RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Clunking pop while steering

Old 05-08-22, 02:11 AM
ErikRX350
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clunking pop while steering

2008 RX 350 AWD.

After tranny swap there was a clunk pop that seemed to hit at a certain point in turning wheel, and once at that point you can roll back and forth over the spot and constantly pop it.

Happens while parked as well as driving. Steering does not seem to be effected (before the tranny swap a swaying boat motion would occur at higher speeds, then tranny went and forgot about it). I've had someone move wheel while vehicle jacked up several times now and cannot pinpoint it. Which is super frustrating because it's loud AF. I can BARELY feel anything while holding between the inner and outer tie rod, but it's so faint that I wonder if I'm even feeling something. I thought cv axles as I knew they were worn and a bit sloppy when they were out. No difference.

Ball joints look ok, outer tie rod looks like they are ready for replacement but not blown out, one inner tie rod has a leak in boot- no drip but I can hear build up and then squishing in it after so long of turning steering wheel.

Can inner tie rods pop that loud? It's very slight but turning the wheel by force, while cars on, at a certain point you can feel the wheel slack up and then go stiff again. So it's like ->->->-->->-> and that took awhile to find because it's so subtle and doesn't happen every time.

I've also read about the steering shaft/gear beijg a problem. And I don't like the mount on passenger side the rack and pinion bolts through if I remember correctly. I lost the rubber sides at some point for it. It feels tight, but still. I've greased everything that could possibly make noise with no difference. It has increased in sound of as well as frequency. Feels great driving straight, no noticeable steering issues, and I'm out of ideas other than replacing inner and outer tie rods w that boot. I've never replaced a rack and pinion and have no idea what a bad one does. I left it attached when I dropped subframe.

Any opinions or ideas are very much welcome. I'm tired of messing with this bastard and my ex wants her car to not pop and sound awful.

Thanks guys
Old 05-08-22, 08:34 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 460 Likes on 401 Posts

Have a look at the steering column......
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (05-08-22)
Old 05-08-22, 05:06 PM
iMSQ
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 185 Posts

Check if strut mounts are tightened well
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (05-08-22)
Old 05-08-22, 07:15 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 858 Likes on 688 Posts
Default Popping steering sound

Originally Posted by ErikRX350
... while cars on, at a certain point you can feel the wheel slack up and then go stiff again...
Not good, should be buttery smooth and consistent moving the wheel lock to lock in full range of motion.

As mentioned above it could be steering.
Check out "Steering Intermediate Sub-shaft Assembly" to make sure it's sligned and instaled correctly/no binding for an idea for place to start.

Also as mentioned above is strut mounting issues, these can be loud when they pop.

A trick I do is:
1) Loosen the 3 top strut mount bolts a little(but not remove) on one side.
2) Jack up the car with wheel off the ground and gently set it back down and let the strut find where it wants to settle.
3) Tighten top strut mount bolts.
4) Repeat for other side.
Hint- struts are now straight to the tower with minimum binding, may be other techniques too but that's how I do it.

Old 05-09-22, 08:14 AM
ErikRX350
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Not good, should be buttery smooth and consistent moving the wheel lock to lock in full range of motion.

As mentioned above it could be steering.
Check out "Steering Intermediate Sub-shaft Assembly" to make sure it's sligned and instaled correctly/no binding for an idea for place to start.

Also as mentioned above is strut mounting issues, these can be loud when they pop.

A trick I do is:
1) Loosen the 3 top strut mount bolts a little(but not remove) on one side.
2) Jack up the car with wheel off the ground and gently set it back down and let the strut find where it wants to settle.
3) Tighten top strut mount bolts.
4) Repeat for other side.
Hint- struts are now straight to the tower with minimum binding, may be other techniques too but that's how I do it.

Thank you. I appreciate the explanation.

I will check steering first as no pop before tranny swap. I left the rack and pinion attached, as I didn't wanna screw up anything, but I did not hold it up with anything, or bungee it, due to my inexperience.

This tranny was my most difficult yet. And I was over my head. It is done and running great! But consequences like this popping 👎