RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
Old 12-15-14, 04:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Reset for car after disconnecting & reconnecting the battery?

Old 06-08-16, 02:01 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Marsat:
Let's put it this way: there are no reports of anyone surviving the battery exchange procedure you have suggested. If you try it, post something here before you start, so we can watch to see if you make any further posts.
Old 06-08-16, 10:24 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Attaching jumpers will retain the memory settings. And it would most definitely be awkward. I think the risk of the jumpers touching something and shorting out is pretty high. The 9 volt battery connected to the OBD II port is much safer.
Old 06-09-16, 06:26 AM
tfischer

There are several devices designed for holding the memory settings while a battery is disconnected. Nine Volt battery connections, usually made through the lighter socket (remember when people lit ciggies while inside cars?) are the most common, but some systems can drain that 9v pretty quickly. Schumacker makes an item that connects through the computer port and connects on the other end to a 12 volt source; this looks to me to be the best method, but is probably too expensive for something seldom used. (You can find this device on Amazon - it has nice little lights on it and everything.)
Old 06-09-16, 05:08 PM
DennisMik
Racer

When you use the power outlets/cigarette lighter, you must turn the key to accessory or on position. When you do this, many portions of the car's electrical circuitry is will be activated (especially with the on position) and this will drain a small battery quickly. By using the OBD port, it is not necessary to use the ignition key and a lot less electrical circuitry is powered by the battery.
Old 12-24-19, 08:37 AM
UcheB
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey

Originally Posted by jfelbab
There is a dealer checklist of things to reset when power has been removed. For the windows I believe you need to go to each window and hold the button until the window goes all the way down and back up. For the roof you need to hold the tilt button until the roof tilts, closes, slides back and then slides forward then release. The easiest way to deal with long term storage is to buy a battery minder device. These can be had for as little as $25 at times and will keep your battery in good health.

You might also have lost some of your specific custom settings by removing the power, I can't recall if that is saved in non-volatile memory.

This process has also cleared your car's driving style memory. The vehicle learns from your driving and fine tunes the way it drives based on that history.
Sorry please am experiencing almost same issue. My Es300 2002 model battery got replaced, ever since it been replaced,the car has not be in a good shape. I think it lost some memories. I dont enjoy the smooth driving like as i use to before the b3 got replaced. The most anioning parts is that wen i start the engine in the morning the RPM will go as far as 3 to 4. Making the car to mak high noise. Please help what can i do to fix this issue. Thank u.
Old 04-28-21, 03:48 PM
DenS460
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Whiny whind down

Originally Posted by eagle
Hi,

The battery on my wife's 07 RX350 was replaced in late November. She was advised to drive it regularly so as not to run it down due to inactivity.

Knowing she'd be out of town for a month, we figured we'd just disconnect the battery like we'd done with our other cars. (Negative post was disconnected)

She connected the battery today and it started just fine. She had to reset the seats, radio, steering column, etc.

She noticed that the only the driver side window goes up and down. None of the other three windows work. She hasn't checked the moonroof.

She also noticed that when you turn off the car, it sounds almost like a jet engine that whines/winds down vs. a simple quick engine cutoff.

Questions:
- Is there a reset for the windows?
- Is the whining wind down sound the engine makes upon turning it off require some sort of a "reset" also? Done by the dealer perhaps?

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
eagle
I had same noise. My fan motor was going out. Replaced. Noise gone.
Old 04-28-21, 05:57 PM
tfischer

To save yourself a lot of hassle, next time don't disconnect the battery. Get a Battery Tender (not a battery charger) and connect that to the car's battery when you leave it parked for more than a few weeks. This is what we do for motorcycles and convertibles, for example, that are not used during the winter. I've had one for years that I use on my convertible during the winter, or on any car when I am out of town for more than a few weeks. Foolproof, and you always come home to a fully charged battery that starts the car every time. Highly recommended.
As far as the resets go, you usually need to run the windows and sunroof through an open and close cycle and somehow that makes them sync up.
The following users liked this post:
ronkelley (04-28-21)
Old 04-28-21, 08:31 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 91 Posts

--

To illustrate how well Battery Tenders work, first is that I have used them for years on vehicles not driven for the winter to keep the battery fully charged and all settings intact. I use them on an ATV, a UTV, two motorcycles, a car and a truck. The vehicles always start up right away (although some are a little rough for a moment due to the oil having drained down). But I have a camper that sometimes doesn't get used for several years at a time and when used, the batteries are still working perfectly. Those two batteries have been in the camper for over 25 years!

--

Old 04-29-21, 12:43 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Originally Posted by ronkelley
--

To illustrate how well Battery Tenders work, first is that I have used them for years on vehicles not driven for the winter to keep the battery fully charged and all settings intact. I use them on an ATV, a UTV, two motorcycles, a car and a truck. The vehicles always start up right away (although some are a little rough for a moment due to the oil having drained down). But I have a camper that sometimes doesn't get used for several years at a time and when used, the batteries are still working perfectly. Those two batteries have been in the camper for over 25 years!
--
25 years?!? wow!!!
Old 04-29-21, 12:54 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMik
25 years?!? wow!!!
--

Consider that there is no constant drain on the batteries other than when in active use ( i.e.; no clock, radio, etc.), so it's sort of just like being on a shelf most of the time. Even when in storage, I sometimes operate the electric jacks but then the batteries are back on the charger right after.

--