.

That being said, I wouldn't purchase a battery charger, jumper cables, or battery maintainer from HF unless it's a true brand name tool. Their Chicago, Pittsburgh, or other private label brands don't count either. There are too many good options like battery tender, c-tek, black & decker, etc. which are reasonable enough. Electrical systems in cars today are just too valuable, fragile and expensive to repair, IMNSHO, to risk it by saving $10-20 at HF. Would you use the private brand toothpaste from a $1 store???

YMMV

You might have a point there. Mechanical tools are ok to buy from them, 1 time use. But electronics...you may be right.
Old 10-09-10, 07:20 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Products like the BatteryMINDer, Battery Tender, c-tek, etc. are much more sophisticated than a simple transformer and a couple of diodes. This is worth a bit of extra time to research this prior to purchasing.

Any electronics hobbyist can make a simple charger but the design and implementation of the devices used for long term maintenance of a battery are not among them. This class of devices uses a microprocessor to condition a battery not just charge it. They use high-frequency pulse charge technology, controlled charge/discharge cycles for desulphation (#1 cause of battery failure), overcharge protection, temperature compensated charging, etc. This is not accomplished with a simple transformer and a couple of diodes.

This from one of the manufactures site:
Features

•Safely charges-maintains-conditions all size and type starter, deep cycle, maintenance-type, maintenance-free, sealed, gelled, AGM or dry-type batteries.
•Charges and maintains from 1 to 4 batteries at a time (12 Volt batteries parallel-connected or two 6 Volt batteries series-connected) for less than 15¢ per month.
•Automatically removes (dissolves) harmful sulphation using safe, U.S. patented electronic pulse technology.
•The unit automatically desulphates in the maintenance mode after it completes the charging cycle.
•Guaranteed to never overcharge any battery, regardless of how long connected.
•No need to add water to maintenance-type batteries during long, non-use storage.
•Isolation transformer and smart chip technology ensure safe, long-term performance.
•Splash proof, conformal-coated circuitry ensures trouble-free life even in high-moisture marine environments.
•Allows battery to be stored safely at -0°F to +120°F.
•Unit comes complete with Qwik connect/disconnect battery clips and a ring terminal assembly for permanent connection with an easily replaceable fuse.
Full year 100% money-back guarantee takes the risk out of trying this great product.
•Five (5) year warranty covers everything except physical abuse.
I'd caution anyone not to just put a cheap HF charger on their battery for long term storage.
Old 10-09-10, 07:55 AM
salimshah

Received 1,007 Likes on 910 Posts

It is a good discussion, but be real guys .. what sort of a charging equipment is in the vehicle itself .. this how the battery is charged 99.99% of time.

Note: Scope of my suggestion is overnight charging and home use application.

Salim.

PS: The thread is about trickle chargers ... so I am off base.

http://storyofstuff.com/

http://storyofstuff.org/bottledwater/

http://storyofstuff.org/cosmetics/

http://www.storyofstuff.org/capandtrade/

Last edited by salimshah; 10-09-10 at 08:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Trickle Battery Charger