RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Changing rear tail light bulb on RX330

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-09, 05:41 PM
vinceb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing rear tail light bulb on RX330

Does anyone know how to acces the rear tail light assembly to change the bulb. The tail lights are located on the hatch. I can not find an access point, screws, clips on the inside of the hatch.
Old 09-08-09, 03:45 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have too remove the panel to access the taillights
Old 09-08-09, 01:43 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Tail lights are replaceable (bulb), not the stop lights (LED). The corner lamp assembly is held by 3 bolts. You will need to pry out the cover and reach in there and unbolt. Tight space. Need small hands...
Old 09-03-14, 07:57 PM
Trex2005
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pics outside taillight rx330 2005

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Tail lights are replaceable (bulb), not the stop lights (LED). The corner lamp assembly is held by 3 bolts. You will need to pry out the cover and reach in there and unbolt. Tight space. Need small hands...
Don't unbolt. Just reach in and remove desired light bulb. The black wire in the pic going up is the outside tail light. Mine was just loose I wiggled it and it came back on.
Attached Thumbnails Changing rear tail light bulb on RX330-image.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
2008RX400h (05-08-22)
Old 12-14-14, 03:33 PM
redgs400
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Generic issue with loose 5W wedge bulb contacts

I just spent several hours dealing with 5W wedge bulbs in my wife's 2004 RX330. This all started when the rear light outage warning light popped on in the instrument cluster which I traced to the left outside taillight (comes on when the parking lights or headlights are turned on). As noted, you don't have to remove the taillight housing if your hand is small enough to reach up in the access opening just inside the rear lift gate opening.

However when I pushed the replacement 5W bulb into the socket on the end of the wiring harness, I found the amount of force alarmingly low. Usually when I replace a wedge bulb, there's a reassuring amount of resistance as I push the contact end of the bulb in place. When I turned on the parking lights with the new bulb installed, I was not too surprised that the replacement bulb did not light.

I did remove the bulb and flare the loop contacts on the end of the bulb outwards, reinstalled it in the socket, and got the bulb to light up when I turned the parking lights on.

However on the next trip in the car, sure enough, the rear light outage warning popped on again, and a visual check confirmed that the bulb was, again, not lit.

So back into the access panel again. Except this time, I used the pointed end of a small nail to *carefully* bend the contacts in the socket so that they would pinch the loop connections on the end of the wedge bulb more firmly. After this tweak, I felt more resistance more to my liking when I installed the light bulb, and it lit up when I tested it.

Since my mind was already on task, i checked the other exterior lights of the car and discovered that two other lights--both also 5W wedge bulbs--were burnt out, namely a front parking light in the high beam assembly and a front side marker light. I'll skip how much, um, fun those were to replace, but before installing those wedge bulbs, I did the same tweak of gently bending the contacts so that they would pinch the bulb contacts more firmly. I'll see how it turns out during our next trip out.
The following users liked this post:
2008RX400h (05-08-22)
Old 12-30-14, 09:45 PM
LSBen
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default wedge bulb contact point

Hi Redgs400. Are the bulbs still working fine since the adjustment to the bulb contact points? Or did they go out again? I have this problem with one of my tail light bulbs.

Thanks

Originally Posted by redgs400
I just spent several hours dealing with 5W wedge bulbs in my wife's 2004 RX330. This all started when the rear light outage warning light popped on in the instrument cluster which I traced to the left outside taillight (comes on when the parking lights or headlights are turned on). As noted, you don't have to remove the taillight housing if your hand is small enough to reach up in the access opening just inside the rear lift gate opening.

However when I pushed the replacement 5W bulb into the socket on the end of the wiring harness, I found the amount of force alarmingly low. Usually when I replace a wedge bulb, there's a reassuring amount of resistance as I push the contact end of the bulb in place. When I turned on the parking lights with the new bulb installed, I was not too surprised that the replacement bulb did not light.

I did remove the bulb and flare the loop contacts on the end of the bulb outwards, reinstalled it in the socket, and got the bulb to light up when I turned the parking lights on.

However on the next trip in the car, sure enough, the rear light outage warning popped on again, and a visual check confirmed that the bulb was, again, not lit.

So back into the access panel again. Except this time, I used the pointed end of a small nail to *carefully* bend the contacts in the socket so that they would pinch the loop connections on the end of the wedge bulb more firmly. After this tweak, I felt more resistance more to my liking when I installed the light bulb, and it lit up when I tested it.

Since my mind was already on task, i checked the other exterior lights of the car and discovered that two other lights--both also 5W wedge bulbs--were burnt out, namely a front parking light in the high beam assembly and a front side marker light. I'll skip how much, um, fun those were to replace, but before installing those wedge bulbs, I did the same tweak of gently bending the contacts so that they would pinch the bulb contacts more firmly. I'll see how it turns out during our next trip out.
Old 12-30-14, 09:51 PM
Bikerdad
Driver School Candidate

Exactly the thread I needed. My 330 rear light outage warning comes on intermittently, so suspect loose connection. Light is out sometimes, so it's still working. So, all of the hatch panel has to be opened up?
Old 12-31-14, 07:05 PM
LSBen
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This fixed my intermittent taillight bulb problem. The bulb was loose and wiggled and now it is snug tight. Thanks
Old 11-24-15, 10:48 AM
eisens
Rookie

I just had this happen over the weekend. Lexus scared the hell out of me when they said I'd have to replace the entire light assembly -- for a part cost of $285! Luckily for me it is the taillight (and the idiot light on the dash) -- not the stop lights which are working fine.

Now I just need to find someone to do this for me as my regular mechanic is taking the week off for Thanksgiving!