RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

$390 for 15,000 mile service

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 12:00 AM
JoeInHNL
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

$330 is what the Lexus dealer in Honolulu dealer charged me for 15 K service in March.

$180 for labor (1.6 hours). That would be reasonable if they actually did all the things they say they do; good luck with that.

$130 for parts (oil +filter, air filter, AC filter, Krex snake oil and fuel injector cleaner).
Old 12-09-09, 06:32 AM
Scottydog
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$390 for an oil change, diffs and the cabin filter?? Did they give you free espresso and wifi access while they stuck it to you?

I did the same on my wife's 09 in the garage. Took 30 minutes, plus $45 in oil/filter. I wish I made that much per hour! I can guide anyone how the how to's if you need it.

They don't call them stealerships for nothing...
Old 12-09-09, 06:38 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

My 15k cost $291. For that I got a loaner RX350 for the day as well. Still too costly, by a long shot IMO. As has been suggested, these services are much less costly at you local Toyota dealer.
Old 12-09-09, 08:47 AM
stacilu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jfelbab
My 15k cost $291. For that I got a loaner RX350 for the day as well. Still too costly, by a long shot IMO. As has been suggested, these services are much less costly at you local Toyota dealer.

Hmmm, then you guys are telling me that this is in the ballpark? Considering that I also had the "detailing,". Wow, that is too high for my blood Lexus or no Lexus.

Many years ago, even before Lexus my friend drove a Cadillac and he was *****in about a part cost. He told me the service manager just said something like, well if you want to drive a Cadillac, you pay Cadillac prices. I thought that was bs then and I think it is bs now.
Old 12-09-09, 09:41 AM
jfelbab

Well, I should add that my local Lexus dealership recently moved into a new service facility. The waiting area is huge, I'd estimate 6,000 - 8,000 sq. ft. It has a kitchen area with several different gourmet blends of coffee, latte, soda, donuts, sandwiches, cookies, snacks, etc. There are several computer equipped offices with wireless internet access throughout. It has a large screen Hi-Def TV with leather sofas and chairs. A fireplace and just about any amenity you could imagine. There are two personal assistants on hand to assist me with any business need, i.e. copies, etc.

It is the best waiting area I've seen anywhere. The only thing missing is a Jacuzzi or a masseur. LOL

The quality of my Lexus service has always been outstanding. When they have given me an estimate their price has always come in under. When they say it will take an hour it takes an hour or less. When they have repaired something it has been repaired right the first time and it stays repaired. When they service my car they will always wash and detail it inside and out unless I instruct them not to. I am always offered a free loaner and that is always a new vehicle of the same model I have serviced.

This level of service does not come free. To me, it is worth the extra money as I can be as productive in the Lexus service area as I am in my office.

Yet if I wanted to cut about 30% off the Lexus service prices I could go to my local Toyota dealer. There they have a small 20'x20' room with an old 36" CRT TV and well worn furniture. No snacks or coffee unless I visit a vending machine. No office with computers, no loaners unless I pay for one.

It all boils down to what you consider a value to you.
Old 12-09-09, 09:52 AM
davesmith
Driver School Candidate

you get what you pay for, and that is SERVICE. Oil Change/Airfilter/CabinAirFilter/BrakeInspection/TireRotation/and Overall CheckUp:tire presures/driveline/hoses/etc.. are the normal 15,000 interval service. About the differential service, depends on location or towing, the first 15k miles are break in for the gear oil, usually the dirtiest fluid...after that, you can do every 30k interval.

Lexus Service: loaner available, free detail, big overhead cost for dealerships because of the high demanding customers.
Old 12-09-09, 02:13 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

You have a point....the experience is worth something. And the Starbucks is so good!
Old 12-11-09, 06:31 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

There comes a time in your life that it is time to go first class if you can afford it. Buying a Lexus over a Ford or Chevy is one of those steps. Nothing wrong with Fords or Chevy's but the waiting room and personal amenities are two different worlds apart. I like to play golf. Have played muni's all of my life. Tried the semi-"private" golf clubs and "country clubs" that allow the public to play and all they were are high priced muni's.Finally joined a true country club and it's worlds apart from the latter. Expensive yes, but I have never seen a armored car following behind a hearse yet. You can't take it with you.

Cat
Old 12-14-09, 08:27 PM
joako
Driver

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Well, I should add that my local Lexus dealership recently moved into a new service facility. The waiting area is huge, I'd estimate 6,000 - 8,000 sq. ft. It has a kitchen area with several different gourmet blends of coffee, latte, soda, donuts, sandwiches, cookies, snacks, etc. There are several computer equipped offices with wireless internet access throughout. It has a large screen Hi-Def TV with leather sofas and chairs. A fireplace and just about any amenity you could imagine. There are two personal assistants on hand to assist me with any business need, i.e. copies, etc.

It is the best waiting area I've seen anywhere. The only thing missing is a Jacuzzi or a masseur. LOL

The quality of my Lexus service has always been outstanding. When they have given me an estimate their price has always come in under. When they say it will take an hour it takes an hour or less. When they have repaired something it has been repaired right the first time and it stays repaired. When they service my car they will always wash and detail it inside and out unless I instruct them not to. I am always offered a free loaner and that is always a new vehicle of the same model I have serviced.

This level of service does not come free. To me, it is worth the extra money as I can be as productive in the Lexus service area as I am in my office.

Yet if I wanted to cut about 30% off the Lexus service prices I could go to my local Toyota dealer. There they have a small 20'x20' room with an old 36" CRT TV and well worn furniture. No snacks or coffee unless I visit a vending machine. No office with computers, no loaners unless I pay for one.

It all boils down to what you consider a value to you.
Is that dealer in Florida? I would like to go there -- Lexus of Kendall is a piece of crap.
Old 12-14-09, 08:44 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by joako
Is that dealer in Florida? I would like to go there -- Lexus of Kendall is a piece of crap.
No, it's in Wisconsin.