RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Favorite wax/polish

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-08, 02:42 PM
larry09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Favorite wax/polish

Have a new 09 Pebble Beach Truffle Mica color, which is interesting. What wax or polish is your favorite. I think enhancing the Truffle Mica with a great wax or polish would be even better.
Old 12-28-08, 02:49 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Pinnacle Souveran Paste Carnauba Wax

Pinnacle XMT Polish

Those are the two I'd use.

This kinda belongs more in the detailing forum, verus the RX forums, but meh.
Old 12-29-08, 09:36 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Swissvax Finesse, Zymol Japon, Pinnacle Souveran or Chemical Guy's Pete's 53. Both the Finesse and Japon are specifically made for Mica paints
Old 12-29-08, 09:57 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

What is Zymol Japon...I use the normal Zymol...like it.
Old 12-29-08, 02:36 PM
Scottydog
Driver

For stuff you can get anywhere NXT. For show-car shine Zaino.
Old 12-29-08, 03:14 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by larry09
Have a new 09 Pebble Beach Truffle Mica color, which is interesting. What wax or polish is your favorite. I think enhancing the Truffle Mica with a great wax or polish would be even better.
Here is the Club Lexus Poll.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...e-and-why.html

What the poll doesn't tell you is that if your car is prepped correctly you probably will not be able to say with any certainty which wax was used. The key to the look is in the prep stage. The wax or sealant just seals the look.

In terms of durability there is clearly a difference but as for looks the differences are very very subtle.
Old 01-02-09, 10:55 AM
yippeeiaye
Rookie

Ultima Paint Guard Plus is a polymer sealant that shines & protects your paint for up to 9 months. Best car paint protection I've used. It's expensive & you can't find it at your local auto parts store.
Old 01-02-09, 05:40 PM
jbdvm1988
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this past summer i decided to try the griot's garage approach. i like the idea that its a system. the random orbital polisher is phenomenal. my vehicle is burgundy and when i completed the process it appeared that most of the fine clear coat imperfections/scratches were gone. their car wash is so-so and their glass cleaner is very inferior to invisible glass but the other products are simple to use and produce great results
Old 01-03-09, 05:45 AM
Tom H
Rookie

Zaino. Amazing results and UV protection.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
Old 01-03-09, 06:46 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

I always clay my new vehicles. I clayed the new RX & it really didn't need it at all. I have a feeling the dealer may have done it as I have always clayed my vehicles before and have taken off lots of stuff with the claying.
Old 01-03-09, 08:35 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Here is my experience: [for the purist none of them are true waxes)

Nu Finish: Cheap, readily available, easy to apply, excellent short and long term results. Bad: Do not get on textured plastic/ rubber moldings-seals (door seals) .. they will turn gray and you can never get the product off.

Zaino: Expensive and not readily available. Long process if you go through the recommended steps. Excellent results.

Mcguire Gold: Readily available, easy to apply. Not happy with long term results (lasts few months)

Salim
Old 01-03-09, 03:06 PM
larry09
Driver School Candidate

I have an 82 Corvette and recently tried Turtle Wax Ice that I got at Walmart. Results were very good. Had to call the wifey outside to look at the results. But, its wax and does not seem to be lasting a long time. I have uses Nu Finish over the years and it is a good standby. Agree on the black rubber, however. For that reason, staying away from it.
Old 01-03-09, 03:28 PM
cduluk
Pole Position

collinite # 845 insulator wax. The most durable you will ever use. Buff it up and the shine will last a VERY long time. It's what all my local detailers use.
Old 01-03-09, 04:40 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've tried several expensive waxes but I always came back to Meguiars Carnauba. Lately I've been using ***********. It's a combination waterless car wash that also polishes the finsh.
Old 01-04-09, 05:22 PM
Daverubino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by larry09
I have an 82 Corvette and recently tried Turtle Wax Ice that I got at Walmart. Results were very good. Had to call the wifey outside to look at the results. But, its wax and does not seem to be lasting a long time. I have uses Nu Finish over the years and it is a good standby. Agree on the black rubber, however. For that reason, staying away from it.
I have to agree with the Turtle Wax Ice. I have two boxes of waxes and cleaners in my garage and Ice is my current favorite. It's quick, fast, goes right over the black parts that normally hate wax and it seems to last just fine for me. Anyway, that's my 2 cents and my first post here since I totaled my TL and bought a RX330.

Quick Reply: Favorite wax/polish