RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Chrome Door Handles DIY

Old 09-26-08, 08:47 PM
RA080623
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Door Handles DIY

I thought I would post some directions in case anyone is interested. Thanks to everyone that gave me hints that kept me on the path.

First - the chrome handles are Toyota OEM. They are replacement handles and not the 3m stick on types. Ordered them from zeroism702 on Ebay. Great vendor. Not sure if they would have been cheaper on this continent but I doubt it.

I have some pics of the install but can't post more than one on this forum.

Front Doors - Real Easy.
1. Remove the round plastic cover on the side of the door. Its in line with the door handle and above the latch.

2. You will see a torx screw. Simply loosen the screw all the way. You don't have to worry about it falling to the bottom of the door as there are clips keeping the screw in. Check this first just in case. My 04 had the clips and none of the screws would accidentally come out.

3. On the DS door, wiggle the entire lock mechanism out. I was careful not to turn or move the end. The chrome plastic piece clips onto the lock mechanism. If you order chrome handles, you will see how easy it is to replace. Just need a little screw driver.

4. You then remove the painted handle by holding onto it and pulling it towards the rear of the car. It will click and then the back of the handle lifts out. It's really easy - just pull it straight back towards the rear then out.

5. Take a new chrome handle, slide the front part in and then the back part. You then slide the handle towards the front and you will hear it click into place. You then wiggle the lock mechanism (with the chrome cover on) back into the hold and tighten the torx screw.

6. The only difference on the PS front door is that there is no lock mechanism. The plastic piece just comes out when the torx screw is loosened.

Hint - I couldn't get the screw to line up with the hole of the little chrome piece on the PS. Thought I had the wrong part and was starting to worry. I then realized that the part inside the door holding the screw needs to clip into the door skin. It must have come loose when I pulled the plastic part off. Once I clipped the screw part closer to the skin - all lined up and it tightened up real nice.

Rear Doors - A bit more work.
1. First you remove the door panel.

Using a small screw driver, pop off the cover behind the door lever and also remove the carpet in the door handle.

Then grab near the bottom and pull the panel off the door. There are plastic clips that are standard on all door panels. Make sure none are left in the door. If there are, pry them off and put them back onto the door panel.

The door panel will still not come off. There are 4 silver clips holding the top in. You need to pull the door panel back at the bottom about 60 degrees. Then using a flashlight, you will see 4 plastic clips with the silver metal clip showing. You need to use a flat head screw driver and push straight up on the silver clip and this releases the panel. This part is hard to explain and is a pain in the A.

Once the panel is loose, you need to disconnect the door cables, power window and light connection. Really straight forward.

2. With the panel off, you need to hold the latch mechanism from inside the door and remove the 3 torx bolts holding it to the door. Once loose, simply lower it slowly and rest it inside the door.

3. Once the latch is removed, you will see a torx bolt holding in the little plastic piece for the handle. As with the fronts, simply loosen the bolt. The rear little pieces are also held in with a clip. You need a long set of needle nose plyers to squeeze the cllip together. The little piece just pops off. Again - if you order a set you will see how they are installed. Not hard at all.

The handles also come off the same as the front. Pull straight back and then out.

4. Install the chrome handles and reinstall the latch. Just a note on the latch, make sure that when you install it, the lever inside sits in the groove of a plastic "prong". Actually, before you take the latch off, peek inside the door with a flashlight to see how it sits. You can even pull on the door handle to see how the unit works. It's quite obvious when you see it.

5. Reconnect the cables to the door handle and then re-install the panel. Make sure you restore all your connections. Simply line up the panel and give it a few pops at the top and around the edge to seat the clips. Then put the screws back and cover and your all set.

This may sound hard but once you start to look into it, its not that bad.

Personally - I like the subtle difference of the chrome handles. Pic is not great but they do add a bit of detail.

I found this thread off a Toyota site. Not sure if this is proper protocol but is shows the removal of the front handles better than my explanation. Although the handles are different the concepts are the same. I hope the author doesn't mine.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...ndles-mirrors/

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Chrome Door Handles DIY-2.jpg  
Old 09-26-08, 11:58 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Mind if I ask you how much these handles run you?
Old 09-27-08, 05:31 AM
RA080623
Driver

$168 including shipping from Japan. Tracking number was sent and the package arrived in 5 days.

I was impressed. His communication was absolutely great. Answered all my questions. He has a few other nice items in his store.

Next time I may check a dealer - problem is that there is no Lexus dealer near me.
Old 09-27-08, 10:39 AM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by G2SSM
$168 including shipping from Japan. Tracking number was sent and the package arrived in 5 days.

I was impressed. His communication was absolutely great. Answered all my questions. He has a few other nice items in his store.

Next time I may check a dealer - problem is that there is no Lexus dealer near me.
Thanks! That really is a bummer. Did you have to drive a long way to get your lexus?
Old 09-27-08, 12:18 PM
RA080623
Driver

I live in SSM Ontario (across the border from Sault Michigan). Found my Lexus in Milwaukee.

Took a flight one morning to Chicago, boarded a bus to Milwaukee and had the dealer pick me up at the airport there. It was about $220 cheaper to take the bus than fly directly there. Time wise was actually the same.

It was a nice 7 hour drive home. Got to test out the RX before it became my wife's .
Old 09-27-08, 04:33 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Great write up, pics would have been wonderful!
Old 09-27-08, 08:17 PM
RA080623
Driver

I have some. Not sure if they would have been helpful but I am only able to upload 1 picture.

I think if someone actually orders the chrome handles and starts the process, it's not as hard as it might sound.
Old 09-27-08, 10:58 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G2SSM
I have some. Not sure if they would have been helpful but I am only able to upload 1 picture.
why don't you use imageshack.us?
Old 09-28-08, 06:29 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Or photobucket....or else, post a picture for every reply...that's what I do. Say, pic 1...pic 2....

Come on!
Old 09-28-08, 06:49 PM
RA080623
Driver

Pic 1 - this is the DS front door. It shows the access hole to the torx bolt. You can even see the bolt a bit.
Attached Thumbnails Chrome Door Handles DIY-img_3236.jpg  
Old 09-28-08, 06:52 PM
RA080623
Driver

Pic 2 - Once the bolt is loosened, the entire key lock comes out. There are clips that hold the bolt from falling into the door. You may have to wiggle the lock mechanism out. The pic is me holding the lock. I was careful not move the end as I wasn't sure how the lock worked.

The door piece clipped onto the lock. Just pop it off and put the chrome one on.
Attached Thumbnails Chrome Door Handles DIY-img_3237.jpg  
Old 09-28-08, 06:58 PM
RA080623
Driver

Pic - 3 - still with the front DS door. This pic shows the door handle as it comes off. To get it off, you grab the handle and slide it straight back. You will hear it click free. Then simply pull it out as I have shown.

Not work backwards. Install the chrome handle and when the front and back are in the door, slide it forwards and it will "click" into place. The door handle is functional at this point. Slide the lock mechanism back in and tighten the torx screw. DS door is now done.

Hint. The chrome handles have black pieces on the end. Make sure they don't fall off. You can see this in one of the pics below.

The passenger side is the exact same except there is no lock mechanism. The plastic piece will come off and the chrome piece replaces it.
Attached Thumbnails Chrome Door Handles DIY-img_3238.jpg  
Old 09-28-08, 07:00 PM
RA080623
Driver

Pic 4 - Rear Doors - This is the screw behind the plastic cover of the door lever. You need a flat head screwdriver and pop off the cover. Then just remove the screw. The cover just pops back on when your done.
Attached Thumbnails Chrome Door Handles DIY-img_3242.jpg  
Old 09-28-08, 07:03 PM
RA080623
Driver

Pic 5 - this shows the second screw in the door handle under the carpet piece that comes out. It's not glued or anything- just sits in the pocket.

Now with both screws removed, grab the bottom of the panel or near the inside of the door and pull. The panel is held on with plastic clips that most manufactures use. The top of the panel is still clipped in place at the very top.... see pic 6.

Hint - make sure all the plastic plugs stay with the panel and don't get stuck in the door. If they do just pop them off and clip them back into the panel.
Attached Thumbnails Chrome Door Handles DIY-img_3243.jpg  
Old 09-28-08, 07:14 PM
RA080623
Driver

Pic 6....OK this is not a great pic and my camera battery dies so i couldn't get a better one.

This shows the back door with the latch lowered into the door. Simply take the 3 screws on the door out and unplug the wires that go to the door latch. You will see them when you get the panel off. Once the latch is lowered, you can see the torx screw that hold the little platic handle piece. Unscrew and then remove the handle in the same manner as the front doors.

Oh ya - the door panel. There are four clips at the top that still hold the panel on. This pic is not great but you need to hold the panel from the door at the bottom. You then need a flashlight and you will see silver clips that you simply push up with a screwdriver. This releases the panel. Sorry - not a great description but I think you can see two of the silver clips on the pic at the top of the door.. There is one at each end and 2 in the middle. The panel has slotted areas at the top where you need to push.

Putting everything back is easy. Just remember to line up the blue plasitic piece with the latch mechanism. Best thing to do is before you take the latch off, simply take a look at how it works. You need a flashlight to see.

Not hard at all.
Attached Thumbnails Chrome Door Handles DIY-img_3244.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chrome Door Handles DIY