RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Is this dealer prepaid maintenance package worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-09, 04:00 PM
Teletubbie
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for the input.
I cancelled my maintenance package.
Old 02-04-09, 07:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Thats a good move, just go by the manual as far as fluid, filter and belt changes as well as tire rotation and you should be all set.
Old 02-04-09, 05:01 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is definitely a good move. I didn't read your original question carefully enough and focused on the 4 years but didn't catch the 50K cap. Was thinking in terms of 15 to 20K miles a year for 4 yrs. that obviously would have involved a lot more $172 5k service intervals which would have made the prepay at the quoted price more attractive. Good for you.
Old 02-05-09, 05:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The same package for a Toyota Highlander AWD is like $550.
Old 02-09-09, 07:25 PM
Todd
Pole Position

Default That is not money well spent

As stated many times here before the scheduled maintenances are a rip. If you review what is done at each interval which is clearly outlined in your manuals you will see that except for a couple items between 0 and 50,000 it is basically and oil change and tire rotation and inspections.

I take my wife's to the dealer for each service interval and request only those items specifically required. Most of the time it is just an oil change which they charge $39 for. While there they do an inspection as they are always on the lookout for things like brakes etc they can bill for. Just specify what items you want done per the schedule in your manual and you will save hundreds of dollars. And oh yea, don't give me the loaner and wash job line. We didn't even buy our Lexus at the dealership that services it and we get loaners and washes. Even if we didn't, what is it, a $6 wash and an hour wait time in an upscale lounge.
Old 01-03-11, 07:25 AM
davidlu54
Driver School Candidate

Default Warranty and maintenance

Is it true that you must have the scheduled maintenance done at a "certified" Lexus dealer for Lexus to honor its warranty?
Old 01-03-11, 08:23 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlu54
Is it true that you must have the scheduled maintenance done at a "certified" Lexus dealer for Lexus to honor its warranty?
No, you only need to provide proof of service if the warranty issue is related to a maintenance item, i.e. engine failure would require proof that you changed the oil according to the service schedule. This could be receipts from Walmart if you are a DIY type.
Old 01-03-11, 08:40 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just have all routine maintenance done at the local Toyota dealer. The cost is about half that of Lexus. I keep all the service orders in a file folder for proof of service. I also enter the service record at the Lexus owners website. All Lexus owners should register at this website. You can see the complete maintenance history of the vehicle, download manuals, review any recalls, etc.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers
Old 07-11-11, 12:18 PM
ninja2000
Driver School Candidate

Help...I reading a lot of post but I don't have the answer I'm looking for. My car is at the dealer right now and they told me that they need to replace the rotor and pads and they are charging me for labor. I remember (from lexus maintenance plan) that they told me that labor is included on the plan. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-11-11, 01:42 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ninja2000
Help...I reading a lot of post but I don't have the answer I'm looking for. My car is at the dealer right now and they told me that they need to replace the rotor and pads and they are charging me for labor. I remember (from lexus maintenance plan) that they told me that labor is included on the plan. Thanks for your input.
More info needed. Is your RX still under factory warranty? What is the year and mileage? CPO or Lexus extended warranty?
Old 07-11-11, 02:19 PM
dcdyd
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ninja2000
I doubt labor is included in the warranty for changing the pad and rotor.

I had experience that dealer suggested me to change pads at the time when I brought my 08 for warranty repair. But I know for sure that the pad can go another 10K becuase I inspected it just a week ago.

Even if the pads change are needed, bring it to a local shop. Dealer charges a lot more than local shop. CHanging pads and rotors are jobs everyone can do. I do it myselves.
Old 01-29-15, 10:29 PM
Mehul1456
Driver School Candidate

Default No Proof of dealer service required... Technically

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
No, you only need to provide proof of service if the warranty issue is related to a maintenance item, i.e. engine failure would require proof that you changed the oil according to the service schedule. This could be receipts from Walmart if you are a DIY type.
I was reading through the manual of ym 2015 NX, although not an RX I wasted to point out a couple things.

1. In my manual it clearly states that having the car serviced at a place other than the dealership is not grounds for refusing warranty work (unless they find/prove that the service/parts used by "the other guy" are at fault for the malfunction).

2. It also states that not having proof of service is not grounds for refusing warranty work. unless of course if they can prove that no service was done.

3. using non-genuine lexus parts is not a reason for refusing warranty work. unless they find/prove those parts are not upto the same quality/durability of the OEM or they prove that the non OEM part is at fault for the malfunction

That being said the dealers will do everything they can to put the fault on you. IMO it is best, while the car is still under warranty, to do all servicing (except oil) at the dealership or DIY using genuine OEM parts/fluids.
Old 01-30-15, 03:28 PM
Band
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't believe these prices
I buy a 5 Qt. jug of Mobil 1 at wal mart for $24 and go to our reputable Toyota dealer where they do a change with filter for $23. Less than $50 total for a top quality synthetic and OEM filter..
Local tire company (Les Schwab) runs coupon specials on tire rotation (free) or buy tires from an outlet that does free rotations on their tires (Costco)
Buy a tread depth gauge ($3.00) and keep an eye on your tires. 5K mi rotation may be a little excessive.
My technic to avoid warped rotors: I've NEVER warped a disc rotor. Slow stop and then a partial release enough that car just moves forward. Just enough pressure to hold the car with frequent releases to let the car move a few inches. This becomes second nature and is done without even thinking about it. No hot spots under the pads.
The Toyota dealer never fails to come up with extra recommended service items, so this notion of paying for this advice is
I should add that I'm retired and have the time to play these games.