RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

tire selection

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 07:15 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

There have been so many owners here talking about going to larger tire and/or wheels on their RX that I wanted to address the critical issue of unsprung weight. It seems noone is giving this any concern when making their tire choices. This is a huge mistake, IMO.

I'd strongly advise you to learn what unsprung weight is and how it will affect your vehicles performance. Learn how adding as little as 4 pounds of unsprung weight to a wheel will equate to around 200 pounds of sprung weight to the vehicles handling. Learn how this will cost you grip and reduce the handling performance of your vehicle. If you learn anything about unsprung weight you will conclude that it is bad and that reducing it will improve your handling significantly.

Here area a couple of articles by Eric Albert to get your started.

http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-ar...art-1-a-29057/
http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-ar...art-2-a-29058/

These are probably the most informed and well explained articles on this subject on the Web.

Anyone who autocrosses already knows this to be true but just in case you don't, given identical vehicles, the one with less unsprung weight will almost always outperform the heavier one. If you feel you want a heavier tire for appearance reasons maybe you can go with lighter wheels to compensate for the tire weight. If you think a wider tire will automatically make your vehicle handle better you could be very mistaken. Always be aware of any added tire weight when you choose a tire and try to stay close to the OEM or even below the OEM weight if you are trying to improve handling and ride.
Old 11-06-09, 04:25 PM
asianrage
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
There have been so many owners here talking about going to larger tire and/or wheels on their RX that I wanted to address the critical issue of unsprung weight. It seems noone is giving this any concern when making their tire choices. This is a huge mistake, IMO.

I'd strongly advise you to learn what unsprung weight is and how it will affect your vehicles performance. Learn how adding as little as 4 pounds of unsprung weight to a wheel will equate to around 200 pounds of sprung weight to the vehicles handling. Learn how this will cost you grip and reduce the handling performance of your vehicle. If you learn anything about unsprung weight you will conclude that it is bad and that reducing it will improve your handling significantly.

Here area a couple of articles by Eric Albert to get your started.

http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-ar...art-1-a-29057/
http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-ar...art-2-a-29058/

These are probably the most informed and well explained articles on this subject on the Web.

Anyone who autocrosses already knows this to be true but just in case you don't, given identical vehicles, the one with less unsprung weight will almost always outperform the heavier one. If you feel you want a heavier tire for appearance reasons maybe you can go with lighter wheels to compensate for the tire weight. If you think a wider tire will automatically make your vehicle handle better you could be very mistaken. Always be aware of any added tire weight when you choose a tire and try to stay close to the OEM or even below the OEM weight if you are trying to improve handling and ride.
May I ask why you decided to go with the Alenza. What was your factory tire size? Did you go with a lighter set of wheels? Just curious.

Mine was the Michelin MXV4 S8 and at the the 235/55-18 size, the same sized Alenza was 4lbs heavier (@ 33lbs vs 29lbs). I went with the 255/55-18 size of my Nitto nT420s at an additional 2lbs (35lbs) extra, which was 3lbs (per tire) less than the Dueler Alenza with the same size (38lbs).
Old 11-06-09, 05:23 PM
jfelbab

When I replaced the tires on my RX330 (235/55/18) there were few choices available. Basically just three, Michelin, Goodyear and Bridgestone. The Goodyears were the OEM on my RX and they handled poorly and wore even worse. I had driven two 330's with Michelin and they were very bouncy. The Alenza was getting great reviews and outstanding treadwear. They have a 1.2 inches wider tread patch than the Goodyears of the same size and 2/32 deeper tread depth. The Alenzas came with a 5 year 65k mile treadlife warranty and neither Michelin nor Goodyear had any warranty.

If you analyze the info at TireRack.com for these three tires you would probably conclude that the Bridgestone was worth a look.

Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 / Goodyear Eagle RS-A / Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza

The result: I am satisfied with my purchase. Had I stuck with the Goodyears I'd have had to replace them again by now. I chose the Alenza for it's treadwear and since I do 80%+ of my driving on the highway I wanted a Highway tire. I also have to drive in snow and ice so I wanted a tire with better control in that environment. I also wanted a quieter tire as the Goodyears were quite loud.

If I had to make the choice today I'd probably pick the Yokohama Parada Spec-X. This tire has a full 2" wider tread width than the Goodyear of the same size, is only 1 pound heavier and has excellent snow and ice ratings as well as handling and quietness.

Last edited by jfelbab; 11-06-09 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Add a suggestion
Old 11-06-09, 06:10 PM
asianrage
Driver

Originally Posted by jfelbab
When I replaced the tires on my RX330 (235/55/18) there were few choices available. Basically just three, Michelin, Goodyear and Bridgestone. The Goodyears were the OEM on my RX and they handled poorly and wore even worse. I had driven two 330's with Michelin and they were very bouncy. The Alenza was getting great reviews and outstanding treadwear. They have a 1.2 inches wider tread patch than the Goodyears of the same size and 2/32 deeper tread depth. The Alenzas came with a 5 year 65k mile treadlife warranty and neither Michelin nor Goodyear had any warranty.

If you analyze the info at TireRack.com for these three tires you would probably conclude that the Bridgestone was worth a look.

Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 / Goodyear Eagle RS-A / Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza

The result: I am satisfied with my purchase. Had I stuck with the Goodyears I'd have had to replace them again by now. I chose the Alenza for it's treadwear and since I do 80%+ of my driving on the highway I wanted a Highway tire. I also have to drive in snow and ice so I wanted a tire with better control in that environment. I also wanted a quieter tire as the Goodyears were quite loud.

If I had to make the choice today I'd probably pick the Yokohama Parada Spec-X. This tire has a full 2" wider tread width than the Goodyear of the same size, is only 1 pound heavier and has excellent snow and ice ratings as well as handling and quietness.
While shopping for new tires, I found that the goodyear got horrible reviews from most of the sites I was visiting, including TR.com. I wasn't going to spend money to replace the Michelin given how squirmy it is when doing some cornering work. It did last over 50K miles so that's one positive. But i didn't want to spend anymore than i have to.

My choices were down to the Bridgestone Alenza, Kumho Venture, Toyo STII, and Nitto NT420s. All were getting good reviews. But the Venture were too heavy in general despite being the cheapest. The Alenza was the most expensive. Leaving on the Toyo and Nitto. I couldn't find out how much the Toyo weighs so I couldn't commit. So based on the budget that I had worked out with my wife, I was stretching it just enough to get the Nitto.

I do regret that it is 35lbs and much heavier than I would have preferred since it does affect my gas mileage. But it is such a big difference driving the car now. The car feels very planted and handling capabilities has been improved drastically. No more would I hear the tire squealing when you round the cloverleaf of the freeway entrance. I drove through heavy, heavy rain storm today and never did I feel any hesitation through the steering wheel. Plus, it is smooth riding and quiet in normal situation as well, especially if you like the Michelin.

Worth it? Yeah. If I were to do it again, I think I would have gone with a 255/50-18 sizing instead, which would have resulted in a 2lbs difference (31lbs).
Old 11-19-09, 08:54 AM
chmod
Driver School Candidate

Default I upsized when the stock Michelins were on their last legs

We drive a 2007 400H.

I upgraded and upsized to the Bridgestone Alenzas - but went with 255 x 55 x18 from the stock 235 x 55. Purely from the standpoint of appearance, it is a remarkable upgrade - the car now looks balanced. Previously it looked like it was perched, balanced on skinny tyres.

Yes, they are more heavy than the stock tires, and I am very familiar with the issue of unsprung weight. But the difference in how the care "feels" is substantial, in addition to being simply superior when the roads are very wet.

The Michelins felt like raw steel on their finals days, and despite being trouble free the car never previously felt grippy when on twisty roads. The larger footprint imparts a very discernible feel to the car.

I accept the penalty of MPG, whatever it may be. It might be 1-2 MPG, it might not - it depends how the car is driven during a given tank. I mean if you fret that sort of issue, and it is clearly your right to do so, I have no comment.

I simply know the cars feels and handles better for us, the way we drive and under the conditions which we travel.

chmod
Old 11-19-09, 07:46 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

I just put the Dueler H/Ls on my 08RX. About 28K on the Michelins that came stock, had a nail ruin one and instead of buying 2 with winter coming I just bought 4 of the Duelers. I do feel a little bit harder ride but I haven't checked what pressure they aired them to yet. I will be heading to Tahoe this weekend but I'm not sure if it will still be snowing when I travel.
Jeff
Old 11-19-09, 08:35 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by jgr7
I just put the Dueler H/Ls on my 08RX. About 28K on the Michelins that came stock, had a nail ruin one and instead of buying 2 with winter coming I just bought 4 of the Duelers. I do feel a little bit harder ride but I haven't checked what pressure they aired them to yet. I will be heading to Tahoe this weekend but I'm not sure if it will still be snowing when I travel.
Jeff
For a comfortable, more luxury, feel I air them to 30-32 psi. For a firmer, stiffer ride, I fill them to around 35 psi. On the highway I find 35psi works very well for comfort and mileage.
Old 11-20-09, 06:33 AM
andrewr
Driver School Candidate

Anyone look at Continental ContiProContact? Cost less than the Michelin OE, 1lb lighter and similar characteristics.
Old 11-20-09, 05:31 PM
zgar
Driver School Candidate

Last Wednesday, I replace the stock Michellins with Alenzas. Got 40k out of the Michellins.
Was bummed when I saw that Discount Tire started a $100 rebate on Thursday, but one call to their store and they gladly re-issued a new invoice so I can get the $100 rebate!
I think the rebate is only for CA and only until 11/21.
Old 11-22-09, 09:18 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just re-read some of the posts and one thing keeps popping up - why on earth would you go to the dealer for tires? Go to an independant dealer who carries multiple brands. Better yet, go to www.tirerack.com, buy your tires and then use their website to find an affiliated installer. Imo, the dealer markup is huge and the selection is terrible on tires. I have had great luck with NTB, now an affiliate of Sears, for tire installation on the tires I buy from Tire Rack.

Just my two cents.
Old 11-22-09, 10:35 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Grumpa72, I usually go to my local STS for my tires. But when I was driving my RX to the dealer last month, the tires were not feeling good - 33k on the Alenzas. So I went ahead and changed them to the OE Michelins at the dealer. I had a coupon for a free alignment with tire purchase which cut down the cost even more. The next day I went to my local STS to get the spare changed. He told me the tires from the dealer were below his cost by several dollars. So he brought the price down for me.

Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised I paid less for the tires at the dealer. The alignment coupon made the decision easier. My service advisor also knocked off another $50 for me. I'd definitely consider going to the dealer and not automatically ruling them out.
Old 11-22-09, 02:56 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitlz
Grumpa72, I usually go to my local STS for my tires. But when I was driving my RX to the dealer last month, the tires were not feeling good - 33k on the Alenzas. So I went ahead and changed them to the OE Michelins at the dealer. I had a coupon for a free alignment with tire purchase which cut down the cost even more. The next day I went to my local STS to get the spare changed. He told me the tires from the dealer were below his cost by several dollars. So he brought the price down for me.

Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised I paid less for the tires at the dealer. The alignment coupon made the decision easier. My service advisor also knocked off another $50 for me. I'd definitely consider going to the dealer and not automatically ruling them out.
WOW! A lower cost for anything at the dealer than a comparable non-affiliated shop? I am amazed. My comment was addressing the generic statements that many folks have about tire selections at the dealer. When you need tires, you need tires, no matter where you are. I was forced to buy tires 500 miles into a 1100 trip when I was my bringing my late mother-in-laws car from TX to PA. I didn't get a good price but two tread separations at 70 mph convinced me that she had let the hot Texas sun dry rot her tires. So, I can't even say that I always follow my own advice. As an added comment, when I was advising my daughter on tires for her car, I went to Tire Rack and then called a local shop who agreed to match the price. So I saved the shipping cost.
Old 11-22-09, 05:37 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

I had a similar experience at the local Firestone dealer. I asked over the phone for their best price on a tire. I was given a price. It was a lot more than Tire Rack. A few weeks later I was in the Firestone dealer for a tire rotation/oil change and casually brought up the subject of tire prices. When I mentioned that I bought my tires from Tire Rack instead from them, they told me you should have told us you had priced tires at Tire Rack and we would have matched it What were they thinking when I called and asked for their best price over the phone ?

Cat
Old 11-29-09, 08:30 PM
hoonami
Pole Position

which GY are you guys referring to? because when i bought my rx400h CPO it came with GY Assurance Comfortred and i kinda like it, and thinking of sticking with it for next set and getting these for my honda oddyssey...
Old 11-29-09, 08:41 PM
jfelbab

GoodYear Eagle RSA 235/55/18

Quick Reply: tire selection