RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX300 (year 2004) air suspension fault

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-09, 02:56 AM
Alex_G
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300 (year 2004) air suspension fault

Hello,

Can anyone help me with advice,... i have my rear suspension break,... it just drop down and i cant lift car again even air compressor don't start any more.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Thank you,
Alex_G
Old 08-01-09, 06:41 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_G
Hello,

Can anyone help me with advice,... i have my rear suspension break,... it just drop down and i cant lift car again even air compressor don't start any more.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Thank you,
Alex_G
if you truck is a 2004 than its a 330, if its a 300, then its not a 2004.

so which is it??
Old 08-01-09, 06:43 AM
bagsbie
Driver

I would go by Advanced Auto or any other similar parts store and request a DTC tool to scan for codes. It could be as simple as some electrical problem, puncture in the air bag (should slide under the car and inspect; is it only one side that is "sagging"?), dryer failure, which might have led to the failure of the compressor. In any event, good luck and keep us abreast of what the problem turns out to be, so other folks could read on here of the potential issues.
Old 08-01-09, 06:46 AM
bagsbie
Driver

I think, I should have asked first where you are from. Thanks, kiwi, for pointing it out about the model. In Europe 2004 RX was actually RX300, not RX330, hence the possibility of the OP being from Europe.
Old 08-01-09, 09:33 AM
Alex_G
Driver School Candidate

thank you, ,wich DTC tool, you suggest that i sould buy? Ana yes you're right i'm from Europe.
Two days ago all was perfect and yesterday car start to give out strange sounds and always make big noise when i drive over small hole. So i check it around and one air suspension was down (rear left) there is no air inside and compressor also don't start any more.

Today I put the car on the lift and looked below. I saw that the left rear bag is torn. Could be that only protection bag is torn or taht bag is totaly damaged (i didn't try to remove protection). Also, the compressor no longer turns on.

About DTC tool, wich you suggest, i would order it online. I have testers for WV, audi,... but i don't haev any for Lexus/Toyota.

Thank you,
Alex_G
Old 08-01-09, 10:52 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_G
thank you, ,wich DTC tool, you suggest that i sould buy? Ana yes you're right i'm from Europe.
Two days ago all was perfect and yesterday car start to give out strange sounds and always make big noise when i drive over small hole. So i check it around and one air suspension was down (rear left) there is no air inside and compressor also don't start any more.

Today I put the car on the lift and looked below. I saw that the left rear bag is torn. Could be that only protection bag is torn or taht bag is totaly damaged (i didn't try to remove protection). Also, the compressor no longer turns on.

About DTC tool, wich you suggest, i would order it online. I have testers for WV, audi,... but i don't haev any for Lexus/Toyota.

Thank you,
Alex_G
buying one is an option, but i think bagsbie is suggesting advanced auto becuase they will check for free. unfortunatly not everywhere has that service, i live in nova scotia, and as far as i know there isnt anywhere that will check for free,

so definetly check a few places and see if you can get a checked for nothing, if not you might need to buy a scanner or go to the dealer
Old 08-01-09, 11:46 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

why not just go back to lexus? I have had one suspenion problem, and the situation was that the front of the car was down, and the rear of the car was up, and it was stuck in that position. Turned out a wire in the back was torn and they needed to change it. good thing it wasnt the entire air suspension assembly because that would have been costly.

I think it cost me 300 dollars at lexus to repair.

even if you find an auto place that will check for codes on your car,they might not be able to fix it. Seems like a very difficult area that not many people may know how to fix
The following users liked this post:
Bryson (05-16-21)
Old 08-01-09, 11:55 AM
bagsbie
Driver

Unfortunately, I am not sure what they might have available in Europe but here, in the US they often use Actron code scanners. If the air bag is torn it is one thing and the compressor could be another. I am not very familiar with the air suspension but if the bag is torn it could switch the compressor off as well. I suggest to try find a mechanic who is familiar with the air suspension. Where in Europe are you?

Here's the Actron site for you:

Actron Scanners
Old 08-01-09, 01:27 PM
Alex_G
Driver School Candidate

On Monday I have apointment at the Lexus service and hope that it will be only some minor damage to the system (like sensor, wire,...). I realy hope that bag and suspension is ok,... also i realy hope that compressor have soem protection and it's realy just in shutdown mode.

Anyone have any idea where to get soem service manuals for this car,... i did search forum and internet and i didn't found what i realy search.

Thanks for support guys!!!

Alex_G
Old 08-01-09, 01:33 PM
Alex_G
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bagsbie
Unfortunately, I am not sure what they might have available in Europe but here, in the US they often use Actron code scanners. If the air bag is torn it is one thing and the compressor could be another. I am not very familiar with the air suspension but if the bag is torn it could switch the compressor off as well. I suggest to try find a mechanic who is familiar with the air suspension. Where in Europe are you?

Here's the Actron site for you:

Actron Scanners
Hi,

I'm from Slovenia. It's realy smal and nice country and there is also not much RX around.

Regards,
Alex
Old 08-01-09, 02:48 PM
bagsbie
Driver

You can check TIS but you have to pay for access. It is $15/2 days minimum. Good luck on Monday and let us know what the problem turns out to be. I hope it is minor.
Old 08-06-09, 02:13 PM
Alex_G
Driver School Candidate

Default reapair done

Hello,

I got my car back REPAIRED ..

They have to change shock absorber and some protection plastic,... costs was 1014 eur. I hope that's it and that from now on i'll drive my car without problems.

Anyway this costs was covered by my seller (in 6 months warranty). First i ask at Lexus if they would repair this under 6 months warranty if i would bought car from them and they said yes 100%. So i call my dealer and they said same without some bigger problems.

OK,... that's it,... have fun and drive safety

Alex_G
Old 12-05-16, 08:55 AM
hanim
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys , I have RX 300 2004 and having the same problem the front right is down and the rear left is up , changed the airbag , sensors but no luck , Lexus have said that i have to change the wiring loom which will cost £ 2500 but did not , still in a garage and no luck so far . anyone have an idea what this could be ?
The following users liked this post:
Bryson (05-16-21)
Old 05-16-21, 05:49 AM
Bryson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
why not just go back to lexus? I have had one suspenion problem, and the situation was that the front of the car was down, and the rear of the car was up, and it was stuck in that position. Turned out a wire in the back was torn and they needed to change it. good thing it wasnt the entire air suspension assembly because that would have been costly.

I think it cost me 300 dollars at lexus to repair.

even if you find an auto place that will check for codes on your car,they might not be able to fix it. Seems like a very difficult area that not many people may know how to fix
please, I have a similar issue with my Lexus RX300 2004 Europe, can you be of assistance? Thank you
Old 05-20-21, 02:59 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Sorry I no longer own the vehicle or the paperwork. It has been 12 years and I cannot remember what was fixed beyond what was written in my post.