RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Trading a 2008 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-08, 05:01 PM
Junkxus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading a 2008 RX350

I must say goodbye to the Lexus Club. After continued issues with my wifes 2008 RX (see my posts). I must trade it now with less than 5K miles on it as the most recent problem is an oil leak from the timing chain cover. The dealer tells me to repair it that the engine must come out!!!! I could not be more happy with my 2008 BMW X5. I will be trading the Junkxus RX350 oil leaking, rattle trap, road noised, door handle falling off, thin bodied, brake booster buzzing POS for a BMW X3. The X3 should be great for the wife. I hope Lexus reviews these posts . I will never, ever purchase a Junkxus or Toymotor product in my life again. I read others are having the same oil leak problems. All empires fall, Lexus is well on its way.

Good Bye and God Bless.

Junkxus.
Old 04-20-08, 05:17 PM
leonrx350
Driver School Candidate

Hi Junkxus, Minutes ago, I just posted that I am dumping my RX due to the oil leak and the transmission is a little funky. I had a lot of problems with my X3. But my RX is by far the worst car I have ever owned! I too will never purchase a Lexus/Toyota product again. I am looking at the X5 as the transmission is better than the X3. When you trade be prepared for a huge loss, as these cars have very poor resale. The BMW dealer told me there are many on the market/auction and values are dropping fast. I am so troubled by the whole car thing. Maybe I will purchase a bicycle.
Old 04-20-08, 05:21 PM
banjo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am so sorry you had such a bad experince.....I guess there is a bad apple in every bushell...I read other people's problems but I think they are far and few.between....Doesn't help you though....I hope your next car is a cherry..
I do love my 08 RX.....Good Luck to you...
Old 04-20-08, 08:21 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Banjo said it so well.

We need to keep in mind that we drive machines and all machines are not equal. Some will fall out of spec. There always exists a chance of landing up with a bad vehicle.

I wish both of you best of luck in your future purchase(s).

Since the RX is the most popular SUVs (at least most selling model of LExus), I am sure there are quite a few up for sale.

[ps: You are under no obligation but if you happen to talk to the new owner, do suggest to them to purchase extended warranty .. lets watch out for each other]

Salim
Old 04-21-08, 12:09 AM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lexus.toyocorp rx sales are still good just as it was 10years ago. sad to see people having various issues and saying "never" buy this or that, but it is what it is. enjoy your new ride and hope it give you headaches
Old 04-21-08, 06:07 AM
ZIN
Driver

It only takes an experience like these people just went through to convince them not to ever own another item like it again no matter what it is. The only bad part is they are throwing away an opportunity to actually own for the most part the number 1 manufacturer in automobiles for quality, comfort resale,safety, you name it. There is no way to make every vehicle 100% perfect and someone has to get the bad apple as stated above and I can only hope it isn't me but I feel for the people who get the bad apple cuz I have been there. I just find it sad when you will never buy another Lexus when it is one of the BEST overall manufacturer across the board year after year. Good luck guys sorry to see you go.
Old 04-21-08, 06:55 AM
tjain
Driver

Originally Posted by banjo
I am so sorry you had such a bad experince.....I guess there is a bad apple in every bushell...I read other people's problems but I think they are far and few.between....Doesn't help you though....I hope your next car is a cherry..
I do love my 08 RX.....Good Luck to you...
As long as as the bad apple in the bushell is not the one you own. I am concerened about : oil leak from the timing chain cover and 2 owners on the club so far faced it. I wonder how many else have seen it. Not all RX owners are members of CL. It is easy to say very few of them have the problem.How do we know? Should not happen to a $40000 toy. The engine has to come out to fix it, that is just unacceptable for just under 5 K miles.
This was never reported on earlier models. I will have a wait & see approach for my next 'All new" RX.
Old 04-21-08, 05:46 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

For what it's worth pulling the engine is no big deal when it's not on your dime. I just went from a 1992 Ford Explorer 4x4 to a 2008 AWD RX 350 and could not be happier. I bought the Ford new and while it was still under warranty I mentioned I had an oil leak. The next thing I knew I was in a loaner car and Ford replaced all the oil gaskets which meant having to pull the engine. When they replaced the head gaskets the heads warped and they had to order a new cylinder head. I drove the Ford for another 15 years and it never leaked another drop. The reason I finally felt that I was due for a new SUV was that the Ford's transmission blew at 70K, I paid for that one and the rebuilt blew 35K miles later and I paid for that one. The final straw was when my tachometer went south and I was informed by Ford that they no longer made that part for my Explorer and I would need to find a working tach at a junk yard which I did. When you have to start going to junk, excuse me, salvage yards it's time to get a new one. This is my 3'rd Lexus and I can say that they make the best vehicles. I also have a BMW Z3 which is also well built but I know the BMW X3 has had it's share of tranny problems (automatics not manual) and after my Ford experience I am a little gun shy on that issue. Anyway I hope you find a replacement that does not have the issues you have run into but I think that the majority of Lexus and Toyota vehicles are superb.
Old 04-21-08, 06:00 PM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
For what it's worth pulling the engine is no big deal when it's not on your dime. I just went from a 1992 Ford Explorer 4x4 to a 2008 AWD RX 350 and could not be happier. I bought the Ford new and while it was still under warranty I mentioned I had an oil leak. The next thing I knew I was in a loaner car and Ford replaced all the oil gaskets which meant having to pull the engine. When they replaced the head gaskets the heads warped and they had to order a new cylinder head. I drove the Ford for another 15 years and it never leaked another drop. The reason I finally felt that I was due for a new SUV was that the Ford's transmission blew at 70K, I paid for that one and the rebuilt blew 35K miles later and I paid for that one. The final straw was when my tachometer went south and I was informed by Ford that they no longer made that part for my Explorer and I would need to find a working tach at a junk yard which I did. When you have to start going to junk, excuse me, salvage yards it's time to get a new one. This is my 3'rd Lexus and I can say that they make the best vehicles. I also have a BMW Z3 which is also well built but I know the BMW X3 has had it's share of tranny problems (automatics not manual) and after my Ford experience I am a little gun shy on that issue. Anyway I hope you find a replacement that does not have the issues you have run into but I think that the majority of Lexus and Toyota vehicles are superb.
Ford is not a Lexus. I agree with your point that when you are looking for a part at a junk yard instead of regular sources like delaer or a store, you have had the vehicle for too long and it is time to replace it.

Once Lexus opens the engine, the event will enter the service history for the vehicle and may potentially effect the price when a buyer looks at the service records.
If I were the buyer and see this event in the service history definitely will pass. It's no brainer
Old 04-21-08, 06:44 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by sama
Once Lexus opens the engine, the event will enter the service history for the vehicle and may potentially effect the price when a buyer looks at the service records.
If I were the buyer and see this event in the service history definitely will pass. It's no brainer
If pulling the engine fixes the issue I doubt it it would hurt resale. The point I was trying to make is that pulling an engine is no big deal if done by competent mechanics which I would say most Lexus dealerships are going to have.
Old 04-21-08, 08:27 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Pulling the engine to fix something is nothing new to cars with small engine compartments and good sized engines. The older guys here will remember having to cut holes in fender wells to change the spark plugs on the 428 cobra jet mustangs. My 94 Eldorado needed the engine pulled to fix a leak in the oil pan. If you have a shop and the tools pulling an engine is not that hard but it does take time. I don't see where having something fixed is going to lower resale value, in fact it might help knowing that the problem has already been fixed.
Jeff
Old 04-21-08, 09:29 PM
racingt
Rookie

Wow, too bad for you, my g/f's '08 RX runs great, no problems.
Old 04-21-08, 10:07 PM
Cephus
Driver School Candidate

My family (parents, siblings, wife, and myself) are on our 5th Lexus and no one has had any major problems, outside of normal wear and tear. Good luck on your next find though.
Old 04-21-08, 10:32 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by sama
Ford is not a Lexus. I agree with your point that when you are looking for a part at a junk yard instead of regular sources like delaer or a store, you have had the vehicle for too long and it is time to replace it.

Without the repairs, the perspective buyer would see the leak and when s/he inquires about the needed fix ... will get the same answer .. engine needs to be dropped. So which is worse (deal breaker)?

Salim
Old 04-22-08, 06:47 AM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
Without the repairs, the perspective buyer would see the leak and when s/he inquires about the needed fix ... will get the same answer .. engine needs to be dropped. So which is worse (deal breaker)?

Salim
Either way is a dealbreaker for me, seeing the oil leak or seeing the service history which shows engine was removed to fix the oil leak before 5000 miles.

A newly built engine built at a factory is not equal to a engine fixed at a workshop(dealer or not), period. Engines are supposed to be trouble free for more than 100 k miles if they are built well and maintained well ,not less than 5k miles.

The problem may be with a few engines out of the thousands out there, but I will not be knowingly choosing one of the few out of thousands and sink in my money to buy that vehicle.

Quick Reply: Trading a 2008 RX350