RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Trading a 2008 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-08, 10:31 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by sama
A newly built engine built at a factory is not equal to a engine fixed at a workshop(dealer or not), period. .
Really?
How about Formula-1 engines built not on production line, but in the custom shop?
I’ve been to numerous automotive plants (both, machining and assembly) and trust me, you don’t want to know how your car engine, or other component was assembled. I’ve seen it all.
I would for sure trust good shop with conscientious mechanic to do the engine job.

In regards of this forum making impression on people that Lexus vehicles are no good anymore, etc. please keep in mind that it is typical for people writing to any forum to complain about problems hoping that others will offer advise, etc. Who will spend time writing/bragging about how good his/her car is? I will not. Forums are here to share problems and to went out. Just as what I did.
Old 04-22-08, 10:43 AM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkxus
I must say goodbye to the Lexus Club. After continued issues with my wifes 2008 RX (see my posts). I must trade it now with less than 5K miles on it as the most recent problem is an oil leak from the timing chain cover. The dealer tells me to repair it that the engine must come out!!!! I could not be more happy with my 2008 BMW X5. I will be trading the Junkxus RX350 oil leaking, rattle trap, road noised, door handle falling off, thin bodied, brake booster buzzing POS for a BMW X3. The X3 should be great for the wife. I hope Lexus reviews these posts . I will never, ever purchase a Junkxus or Toymotor product in my life again. I read others are having the same oil leak problems. All empires fall, Lexus is well on its way.

Good Bye and God Bless.

Junkxus.
Man, go X5 at least, I heard teh x3 is having transmission issues.
Old 04-22-08, 11:53 AM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
Really?
How about Formula-1 engines built not on production line, but in the custom shop?
I’ve been to numerous automotive plants (both, machining and assembly) and trust me, you don’t want to know how your car engine, or other component was assembled. I’ve seen it all.
I would for sure trust good shop with conscientious mechanic to do the engine job.

In regards of this forum making impression on people that Lexus vehicles are no good anymore, etc. please keep in mind that it is typical for people writing to any forum to complain about problems hoping that others will offer advise, etc. Who will spend time writing/bragging about how good his/her car is? I will not. Forums are here to share problems and to went out. Just as what I did.
For what is worth, I am not an automobile engineer, but I have worked at the Toyota plants in Georgetown,KY and in Indiana.

I was impressed with the lean manufacturing practices at Toyota which will lead to efficient manufacturing. I decided to buy a RX350 after seeing the practices there, no problems with my vehicle so far except the annoying rattles.

We are talking about mass manufactured passenger vehicles driven by common people here not niche fancy F1 race cars that are built by very highly skilled engineers used by specialized racing drivers and dedicated workshops for less tha 50 to 100 cars a year.

Also this forum is not always about talking good things about the car all the time. It is about sharing the good and bad.

For discussion sake: Would you knowingly buy a vehicle which only has less than 5 K miles and the service history indicates the engine was taken out and put in again say for $36000 (assuming it was bought new for $40000) when a new vehicle is available for less than $40000 and a used vehicle (less than 5k miles) with a clean service history (no engine removed) is available for $36000
Old 04-22-08, 01:53 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

At the end the question will be bargain vs risk.

A savvy shopper (in used car purchase) will look deeper and try to ascertain what actually was done. In this case here RX switched to timing chain and the cover is no longer easily removable as it does not need servicing. The original owner has already paid for the depreciation and condition. [sucks for him right ]. As a shopper if the reduced price is right you will buy or move on. [see my previous assertion that with extended warranty it may be all very worth it]

Removal of engine is not invasive at all. the potential damage could be the interface to the transmission and the rest id just details/tedious work. In this case we are not talking about rebuilding the engine.. this is a case of accessibility.

Lacking details, "engine worked on" can be a stigma and will affect the price.

Salim
Old 04-22-08, 02:12 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts

For discussion sake: Would you knowingly buy a vehicle which only has less than 5 K miles and the service history indicates the engine was taken out and put in again say for $36000 (assuming it was bought new for $40000) when a new vehicle is available for less than $40000 and a used vehicle (less than 5k miles) with a clean service history (no engine removed) is available for $36000

For discussion sake: If I can buy a clean vehicle with good reliability history and good resale value, with low miles, CPO and for quite a bit less than brand new, I will go for it. For the same discussion sake, if I later on find that my vehicle was serviced as we discussed, but still under CPO warranty, I will have no problem with that fact, as long as it runs fine and performs as suppose to.
There are always people out there that only want to buy brand new car only and that would only sleep with virgin.
Old 04-23-08, 08:12 AM
tjain
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
At the end the question will be bargain vs risk.

A savvy shopper (in used car purchase) will look deeper and try to ascertain what actually was done. In this case here RX switched to timing chain and the cover is no longer easily removable as it does not need servicing. The original owner has already paid for the depreciation and condition. [sucks for him right ]. As a shopper if the reduced price is right you will buy or move on. [see my previous assertion that with extended warranty it may be all very worth it]

Removal of engine is not invasive at all. the potential damage could be the interface to the transmission and the rest id just details/tedious work. In this case we are not talking about rebuilding the engine.. this is a case of accessibility.

Lacking details, "engine worked on" can be a stigma and will affect the price.

Salim
It will be baragain: if you get the "engine worked on" vehicle that has less than 5000 miles for around $32 to $33K + add in the Extended Warranty ($1200 to $1799). If the dealer quotes $ 36 k to $ 37 K for the the "engine worked on" vehicle ( pretty sure they will) because it is a 08 model and add in the extended warranty -- it doesn't make sense. Why not go with an 09 and get the peace of mind.

I do not know what the service history will report for this type of repair. A regular customer who has no indepth knowledge about a car like some experienced CL members here will stay away if the service history reports "engine worked on"

When I bought my first vehicle it was a dealer loaner that had 4000 miles(6 months old), a new vehicle of the same model was $16k . I bought the loaner vehicle for $12.5 K after a AAA authorized technician did a complete check of Engine/Chassis/Service history and Carfax report for any accidents/flood damage.
It has more than 125 K miles (my daily commute car for the grid locked traffic, SUV doesn't make sense for this type of commute gives only 18 mpg vs 27 to 30 mpg for the car ) and no major repair so far except for maintenance

So it all depends on the situation , not all people will do this.If you are planning to invest more than $35k on a depreciated/depreciating vehicle better be careful than sorry later.

We have to keep in mind 2010 will be an all new model, so the resale values may potentailly drop.

Last edited by tjain; 04-23-08 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Added more sentences
Old 04-26-08, 10:49 PM
topgun04
Driver

Are we thinking too hard? There are a lot of people who buy used car everyday without even doing a carfax on the car. Let along spent the time to check the service history of the car. Trading in the car now give you a big certain loss up front. How can you be sure that you will loss more if you hold on the car until you are ready to trade it in you normal schedule? I could understand the trade if you get feed up of dealing with problems regarding the car and willing to dump it at any price... But fearing for future loss is not one of the reason.
Old 04-27-08, 06:46 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either way is a dealbreaker for me, seeing the oil leak or seeing the service history which shows engine was removed to fix the oil leak before 5000 miles.
The service history will show that the timing chain cover gasket was r&r to fix oil leak problem.
Old 09-12-14, 06:04 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL, those first two posters sound like BMW salesmen, falling like a rock I tell ya!
Old 09-13-14, 07:46 PM
JProdun
Driver

What Carver said
Old 09-14-14, 01:46 AM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to say...Although there is a bad egg in every crate...I had a BMW X3 (supposedly the most reliable BMW SAV (Sport Activity Vehicle)) before my RX400h and I had SO MANY problems with that car. I bought the RX400h and have had no real problems. The only problems I have had are little problems that relate to my OCD of having a perfect car. When I had my X3, I was in the BMW dealership every couple weeks (tons of pulley problems, panoramic sunroof ALWAYS breaking, weird electrical issues, and lots of intermittent strange sounds). I knew the staff by name and even had the shop foreman's personal number in my phone (I would text him and tell him to be outside waiting so I could try to have him listen to the same strange sound I was hearing before it disappeared). I even ended up dating one of the service advisors (Not joking, bad in bed. LOL). In short, I am sorry you bought a lemon, but don't write off Lexus. Lexus is still one of the most reliable luxury brands you can buy. HOWEVER, my X3 handled amazingly, and the service department brought out freshly baked, still hot cookies every half hour. Maybe that's why I got fat.

Last edited by jakenbake; 09-14-14 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-15-14, 06:00 AM
roadbike56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting thread. My wife wanted a Beamer but I wanted a Toyota product based on the amazing performance of our Highlander. She agreed and now we have the 09 RX. After one week with the Lexus, she told me how much she likes that car. Funny because with all the cars we've owned (16) the only two she commented on were the Lexus and the Highlander.
Old 09-15-14, 08:43 AM
Boomrx350
Driver School Candidate

I just picked up an 07 RX 350 over 100,000 miles and all I can saw is wow. I have owned Accords and Nissans brand new that don't have the same look and feel. Always wanted a Lexus back in the 90s and now have a used one that is in excellent condition and drives great.
Old 10-12-15, 09:04 AM
duramaxlb7
Driver School Candidate

I have 2007 and nothing but problems so far. It is a high mileage car 108k but after research thought it would be a good purchase. I usually do all of my own work and this has been the hardest car to service I have ever owned. Items changed so far: water pump, alternator, power steering pump, boot on rack for power steering. Wife loves look and drive of car but I am pushing her to trade.
Old 10-13-15, 04:31 AM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

2009 Lexus rx350 135k on it still runs mint. No junxus here.