RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
View Poll Results: Do you "Extinguish You Engine" When Fueling Your Car?
Yes - I turn the engine off
91.84%
No - I keep it running
8.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Do you shut off your RX when you gas it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-08, 07:38 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveInCal
What I watched was an actual demonstration by a Safety Officer from a major oil company. He held the lit cigarette over a container full of gasoline fumes that were proven to be within the explosive range with an LEL gas detector. Then he drew on the cigarette to get it as hot as possible. Nothing happened. I'm an engineer and I'm all for experiments, and perhaps it's possible, but not from what I saw.
Maybe the cigarette was too far above the fumes or a breeze was blowing the vapors away
Care to do this demo for us, that way you can tell us 1st hand if it works? Just pour a 1/2 gal or so on the floor, wait a few minutes & go for it. Remember vapors stay low so u will have to get low or why not drop the cancer stick on the floor?
Please post your results.
Old 12-03-08, 07:43 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by iKenn
Well the Hybrid turns the engine off but its still on. So i dont know which to pick
If you don't turn it off, then the computer could start the ICE based on several requirements such as cabin temperature. If you don't turn the system to "off", then you leave it running.
Steve
Old 12-03-08, 09:12 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default What???

Originally Posted by oldcajun
If you don't turn it off, then the computer could start the ICE based on several requirements such as cabin temperature. If you don't turn the system to "off", then you leave it running.
Steve
What are u talking about? What does your comments have to do with leaving the vehicle running while refueling?
Old 12-03-08, 09:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

What I watched was an actual demonstration by a Safety Officer from a major oil company. He held the lit cigarette over a container full of gasoline fumes that were proven to be within the explosive range with an LEL gas detector. Then he drew on the cigarette to get it as hot as possible. Nothing happened. I'm an engineer and I'm all for experiments, and perhaps it's possible, but not from what I saw.
If this guy held a lit cigarette over a open container of gasoline and tell you its safe, then he should be fire as a safety officer immediately.
Old 12-04-08, 05:23 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
If this guy held a lit cigarette over a open container of gasoline and tell you its safe, then he should be fire as a safety officer immediately.
I've seen the gas and cigarette demo also, you can put the cigarette out in gas. There has to be a spark or open flame to ignite the gas vapor.
Jeff
Old 12-04-08, 08:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

That must have been quite a show, and thats all it is, its a show. Kind of a illusionist, it can be done if it is done under the right conditions, but for the rest of us who are not profession illusionist:
The ignition Temperature of a standard unleaded gasoline can be anywhere from 260 to 460 degrees C.
Temperature during drawing on a cigarette is around 700 deg C. More than enough to light the gasoline.

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae1.cfm
Old 12-04-08, 12:29 PM
Boognish
Driver

Originally Posted by triplecore
Ok so I guess I am just stupid. Since I'm lazy
Hey man, you said it, not me.

Didn't you ever see Zoolander?
Old 12-04-08, 04:47 PM
SteveInCal
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

That must have been quite a show, and thats all it is, its a show. Kind of a illusionist, it can be done if it is done under the right conditions, but for the rest of us who are not profession illusionist:
The ignition Temperature of a standard unleaded gasoline can be anywhere from 260 to 460 degrees C.
Temperature during drawing on a cigarette is around 700 deg C. More than enough to light the gasoline.

http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae1.cfm
Check out the following website, ~3/4 of the way down the webpage. It may be feasible, but not under normal conditions. Again, I trust the actual testing. http://www.intuitor.com/moviephysics/mpmain.html

Or, check out Mythbusters: http://mythbustersresults.com/special7
Old 12-05-08, 06:23 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I think the important think to know here is that an ignition from a cigarette is improbable but possible.
Old 12-05-08, 09:35 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

I think the important think to know here is that an ignition from a cigarette is improbable but possible.
I'm thinking about the same time the next astroid hits earth and kills off the humans like the last one that killed off the great oil givers.
Old 12-06-08, 02:34 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

just to consider a little. I know one girl, that likes filling up gas with engine on. The problem she faced up with, was not the "fire" but car alarm. Once, it somehow locked up when she was outside!

I know it is not the car problem, but alarm system that was instaled, but have in mind, that those systems sometimes fails, and does such things in most unwanted situation..
Old 12-06-08, 08:03 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default Still waiting

Check out the following website, ~3/4 of the way down the webpage. It may be feasible, but not under normal conditions. Again, I trust the actual testing. http://www.intuitor.com/moviephysics/mpmain.html

Or, check out Mythbusters: http://mythbustersresults.com/special7
Did u do the test yet? Let us know how it turns out but don't forget to try it when there is no wind & then try dropping the cancer stick into the gas fumes.
Old 01-13-09, 05:56 PM
lxus4xms
Driver

Originally Posted by Kaydee
Turning engine off while fueling is just common sense
It is also the law where I live
Old 01-23-09, 01:42 PM
Occam
Driver School Candidate

Pumping gas with the engine on is illegal where I live. Fire regulations. Big fines.

The cited articles involve lighting liquid gasoline with a cigarette.

I wouldn't take an LEL meter at face value. Most won't measure the range you want, it might make a difference if the detector was an ambient-sampling or a direct-draw / sampling pump type, differing sensitivities to different fuels, blah blah blah. Too many variables. I've designed five myself in the last 15 years, I should know.