RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

steering wheel locked and key won't turn?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-13, 07:55 AM
DonnaC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 ignition locked

I also own an RX350. About a year ago the steering wheel and ignition were locked. Had it towed and after 2 days, my mechanic put powdered graphite into the ignition and it started. No problems until a few weeks ago.

The steering and ignition were locked again! After two days of trying to get it to start - no luck. I had to have it towed to the dealership.

They concluded that the ignition was worn out and needed to be replaced -$700 later. All fine for two weeks, then it happened again! Got it started after an hour and drove it to dealership. They checked the new ignition and said it all looked fine and they could not get it to duplicate! I was also instructed NOT to touch the steering wheel when I get out of the car because then the steering wheel will lock and that can cause the ignition to lock! So, for a week, I make sure I don't touch my steering wheel when I get out of the car! Today, as I was standing outside the driver's door of the car, I leaned in to get something off of the passenger seat. I touched the steering wheel and you guessed it! - The steering wheel and ignition locked again! 15 minutes later, got it started! I call Lexus and they say just don't touch the steering wheel and it should be fine!!! REALLY! I just can't believe that is the only solution?!!!!
Lexus is aware of this problem and have corrected it in the newer models but won't do anything about older models? I want to get rid of it now but really can't afford to! I love the car otherwise and would like to be able to keep it without having to worry about NOT touching the steering wheel when I get out of the car!
Old 10-14-13, 04:41 AM
ronmilberg
Driver School Candidate

When it goes into this security mode, you have to wrench the steering wheel back and forth VERY HARD and simultaneously keep attempting to turn the ignition key on, may require a second person to assist.
Old 03-23-14, 07:23 AM
PapaBear34
Driver School Candidate

Default Just had this happen to me this morning...

and it's the second time it has happened to us since we've owned it (2 1/2 years). It ONLY happens on really cold mornings. We live in CO and it doesn't usually get below 0 here like it does in the midwest/great lakes area but when it does that's when this has happened. We have a 2007 GX470 with 95K miles on her.
The first time it happened we had to just let the car sit in the Sun for awhile and then voila!
Today we were trying to get it going without the benefit of Sunlight because it was too early. I tried all the old tactics (giggling the key, turning hard on the steering wheel in either direction, pressing hard on brake pedal and even disconnecting the battery cleaning the posts and connectors and reconnecting it all...NO DICE).
We had just about given up on it and thought we would need a new ignition when I decided to try the same things for the 10th time. Wouldn't you know it, it worked this time. I don't understand why it worked on the 10th time and not the 1st-9th but it worked and what finally did it was this:
1. Put foot on the brake pedal
2. Crank and hold steering wheel all the way to one side or the other
3. Place just the tip of the key in the ignition and giggle it like there's no tomorrow (flat side to flat side) I was giggling that key like it was vibrating and slowly slid the key all the way into the ignition
4. Once it was all the way in I continued to giggle the key (flat side to flat side) and then tried turning key to ON it cranked right over.

Conclusion: Who the hell knows but the smart money is on the combination of COLD COLD weather and tumblers inside the ignition being a little sticky. The other posts mentioned a product that works for keeping these well-lubricated (graphite spray I believe).

Last edited by PapaBear34; 03-23-14 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-28-14, 04:37 AM
rlhaugen
Driver School Candidate

I just had this exact problem. It's done this before, but as others stated I'm usually able to jiggle the locked wheel a little and get it to "click". This time it wasn't budging. I finally adjusted the steering wheel angle a little and it clicked right away -something else to try I guess.
Old 03-28-14, 05:33 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had cold sweats, flashbacks etc while reading through all these posts. I have a 2006 RX 350, but it didn't happen yet. Once had an Isuzu pickup truck and the key started acting like it was welded to the ignition, while a guy on a caterpillar chose the same track I was in (no amount of waving and shouting seemed to attract his attention). Afterwards (yes there was an afterwards fortunately) I used silicone spray in the lock with good results. Can I use silicone spray in the RX 350's lock as well?
Old 07-19-14, 04:19 PM
swpepper
Driver School Candidate

Default 2001 RX 300 Ignition Locks up

My wife has mistakenly used the key from my 2002 ES 300 to start her 2001 RX 300. When she does this the ignition locks. Lexus recommends using the correct key to unlock and lock the driver door 3 times to reset the security system. Then, pushing with both feet on the brake try to start the car. This has worked in the past but this time it did not. I followed the suggestion of tapping on the key in the ignition with the handle of a screwdriver. I used the emergency key that comes with car because it is bare metal. I gave it a few firm taps and the ignition turned right away. It does seem as if it is the tumblers that are getting stuck.
Attached Thumbnails steering wheel locked and key won't turn?-lexus-key.jpg  
Old 02-20-15, 11:19 AM
friends222
Driver School Candidate

Smile It worked!!!

Originally Posted by PapaBear34
and it's the second time it has happened to us since we've owned it (2 1/2 years). It ONLY happens on really cold mornings. We live in CO and it doesn't usually get below 0 here like it does in the midwest/great lakes area but when it does that's when this has happened. We have a 2007 GX470 with 95K miles on her.
The first time it happened we had to just let the car sit in the Sun for awhile and then voila!
Today we were trying to get it going without the benefit of Sunlight because it was too early. I tried all the old tactics (giggling the key, turning hard on the steering wheel in either direction, pressing hard on brake pedal and even disconnecting the battery cleaning the posts and connectors and reconnecting it all...NO DICE).
We had just about given up on it and thought we would need a new ignition when I decided to try the same things for the 10th time. Wouldn't you know it, it worked this time. I don't understand why it worked on the 10th time and not the 1st-9th but it worked and what finally did it was this:
3. Place just the tip of the key in the ignition and giggle it like there's no tomorrow (flat side to flat side) I was giggling that key like it was vibrating and slowly slid the key all the way into the ignition
4. Once it was all the way in I continued to giggle the key (flat side to flat side) and then tried turning key to ON it cranked right over.

Conclusion: Who the hell knows but the smart money is on the combination of COLD COLD weather and tumblers inside the ignition being a little sticky. The other posts mentioned a product that works for keeping these well-lubricated (graphite spray I believe).
This worked perfectly! Thank you so much. I can't believe it. I saved myself $1000.
Old 03-02-15, 07:58 AM
dandg
Driver

Originally Posted by swpepper
My wife has mistakenly used the key from my 2002 ES 300 to start her 2001 RX 300. When she does this the ignition locks. Lexus recommends using the correct key to unlock and lock the driver door 3 times to reset the security system. Then, pushing with both feet on the brake try to start the car. This has worked in the past but this time it did not. I followed the suggestion of tapping on the key in the ignition with the handle of a screwdriver. I used the emergency key that comes with car because it is bare metal. I gave it a few firm taps and the ignition turned right away. It does seem as if it is the tumblers that are getting stuck.
Just had this happen with my wifes RX 330,its never ever been a issue (my GX did it when I first bought it but has come out of it).
The damn key would not turn,I dug out that flat key and a rubber mallet.If you hold the plastic holder next to the ignition when the flay key is in it it will stop the "security light" and allow the flat key to turn the ignition. I hit that flat key several times real hard-straight into the dash and it worked !

Damn Lexus should fix this issue,never owned cars that did this.
Old 05-20-15, 08:25 AM
lylou2h1a1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine locked up this AM when I was checking my control arm bushings. I had the wheels turned all the way to the right then turned off the engine. When I went in to try and start the car the key was locked.

I read the forum suggestions and turned the wheel hard left then hard right (the way the wheels were turned) and the key turned and I was able to start the car.

I won't be doing that again! I'll just take off the wheel to inspect the control arm bushings, which are just starting to show some tiny cracks.
Old 09-30-15, 03:05 PM
MrPanda72
Driver School Candidate

Default I think I have a fix and learned some don'ts

1. When the ignition switch is working properly, when you turn the steering wheel it won't allow the ignition key to turn.
2. When turning the key, press the key deeper as you turn it.

So far this has worked.. I hope this helps.

I might have to try that graphite spray deal.
Old 01-15-16, 08:32 AM
Hazimwood
Driver School Candidate

This happened in my 2004 GS 300. Pull the steering wheel towards you and try the key again. It worked for me after trying everything else.
Old 01-31-16, 06:17 PM
Yamaha65
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by samsam865
ive got a 2007 rx 350. The steering wheel is locked and the key wont turn. ive tried everything, forcing the steering wheel left and right, forcing the gear shifter to neutral and moving the car. I even tried to spray some wd-40 on the key and then tryin it. does anyone have any sugestions thanks!
I also have a 2007 rx350. The same thing happened to me. I was able to get mine to work again after I sprayed lubricant in the key hole.
Old 02-02-17, 06:05 PM
phil0909
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by PapaBear34

Worked for me too, 98 LS400. Saved my life - thanks! I'm in Southern California, and cold was not the problem. I straightened my front wheels after turning the car off and locked up the security that way. Guess I shouldn't do that.
Old 03-09-18, 04:35 PM
liu
Driver School Candidate

I feel the Obligations to tell everyone how to fix this steering wheel lock issue, Today I ran into this problem, I check the Internet but no fixing method really works, I noticed that the steering wheel is trembling not firmly move or turn while I was trying to rotate it after it was up to my normal driving place, so I lower it back to the low position and then it could be move back forward firmly, at that moment the key rotated. I think when the steering wheel is at the initial point, the low position, it has more link to the tire, may this be the reason for my success,
Old 03-10-18, 08:26 AM
edwardh11
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default lots of this problem on the internet

I think security systems as now set up have too many problems. I have never had a car stolen. dealers like them, increases the cost of a car

wonder what caused this? did a vendor change a part during production or did lexus NOT TEST the security system

Last edited by edwardh11; 03-10-18 at 08:29 AM.

Quick Reply: steering wheel locked and key won't turn?