RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Paint peeling??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-12, 01:36 PM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Again, I reiterate that it is an issue here. What happens here on the forums does not reflect the outside world. Another thing I should mention is that painting on different surfaces requires different formulations of paint. Flex additive may have a negative impact on certain color formulations as each different color requires a complex mix of chemicals to achieve the desired effect. It is only natural for plastic pieces to be affected more than metal bits due to chemical build up alone. I doubt BP is the only affected color as plenty of other makes can and will suffer from a similar fate
"What happens here on the forums does not reflect the outside world". Are you serious? If what we discuss on these forums does not reflect the outside world, what world does it reflect? Are those of us who own Lexus automobiles aliens? The entire purpose of these forums is to reflect what goes on in the outside world with regard to the particular automobiles we own. And those of us who happen to own Bamboo Pearl are equally entitled to join voices and opinions as is anyone else on this site. What happens to other makes is of absolutely no importance to me at this time. Look around this thread (or entire forum for that matter) and see what color is mentioned more than any other when it comes to flaking paint issues.
Old 01-15-12, 02:30 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by stevies30
"What happens here on the forums does not reflect the outside world". Are you serious? If what we discuss on these forums does not reflect the outside world, what world does it reflect? Are those of us who own Lexus automobiles aliens? The entire purpose of these forums is to reflect what goes on in the outside world with regard to the particular automobiles we own. And those of us who happen to own Bamboo Pearl are equally entitled to join voices and opinions as is anyone else on this site. What happens to other makes is of absolutely no importance to me at this time. Look around this thread (or entire forum for that matter) and see what color is mentioned more than any other when it comes to flaking paint issues.
I think that what was meant that this is a matter of scale. Users here who post are a select group -- many with problems. The vast majority of of owners do not come here nor have problems such as this paint issue even with this color paint. At best, you can state that at least X number of owners have this issue and nothing more. Though, even with that small a sample there is enough there to at least raise a complaint with Toyota/Lexus.
Old 01-15-12, 10:28 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
I think that what was meant that this is a matter of scale. Users here who post are a select group -- many with problems. The vast majority of of owners do not come here nor have problems such as this paint issue even with this color paint. At best, you can state that at least X number of owners have this issue and nothing more. Though, even with that small a sample there is enough there to at least raise a complaint with Toyota/Lexus.
Bingo. Essentially I said the same thing twice in a row in 2 different posts. Also suggesting that emailing Lexus Corp wouldn't hurt
Old 01-16-12, 03:45 PM
stevies30
Driver

eyezack87 I understand your point and my comments were not meant as a personal attack on you. The percentage of Lexus owners who ever get on this site is very small, probably 5 percent or less of all Lexus owners. Nevertheless the members here are aware of the issues regarding their cars and that's why many people come to this site for answers to problems they're having. We actually do represent Lexus in the real world as a result of being car enthusiasts. Lexus will never do anything about this paint issue and I have no illusions about that. I was just curious as to the number of people on this site who are having paint issues with this particular color. I wasn't suggesting we use it as a tool to try to force Lexus into addressing the situation. You're right - it won't hurt to contact Lexus corporate and plead our cases individually which is exactly what I intend to do. It's definitely more than coincidence though.....
Old 01-17-12, 09:25 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

No worries Stevie, all is good. At the very least this thread kept me on a lookout for BP owners in my area. Irvine has the largest concentration of RX's so it wouldn't hurt to see who else has an issue in SoCal
Old 01-19-12, 04:38 PM
stevies30
Driver

Ok, glad to know we're on the same page. Your points are legit and I respect your opinions. Since I have no choice but to have the mirrors painted, I'm thinking of installing some mirror covers with LED signals. I've seen a post here on those and I think they look good. We're trying to get a group buy together if anyone is interested......
Old 01-20-12, 12:03 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

I'd recommend those as I got turned into while going straight since someone couldn't "see" me from the side. Also, quick tip, make sure the vendor sets up the group buy. Members are not allowed to set them up
Old 01-23-12, 12:15 PM
jekRX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to sign up to this forum to post that I have the same issue with my 07 bamboo pearl RX350. Both side view mirrors and door handles have fading issues. The rest of the cars paint job is holding up well.

*Always some "weird" issue with any car I have owned.
Old 01-25-12, 11:51 AM
stevies30
Driver

Welcome aboard. Regardless of what problem or issue you're having, you're not alone. Rest assured that someone else is experiencing the same thing.
Old 06-05-12, 08:53 PM
huyen66
Driver School Candidate

Default my car the same

[QUOTE=rookie07;4918115]I just bought my wife an 07 RX350 Bamboo Peal. The door handles are peeling apart. The Dealer is being a bit of a Deuche' about it. Isn't the paint on a Lexus warrantied for 8 yrs? They told me that they have to send the handles back to the factory to see if they're warranty-able. WTF I even asked them "what are the repainted handles worth"? I'll just take that value against some Chrome ones. He told me to pound sand, and that they can only R/R the handles. So I asked them "If these handles peeled apart in just two years, what makes me believe that the repainted ones will last"? He basically said That all replacement parts are warrantied for one year. Anybody seen anything like this. I was told by a car salesmen that Lexus will swap out chrome ones because they have had trouble with the Bamboo Peal color on the door
handles. Let me know .
hi, i have my car same your wife color ,same problem , i call them make concern after 2 week they call me tell me that condition . they don't want to fit that . my car all most 5 year ,they say warrantied out , and the mirror painting peeling too .my mirror from the left hand side start first over 1 year ago.if you have any ideas let me know
Old 06-29-12, 07:57 PM
Emilie
Driver School Candidate

Default Same Problem With Bamboo Pearl

Hi, I'm new to the forum. My mom's 2004 RX 330 is having the same problem with the door handles peeling and it's also bamboo pearl. I haven't had any problems with mine so I guess it is worse with the BP color. Where can she order chrome handles from? I saw one post that said eBay, but i wasn't sure if that was just a cover or actual handles. Thanks
Old 07-01-12, 08:44 AM
txcoupe
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I just picked up a 2008 Bamboo Pearl and the side mirrors are also peeling. Left headlight also has condensation. Will be looking for a good paint shop to repaint or look into LED mirrors like many forum members have suggested.
Old 07-02-12, 10:03 PM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an '09 Bamboo color as well. So far so good but I'm on the look out since I keep my vehicle parked in the street or it's at an outdoor garage.

I was reading a forum where they were discussing a clear bra to protect the front and rear bumper. I was thinking would it be a good idea for the back of the mirror as well. They say an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.
Old 07-23-12, 10:35 PM
Gavinw35
Rookie

Just to let everyone know i have a 2004 Lexus Rx330 bamboo pearl obviously out of warranty but i took the car to the dealer and showed them the peeling mirrors and they took pictures and sent to Lexus corp. They said i would hear back around a week to a month and just called me after 3 days! They are doing a one time good will repair and are ordering the part a to replace both mirrors. They said it was due to our service history with Lexus dealerships. Very very happy with the outcome of this!
Old 07-25-12, 05:49 PM
ELITech
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Alrighty, not to create a stir, but, there is a known problem with the Bamboo Pearl RX and the sideview mirrors and door handles.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll provide you with info

Quick Reply: Paint peeling??