RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lexus Switchblade Key. Where to get it cut? Or any better ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-11, 12:51 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
I think I will get a pair this week. Only thing holding me back is that key code thing.
Just go to the dealer with your registration and ID and ask the parts guy to look up the key code for you for future reference in case of emergency as you cannot locate yours.
Old 10-10-11, 07:05 AM
eisens
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to check out 1010 on eBay.

I want to vent a bit first. My RX 330 2004 keys (both of them) broke within a week of each other last year. Thanks to this forum I found I could get third-party replacements from Sewell (a Lexus dealer in Texas). They cut the keys and shipped them with empty shells last year. So far so good.

Well, about a year later my $100 investment ($50 a key) both broke within a week. You have to give Lexus their due -- the original keys lasted 7 years and the "clones" lasted one whole year.

My main complaint is that I emailed Sewell asking for a discount at the very least for 2 new keys -- giving them the original confirmation email of my order -- and they were like "so sorry, feel free to buy from us again."

Not what I consider good customer service. I don't plan to buy from them again. Just passing it along. . .
Old 10-10-11, 07:07 AM
eisens
Rookie

Originally Posted by soda7o
i just got the set form 1010 keys on ebay. they cut it before sending it out
transfer was a snap.
There appear to be a lot of choices from $44 to $15 -- which one did you order and why? Thanks.
Old 10-10-11, 08:00 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eisens
My RX 330 2004 keys (both of them) broke within a week of each other last year.
Perhaps the true reason why Lexus developed push button start ignitions -- they cannot make a decent ignition key.

My main complaint is that I emailed Sewell asking for a discount at the very least for 2 new keys -- giving them the original confirmation email of my order -- and they were like "so sorry, feel free to buy from us again."

Not what I consider good customer service. I don't plan to buy from them again. Just passing it along. . .
I noticed that you went to Sewell over your local Lexus dealership. Did you compare prices? Bet you would have paid much more locally than with Sewell. Also, as a member of ClubLexus you already get a discount when you create an account with Sewell. So, your discount is already figured in if the part and/or service is discounted.

Sure, you can possibly pay less if you look around. However, when things go wrong how well will these companies help you? I think that is lost on society these days. Why should a company give a discount to the drive-by customer who is just going to chase the lowest price next time they need to make a purchase? You would be surprised at the discounts or perks I get being a regular customer at some the places I frequent -- and without asking.

And yes, I have broken my keys previous. Broke both originals within the first several years of ownership and while under the original warranty. I called Lexus Corporate and they agreed to replace both of them for me. Have not broken one since as I am much more careful about how I handle the key when turning the ignition. You need to grasp as close to the blade as possible and gently turn the ignition instead of a hard motion.
Old 10-10-11, 08:48 AM
soda7o
Driver School Candidate

There appear to be a lot of choices from $44 to $15 -- which one did you order and why? Thanks.
i think it was 44 and change
2 switchblade keys, cut, delivered and a battery 9although they p battery they sent was the wrong size
Old 10-13-11, 10:52 AM
eisens
Rookie

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
I noticed that you went to Sewell over your local Lexus dealership. Did you compare prices? Bet you would have paid much more locally than with Sewell. (snip).
Sure my local dealer was more expensive -- that is not THE POINT.

The point being I bought a fairly expensive product from Sewell Lexus over cheaper alternatives expecting to get a pretty decent product. If the keys had broken in 5 years I might not have a reason to complain -- but I spent $100 for two keys both of which broke in ONE YEAR.

Even the lousy Lexus keys I originally had lasted for 7 years!

Thanks to this thread I purchased 2 new switchblade keys from 1010 on Ebay for $49.00 for both -- half the price of Sewell for a nicer key. They did not want my keycode, but preferred a photo of the key (for those searching for key codes. I happen to have mine, but they wanted a photo).

Bottom line regarding Sewell is that I expected a higher level of customer service from a Lexus dealer. A little more than "sorry, buy another one from us" would have been nice!

Old 10-13-11, 10:56 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seawell over all has great service and I am impressed with them. Not every thing everyone does will be good or great. Sounds like a bad deal for you. So far they have done well on mistakes made.

Please let us know how the Keys work out!
Old 10-20-11, 12:43 PM
eisens
Rookie

I ordered the regular Lexus key by mistake (wanted the switchblade). I contacted 1010keys on eBay and they assured me they would correct the order.

Within a few days my order arrived -- and insider the package were regular Lexus keys. Very nice quality -- they look and feel like original OEM keys. Still, I had wanted the switchblade keys so I contacted 1010keys.

They responded promptly that they had made a mistake and would ship me 2 switchblade keys, cut to my car, ASAP. No charge. In reality the mistake was initially on my side -- but their taking the responsibility was excellent customer service IMHO.

Today I received the two switchblade keys and they are beautiful. So I now have FOUR Lexus keys -- shouldn't have to worry if one breaks for awhile!

I am very pleased with 1010keys. I see why they have a 99% satisfaction rate at eBay and would definitely do business with them again.

Last edited by eisens; 10-20-11 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-22-11, 11:20 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I will order a couple of these too, since they look quite nice
Old 12-26-11, 03:14 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

I just ordered them Now I can keep a spare.
Old 12-26-11, 04:45 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by infinirx
I just ordered them Now I can keep a spare.
Let us know how this goes, quality, etc. Am on the fence at the moment.
Old 12-27-11, 01:58 AM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered some from 1010 keys on eBay, besides, having to relocate the transponder, they are a quality key. Only other issue, that the new key with the switchblade case, it sticks out further than the stock one and can interfere with the windshield wiper control on occasion, but I like the switchblade key feature. Oh and the cut the key for me with my key code works perfect. Saved a bunch from having to take it to the dealer.
Old 12-27-11, 02:01 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Taking a really clean photo of the key with no shadows was kind of a pain but I think I got it right.
Old 12-31-11, 08:22 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Well so far I got it and it's really a cumbersome install. I messed up and had to spend time figuring how how to put everything back together. Now I gotta test the key. Only thing I am having issues with is how to get it on a key chain. It's so thick.
Old 12-31-11, 11:40 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

thats what she said

Quick Reply: Lexus Switchblade Key. Where to get it cut? Or any better ideas?