ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009-164/)
-   -   2005 RX330 Personalized Setting (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-2nd-gen-2004-2009/435939-2005-rx330-personalized-setting.html)

ericg 06-21-09 05:19 PM

2005 RX330 Personalized Setting

Does anyone know how to change the personalized setting for the steering wheel? Currently, the wheel retracts every time the key is removed and I would like to make the steering wheel stay in its existing location when the key is removed. Thanks...................

Eric

tommewin 06-21-09 07:05 PM

As far as I know, I thought you had to take your car to the dealership to modify personalized settings.

Sunapollo 06-22-09 07:20 AM

Yes you need to program it at your dealership... there're a lot of other settings to play with. Ask your dealer about it. They may charge you for an hour labour for it ... which may only take them like 10 minutes.

mws4ua 06-22-09 12:18 PM

Out of curiousity, why don't you want the wheel to retract when you turn the vehicle off?

ericg 06-22-09 01:58 PM

personalized settings

mws4ua, it really is an annoyance and something that I feel would accellerate wear especially when I don't need it to assist in entering or exiting the vehicle. Everything involving service is so expensive for this vehicle as it is.

hesham1 06-22-09 03:41 PM

thats true i wonder the same thing. when that motor wears out, could be expensive!

has anyone had to replace this yet?

daryll40 06-22-09 03:47 PM

If you guys are worrying about stuff like that you honestly should be driving a less expensive and complex vehicle. It's one thing to economize....I am all for that. But not using the power steering wheel because the motor MIGHT wear out....that's like driving with the windows up on a hot day with the A/C off to save on gas.

mws4ua 06-23-09 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by ericg (Post 4620921)
mws4ua, it really is an annoyance and something that I feel would accellerate wear especially when I don't need it to assist in entering or exiting the vehicle. Everything involving service is so expensive for this vehicle as it is.

I hear you. FWIW, though, I've never heard of the motor wearing out on an RX or any other higher-end Toyota. (My mother-in-law's Avalon Limited, for example.)

Let us know if you get it changed, and how much they charge. Also, while you're there, see how much the mechanism would cost to replace. I'm curious now.

ericg 06-23-09 04:57 PM

mws4ua, I called the service rep at my Lexus dealer. There is a hand held unit that connects to a diagnostic connector under the dash which allows the tech to change any one of a number of settings for the lights, back door etc. as well as the steering wheel auto retract. Sine I get the car serviced at the dealer, the service rep said that they would do it for free the next time I brought it in. As I stated before, it was more of an annoyance than anything else. I just think that it is crazy to offer so many choices but once you commit, the owner cannot change his mind without possibly incurring a charge to make a change.

Eric