RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Sunroof Wind Deflector and Mud Guards

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-08, 07:07 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Sunroof Wind Deflector and Mud Guards

Should I get SUNROOF WIND DEFLECTOR and MUD GUARDS on my RX. Will it look better or make it look bad?

I want to make my car look cooler, but my parents don't like anything that quote in their words make it "gangster" ie rims, tints, loud exhaust... They think I'm a rebel now because I got a Radar/Laser detector installed in my car. lol
Old 07-06-08, 11:33 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Mudguards are cool, get the Lexus OEM. Do a search, there's lots of pics and DIY on how to install mudguards.

Sunroof deflector....mayb not as good looking.....just my opinion.
Old 07-06-08, 01:57 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

negative on the mud guards IMO. just look silly i think but what matters is what you would think so go for it if you like it.

a radar detector makes you a rebel, headed toward gangster image. that's funny. are you sure you aren't being punked?

but you got to cut your parents some slack since you're driving a Lexus. work on them to let you get tints. it's practical. helps keep cabin glare and temperature down which means less a/c, saves fuel. I don't know if any of that is true but they probably won't either. just say it with conviction.
Old 07-06-08, 08:18 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ecount00
negative on the mud guards IMO. just look silly i think but what matters is what you would think so go for it if you like it.

a radar detector makes you a rebel, headed toward gangster image. that's funny. are you sure you aren't being punked?

but you got to cut your parents some slack since you're driving a Lexus. work on them to let you get tints. it's practical. helps keep cabin glare and temperature down which means less a/c, saves fuel. I don't know if any of that is true but they probably won't either. just say it with conviction.
good reason. Can you think of a good reason to get my RX repainted into the Black color instead of Bamboo. with black tints would be sick
Old 07-06-08, 08:28 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

hey do the Lexus OEM Mudguards work? Or are they cosmetic item?
Old 07-07-08, 04:38 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

it would be but i think you want to stick with the original color rather than repaint. save the black on black with tints for down the road when you can buy (and choose) your own car. what you've got right now is a slick ride even if it isnt exactly what you want.
Old 07-07-08, 01:58 PM
grouch
Driver

Tell your parents that the radar detector is to keep you in check. Every time it goes off, you slow down even when your under the speed limit.

Look at mud flaps as "paint protection". Drive through a puddle of water and then get out and look at the sides. If that were rocks, then it would be paint chips on the sides.

Lexus has about the most expensive paint job in the industry. You don't want to paint over it or get it repaired.
Old 07-07-08, 03:39 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A couple of mods I'd check out that will be minimally expensive and still make your RX unique - best of all, they are reversible: One, remove the roof rack for a sleek finish. Plenty of information on how to do this on this forum, use your search function.

Second, I might look around at some of the available grilles that can be bolted into place very easily. These are usually moderately priced and again, several examples can be found on this forum.

If you have a good paint shop in your area, consider having the rocker panels, chin, and spoiler painted in the body color. This will visually lower the car (particularly if it is a dark color), while providing a monochromatic look.

Finally, I always recommend the one "mod" that is actually a good investment. Have your car professionally detailed inside and out every year. Have the current coat of wax stripped, the body thoroughly cleaned and clayed, then polished before finishing with a few coats of high-quality wax. Your own weekly cleaning and touchups will be easy and keep your Lexus sparkling year-round, maintain resale value, and make you proud of your baby. Check out the Detail Forum for more information.
Old 07-08-08, 12:17 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Tell your parents that mud guard and sunroof deflectors are not gangster, but I guess you will have to pass on the spinners wheels and the adjstable air suspension that makes the truck jump up and down
Old 07-08-08, 04:54 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lil4X
A couple of mods I'd check out that will be minimally expensive and still make your RX unique - best of all, they are reversible: One, remove the roof rack for a sleek finish. Plenty of information on how to do this on this forum, use your search function.

Second, I might look around at some of the available grilles that can be bolted into place very easily. These are usually moderately priced and again, several examples can be found on this forum.

If you have a good paint shop in your area, consider having the rocker panels, chin, and spoiler painted in the body color. This will visually lower the car (particularly if it is a dark color), while providing a monochromatic look.

Finally, I always recommend the one "mod" that is actually a good investment. Have your car professionally detailed inside and out every year. Have the current coat of wax stripped, the body thoroughly cleaned and clayed, then polished before finishing with a few coats of high-quality wax. Your own weekly cleaning and touchups will be easy and keep your Lexus sparkling year-round, maintain resale value, and make you proud of your baby. Check out the Detail Forum for more information.

thanks that was some good info. ESP the roof rack idea..
Old 07-08-08, 04:55 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
Tell your parents that mud guard and sunroof deflectors are not gangster, but I guess you will have to pass on the spinners wheels and the adjstable air suspension that makes the truck jump up and down
haha a a RX with Spinners in the suburbs then I can bring it to my local town hangout starbucks and scare everyone away.
Old 07-08-08, 05:49 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

I installed the mud flaps and I really like them. They are very subtle and do not detract from the car at all. In fact, I think they look factory, if you buy the OEM Lexus mud flaps. They are really huge, don't hang down a lot, but still keep a fair amount of debris down. The DIY on this is about 15 minutes per wheel and my final recommendation is to only go with Lexus branded parts.
Gary
Old 07-26-08, 05:49 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

I got the mudguards installed at a Lexus dealer and believe it or not I think I got a good deal for them. $140 for parts 4 Lexus guards (or they maybe generic bc no Lexus logo on them) $60 for labor. I will post pictures later.

to early to go to the garage
Old 07-26-08, 10:07 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Here the pic of the back rear. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Sunroof Wind Deflector and Mud Guards-img00017.jpg  
Old 07-26-08, 02:32 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Good! Blends in quite nice.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Wind Deflector and Mud Guards