RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Roof Rack removal procedure

Old 12-11-10, 12:46 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the way there is a "KIT" http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2005/2422.html
Old 12-12-10, 06:46 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Look at that, they finally listened to the customers. Great stuff!
Old 01-11-11, 01:50 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Nice I just ordered the kit! There is some nice sweet deal I got too cause it was $63 shipping included. Before I made an account it was $81 shipped. Not bad Made me feel a bit better about the purchase
Old 01-11-11, 10:39 AM
mandyfig

Includes all bolts and hardware? Good deal then.
Old 01-11-11, 02:39 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Includes all bolts and hardware? Good deal then.
Roof Rack Removal Kit includes:

* 4 Inner Rack Roof Retainers
* 2 Left Side Roof Mouldings
* 2 Right Side Roof Mouldings
* 8 Mounting bolts
Old 01-12-11, 10:26 AM
mandyfig

Good deal. I remember when I did mine, had to make a trip to Home Depot to get the right bolts. Bit of a hassle because they were selling the bolts at a freeking 500% margin.

Now they have a package, all complete and reasonably priced.
Old 03-12-11, 07:33 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

I finally did this:

Going to have to put the rack back on in June for school but only for one term. In some cases this RX is hard to recognize as an RX in person now. It's funny to look at it. Looks so slick. about 100% of ever RX has a roof rack in Los Angeles so it's throws people off.
Old 03-12-11, 08:29 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RX350 Rack

All you need now is a set of steps.
Attached Thumbnails Roof Rack removal procedure-lexus-steps.jpg  
Old 03-12-11, 08:40 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Oh no. I have a full kit coming in a month. Step is nice but not for me thanks. At least till I get sick of the lip kit.

Last edited by infinirx; 03-12-11 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-13-11, 07:00 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
I love the look of your RX . I know you are on air, but how much lower is that than stock? Absolutely beautiful. Also what size rims are those (width and height)?

Back to the topic at hand, I had thought about removing it, but I am still in 2 minds. What happens when I need them one day (while I am away from home) ? Also still not 100% positive on the different look when comparing rack on and off.
Old 03-13-11, 07:50 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by draco
I love the look of your RX . I know you are on air, but how much lower is that than stock? Absolutely beautiful. Also what size rims are those (width and height)?

Back to the topic at hand, I had thought about removing it, but I am still in 2 minds. What happens when I need them one day (while I am away from home) ? Also still not 100% positive on the different look when comparing rack on and off.
Glad you like it. Seems to be appreciated by allot that see it. Looks diff. in person however. Allot seem to like it better. Still a work in progress.

Honestly I do not know the full drop height. It's pretty major. 6"? No fender work has been done or custom shocks. When I do this summer it will go a couple more inches lower than this.

Wheels:
Work LS105's 21x9+26 21x10+39
They needed diff. size tires front & rear for the AWD and so far it's about 15mm spacers in the rear and 7mm in the front?

It's actually about a 10min install either way. I would try it and see for yourself. I have to put the rack back on in late May for school equip. then I can take it off again in late august.

Last edited by infinirx; 03-19-11 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-15-11, 05:33 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Hello,
I'm looking for a little clarification of this modification. I would like to have the roof rack removed, as it looks fantastic. But I would have this service done at the dealership, due to I'm not allowed to play with tools. I know that I can order the "kit" from Sewells, but what else do I need to purchase. If I need to make additional purchases what do I need and how much.

Also how much labour is involved in this procedure so I can budget appropriately.
Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 03-15-11, 06:37 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by diverchris
Hello,
I'm looking for a little clarification of this modification. I would like to have the roof rack removed, as it looks fantastic. But I would have this service done at the dealership, due to I'm not allowed to play with tools. I know that I can order the "kit" from Sewells, but what else do I need to purchase. If I need to make additional purchases what do I need and how much.

Also how much labour is involved in this procedure so I can budget appropriately.
Thanks in advance,
Chris
Not sure what tools you're not allowed to play with, as it looks to really just be using a socket set. The process looks fairly straight forward and there really shouldn't be any need to have a dealer do it. The labour would most likely be charged in hourly increments (as they all seem to be that way here in Australia) but would probably only take the dealer 15-20 minutes to do. A waste of money really, to get it done by the dealer.
Old 03-15-11, 07:58 AM
mandyfig

Agree. Other than the awkward position you will be in leaning over to do the unbolting, bolting, should be a breeze.

Use a lot of towels to protect the car. And the ladder you are using...be careful. Use towels and cover the entire work area.

Good luck and save money. And then feel good for a job well done. Post pics.
Old 03-16-11, 06:17 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Thanks for the information,plus vote of confidence. The only thing I'm curious about is the plastic strips that fit into the groves along the length on the vehicle. I do not have them. So if I remove the roof rack what should I be buying. If I explained that poorly let me know and I can post pictures.

Thanks for everyones help,
Chris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roof Rack removal procedure