RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How To Turn Off Traction Control

Old 10-26-09, 09:03 PM
BokCh0y
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 04 AWD and no button either. However i looked behind the drivers side knee panel and i can see the harness.

i know there's a post here about a user ordering the switch and installing and it wasn't successful. has anyone else tried this though?

i'm really curious about this....there's contradictory information here. Some say their 04 has the button to disable and others say they don't have it? Am i missing something here?

I'd like to disable TC in my AWD so i can get out of deep snow!!!!! The TC is horrible.
Old 10-26-09, 09:09 PM
BokCh0y
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
In my AWD 04 I have the TRAC switch but no VSC switch.
Are you sure that isn't the button for the AFS headlights to disable or the tire pressure sensor reset/re-calibration button? I have both the AFS and the tire pressure recalb. button, but no TC on/off switch.
Old 12-13-10, 06:27 PM
masco
Driver School Candidate

sorry to resurrect an old thread, but have you guys tried this 'pedal dance'?

1. Make sure the car is in Park and the parking brake is disengaged before you start the car.
2. Start the engine.
3. Engage the parking brake.
4. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
5. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
6. Disengage the parking brake.
7. Fully depress and hold down the brake pedal.
8. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).
9. Engage the parking brake, then disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).
10. Release the brake pedal.
11. Engage the parking brake.
12. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
13. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

When “Check VSC" is displayed in the multifunction display along with the “Trac-off" icon indicator, you'll know that you have successfully completed the procedure. It seems to work for the GS and IS. I will try this routine shortly.
Old 12-13-10, 06:58 PM
masco
Driver School Candidate

hmmm, it didn't work for my 2006 RX330 AWD
Old 12-13-10, 08:25 PM
BokCh0y
Driver School Candidate

Tried the "pedal dance" thing before, no dice. Only works for the IS, GS and the newer Rav4's. Nothing for the 04-06 RX pos.
Old 12-14-10, 06:14 PM
Pushnoy
Driver School Candidate

I hate the fact that i can't turn of traction on my RX400h. I got stuck in snow last winter and random people were suggesting me to try pressing a gas pedal in order to get out like i was a jerk. Every time when i stuck i pressed gas pedal, my car not only doesn't move, but it doesn't rev up the engine at all. Hate it.
Old 12-15-10, 01:03 AM
ManXP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, this "feature" pi**es me off too. Everything else is great, but what the **** did Lexus engineers think about!?
Old 12-15-10, 08:58 AM
aquatrax
Driver School Candidate

I hate it too, what's up with losing power when traction control engages? How is this supposed to help me maintain control when there is no response when the gas pedal is pressed?
Old 12-16-10, 05:12 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, it is obviously a traction control that was designed for highway speed! Works great there!

Does not work AT ALL if you are going 5mph up a hill, though. It makes it much worse.

A common tactic is to get up speed, and then keep the wheels spinning (even if they are slipping)--you will get enough bite to get up the hill. But with traction control on, it just cuts the engine at the worst possible time. Who says toyota engineers know anything--they are true dolts on this one!
Old 12-17-10, 06:15 AM
aquatrax
Driver School Candidate

Question

I wonder if Toyota would respond to a customer petition on this issue as it is most likely just a software change. If all the RX owners signed it, it may get them to do something.
Old 12-17-10, 07:50 AM
phlfly
Driver

Try push snow button on gear's panel.
Old 12-17-10, 10:46 AM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There needs to be something. When you're stuck in 6'' of snow, I can put the pedal to the floor and no reponse from anything, it's like the drive-by-wire system just ignores any input... at least in the TL I can disable the VSA and spin the wheels when needed.
Old 12-21-10, 05:42 AM
aquatrax
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by phlfly
Try push snow button on gear's panel.
Even with the snow button on you can still lose power when you need it. I should know I am driving in it everyday here in Minnesota. There is definitely something wrong with the traction control software.
Old 12-21-10, 11:32 AM
phlfly
Driver

Originally Posted by aquatrax
Even with the snow button on you can still lose power when you need it. I should know I am driving in it everyday here in Minnesota. There is definitely something wrong with the traction control software.
In region like Minny, you are guys should use winter tires with metal spikes.
Finns, Swedish is a law soon as November on door step. I believe some part of Europe has law to have a special winter tires.
Remember, Lexus with 17 and 18 wheels uses a high performance tires for SUV.
Other then that 4x4 will help, but nothing is going to help against ice or a very deep snow. (snow mobile, of course)
Old 10-20-13, 02:22 PM
RXPhil
Rookie

What if you pull the fuse?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To Turn Off Traction Control